Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

I think the point was around the render clearly showing a glass exterior and delivering something vastly different. This wouldn't be an issue if Freed didn't promise glass in the first place. If this was too expensive for a condo with 1/3 bachelor units marketed to investors, do your research upfront. The glass exterior was also communicated to me personally when asked about it in the sales centre. Like ordering a silk shirt online and getting cotton.

But hey, maybe you're right and we should just accept false marketing and over selling.

Best to maintain a stiff upper lip or cultivate a really relaxed attitude with these endless "bait and switch" disappointments, or they'll drive you to drink or worse. Pull up a comfy lawn chair or hammock in a nice park or beach--and watch the Metropolis on the Move continue to unleash hell all around you.

I think the point was around the render clearly showing a glass exterior and delivering something vastly different. This wouldn't be an issue if Freed didn't promise glass in the first place. If this was too expensive for a condo with 1/3 bachelor units marketed to investors, do your research upfront. The glass exterior was also communicated to me personally when asked about it in the sales centre. Like ordering a silk shirt online and getting cotton.

But hey, maybe you're right and we should just accept false marketing and over selling.

I had pointed out the fraudulent advertisement earlier. Look at what was promised versus what will be provided. A lot about this building changed. Is it better than many other buildings out there? Yes, but that isn’t the point. Had the same complaint with theatre park. Finished product is better than the pack but very different from the render....cheaper.

So why can’t developers be held accountable? If glass was not feasible then why propose it? Why not do the necessary research beforehand? Because buyers here will accept anything as long as it can be flipped or rented out quickly.

I had pointed out the fraudulent advertisement earlier. Look at what was promised versus what will be provided. A lot about this building changed. Is it better than many other buildings out there? Yes, but that isn’t the point. Had the same complaint with theatre park. Finished product is better than the pack but very different from the render....cheaper.

Though to be fair, it isn't the only business where this is true:

http://www.businessinsider.com/fast...12#taco-bells-real-taco-seems-underwhelming-1

AoD

I don't like it either. With that said, It's up to purchasers signing binding contracts for hundreds of thousands of dollars to do their research. A rendered representation and what sales staff communicate doesn't count for anything. The purchase agreement is the only thing that counts.

I'm mind-boggled that people are disappointed in this exterior, and that they wanted glass? Isn't the problem with Toronto condos that they use too much glass - a pretty environmentally unfriendly cladding material and one that doesn't work very well in our climate? Instead, the architects have used a rust-coloured (not grey!) cladding material with more flair and dimension than usual. I really like the look - wish more condos took a similar attempt at avoiding glass/pre-cast monotony.

I'm mind-boggled that people are disappointed in this exterior, and that they wanted glass? Isn't the problem with Toronto condos that they use too much glass - a pretty environmentally unfriendly cladding material and one that doesn't work very well in our climate? Instead, the architects have used a rust-coloured (not grey!) cladding material with more flair and dimension than usual. I really like the look - wish more condos took a similar attempt at avoiding glass/pre-cast monotony.

Couldn't agree more. This looks delicious and ought to be applauded.

If developers could be held financially accountable for reality not living up to renders, the majority would be bankrupt.

I'm "mind-boggled" that you simplified the initial glass design as nothing out of the ordinary, grouping it into the "too much glass" condo category. The promised skin was unlike anything Toronto has seen. In terms of the climate concern, I don't see any issues with similar glass cladding treatments, take a look a few threads earlier at the example in NYC.

I'm "mind-boggled" that you simplified the initial glass design as nothing out of the ordinary, grouping it into the "too much glass" condo category. The promised skin was unlike anything Toronto has seen. In terms of the climate concern, I don't see any issues with similar glass cladding treatments, take a look a few threads earlier at the example in NYC.
I could not agree more; I attended several presentations by both architect and developer to the City and the neighbourhood and the quality and uniqueness of the "skin' was one of their big selling points. As has been said by others, the building as it is being finished is 'fine' - what's wrong is that we were 'promised' better!

In most cases the actual built form is rarely like the rendering, but the spirit and concept should be there.
In this case, it was shown as really impressive amber-copper glass bullnose beams forming a slick luminescent grid for the podium (similar to the Novel building on Bond St, NY), so they should try hard to emulate this quality whether it's glass or not.

From what I heard that building cost $2000.00-$4000.00 a sqf. ( but you would have to verify it) That Glass was imported from Germany and each section was one piece of glass bent. There is no way a building that expense would sell here in Toronto.

The common mistake is that people always assume an artists rendering is the final result. The rendering everyone sees is 2 years before real working drawings are created. It’s an idea a concept kinda like a concept car at an auto show. How often have you seen a concept car on the road exactly the way it was shown at the auto show?
There are hundreds of factors, by-laws, cost, durability, is it even buildable and city input that have to be taken into consideration.
So generally everything should be taken with a grain of salt.
I can tell you this. The metal panel is far better then the glass one for the following reason.
1) Installation 2) durability and longevity 3) window washing) wind load and for that matter snow load (glass had the flange that would hold snow and ice) 4) when I said automotive grade paint I did not say finish is glossy. As with all paint the gloss would fade. Automotive grade means it will last longer.
There are negative factors as well 1) this costs more, 2) if there is more then 1/8” of an inch difference the panel has to be sent back to modify and repaint it can not be cut or welded to without damaging it.
In any case
The install process will take months to complete in case anyone wonders.

On a different topic, does anybody know how the parking is handled both for residents and the public? I saw a P sign in the Breezeway, and discovered that there's actually public parking downstairs, there's a large roll up door first, and then a smaller one that goes down to public parking. Is the first one a service elevator /truck entrance? Do residents go down to the same parking entrance as paid parkers? And how did this happen, did the city require it?
2 roll up doors.
1) first is move in room and garbage room (garbage room is through the move in room in its own room don’t worry)
2) secod roll up door (the one further west) is parking door.
P1 to P2 is public parking and the price is $12. P3-P5 is residential numbered like all with its own automated overhead door.

Hope this answers your questions

Last edited by a moderator:
The common mistake is that people always assume an artists rendering is the final result. The rendering everyone sees is 2 years before real working drawings are created. It’s an idea a concept kinda like a concept car at an auto show. How often have you seen a concept car on the road exactly the way it was shown at the auto show?
There are hundreds of factors, by-laws, cost, durability, is it even buildable and city input that have to be taken into consideration.
So generally everything should be taken with a grain of salt.
I can tell you this. The metal panel is far better then the glass one for the following reason.
1) Installation 2) durability and longevity 3) window washing) wind load and for that matter snow load (glass had the flange that would hold snow and ice) 4) when I said automotive grade paint I did not say finish is glossy. As with all paint the gloss would fade. Automotive grade means it will last longer.
There are negative factors as well 1) this costs more, 2) if there is more then 1/8” of an inch difference the panel has to be sent back to modify and repaint it can not be cut or welded to without damaging it.
In any case
The install process will take months to complete in case anyone wonders.

I'm sorry, I think you're missing the point. If this is the case, why did the builder, sales people, and architect confirm and advertise a glass exterior? This was shouted from the rooftops at community consultations, at the sales centre, in press release articles and so on. If the above is true, why wouldn't they just avoid confirming the exact material? Your points make complete sense, but what is concerning is, not one of these experts clued in earlier in the process that the promised application is miles away from what they could possibly execute. If this podium skin was the selling factor, you'd think some experts would do a bit of research, like you did above. Which took what, 15 minutes to think through?

I notice that there seems to have been no further (visible) progress on the 'orange fins' since the photos posted above on June 2nd. Are they having a re-think?

Back