Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

I have a feeling the photos aren't doing this justice. (At no fault to the photographers)

In my opinion, you can see that the proportions were studied very carefully. The frame adds a pretty dramatic depth to the podium (check it out in person, to be fair) without adding too much visual weight. It reads as very light and yet integral to the podium.

June 1, 2018

(Cellphone pic)

7EAAE2F5-241B-41FD-86DE-56C244BB9A0B.jpeg

Attachments

• 7EAAE2F5-241B-41FD-86DE-56C244BB9A0B.jpeg
    7EAAE2F5-241B-41FD-86DE-56C244BB9A0B.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
I can't think of any other contemporary residential project in Toronto that has a facade like this - how exactly is it underwhelming?

I'm not comparing it to the sea of greay in this city. I'm comparing it to what was proposed and what I see with my own eyes. Overall it it looks good, but I can't deny that the panels in the rendering vs what was actually delivered are worlds apart.

I can see how people might be disappointed, and if I had purchased here thinking I was getting orange glass or something of the like then yes I'd be bummed out. However matte is better in my opinion and I think this looks pretty good.

I suspect that it would be more popular if built 5 years ago. At this point, the podium framing is just a minor embellishment to a design we've seen over and over and over again. With that said, the glass is gorgeous on the upper section.

Why do I get the feeling that if the glossy orange material had been used, people would be complaining as well?

Probably. but I also get the feeling that if they did away with the orange material altogether there would be some who would prefer it that way as well. Can't please everybody. We all have different opinions. I mean, this doesn't look close to the rendering, I don't think I'm off on my sentiments.

This has definitely turned out to be a poor man's version of 40 Bond in New York (see post #193) but it's still more than decent. If only we could get at least a third of our new buildings to take the care and interest in design, like this building has (even though it's a bit of a copy), we would be much better off.

Last edited:

Back