Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

Does not look good:(

5C3CE5AE-9A12-4C1C-8FE0-8354455BC10C.jpeg

Attachments

• 5C3CE5AE-9A12-4C1C-8FE0-8354455BC10C.jpeg
    5C3CE5AE-9A12-4C1C-8FE0-8354455BC10C.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 542
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok this has restored some optimism for sure, looks like the podium will be successful. I prefer the metal over the glass samples.

Wow, the depth it adds to the windows is a great addition. This is going to be a real looker when it's all put together.

I saw it last night around 7:30pm and it did not look good. Maybe in the sunlight it really shines, but I felt it looked very dull and bland, and tacked on. Will reserve judgement until it's either all done, or more of it is done though.

I saw it last night around 7:30pm and it did not look good. Maybe in the sunlight it really shines, but I felt it looked very dull and bland, and tacked on. Will reserve judgement until it's either all done, or more of it is done though.
Yes, I too found it not NEARLY as good as we had been led to believe. I am still not 100% decided as one should await the final completion but it is, so far, under-whelming!

The form is great, but the colour and finish fell short.
I was hoping for a luminous, glossy, glass-like finish, but this looks like a dull old penny (remember those?).

I was surprised to hear this is an automotive-grade paint finish. I've seen some cars with more depth and lustre in the paint finish than this.
The paint should have been a glossy, pearlescent or highly metallic finish in a brighter orange or amber that really catches the light and look more like glass.
Sometimes you see some of those wrapped cars around town in some wild (and often gaudy) finishes. This orange chrome finish would be stunning here:
maxresdefault.jpg

(image courtesy of CKwraps)

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 732
The form is great, but the colour and finish fell short.
I was hoping for a luminous, glossy, glass-like finish, but this looks like a dull old penny (remember those?).

I was surprised to hear this is an automotive-grade paint finish. I've seen some cars with more depth and lustre in the paint finish than this.
The paint should have been a glossy, pearlescent or highly metallic finish in a brighter orange or amber that really catches the light and look more like glass.
Sometimes you see some of those wrapped cars around town in some wild (and often gaudy) finishes. This orange chrome finish would be stunning here:
View attachment 145386
(image courtesy of CKwraps)
To be fair that is a wrap, not a paint.

Yes, so far it's the dull matte look that is disappointing me. I imagine it's easier to maintain vs something glossy?

Yes, so far it's the dull matte look that is disappointing me. I imagine it's easier to maintain vs something glossy?

You would think a glossy finish would better shed water and dirt, but any dents, scratches or imperfections would be more noticeable, so installation would have to be more careful and how the building is maintained must be regarded (i.e. possible damage from window washers and equipment, etc.).

@insertnamehere: There are paints or coatings that could create that same effect. Wraps are easier for aftermarket installation and are removable that's why it's a popular application on cars, but those fin panels could be painted or plated in a chromed finish at the factory.
@holigraphic plastic: we are a very critical and design/construction savvy bunch here. Yes, overall this building is looking great, but the dull copper penny finish is a missed opportunity and would have elevated this building substantially if it had a finish/colour similar to the original design intent.

Back