Brampton Shoppers World Brampton | ?m | 28s | RioCan | BDP Quadrangle

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Via Globe and Mail/Bloomberg:

RioCan also is seeking approval to build on 54 acres in the suburbs. Shoppers World, a site in Brampton located near a large planned transit area, is currently a "broken down, old mall built in the early '70s that we've been trying to figure out what to do with," Mr. Sonshine said.

RioCan is working with the city to develop a master plan, he said, which will include 300,000 square feet of retail – less than half the current amount – and about 1,500 residential units, the majority being rental units. Those would be on top of the 10,000 units originally forecast. These projects would typically cost at least $150-million.

More at Bramptonist, a local source:

http://bramptonist.com/shoppers-world-to-be-redeveloped/

The mall's GLA would be reduced from the current 781,067 sq ft. At its peak, the mall had Simpson's (later the Bay, now demolished with a Bad Boy on the site), Pascal's Hardware (now Fabricland and Staples), K-Mart (later Zellers and Target, now vacant with a fitness centre moving in) and a Food City (now Oceans) and A&P (now medical offices and Winners).

The big-boxing of the mall (adding Canadian Tire, Staples) and cosmetic renovations in 2000-2002 helped buy the mall time, but with Target gone, and plenty of competition from surrounding big-box clusters, there's only so much this huge, under-invested mall can do before calling it quits.

I went to the meeting. There were a few boards to look at, a presentation, followed by table discussions (which I did not stay for).

RioCan is early in the game, with only some ideas of what to do with the 60-acre property. The city itself is looking to intensify the Steeles/Main/Hurontario Area with new commercial and mid and high rise residential.

What we will likely see is high rise and retail/commercial development (along with public space) on the south and east sides, facing Main and Steeles, with an expanded Kaneff Park and new community facilities (such as a library) in the middle/west, with medium density residential on the north side, tapering to the low density residential on the north side of Charolais.

It will be a staged development, in order to preserve some retail functions all the way through.

There will likely be a zoning application in September when more details are decided.

It reminds me of the consultation that took place with Galleria Mall, but for a much larger site. It’s good to see the property owner and the city collaborating on this.

D9405BE8-2FD9-415E-8BB5-DEAFBECBF7A6.jpeg
98B04F55-4BBB-482A-A043-A7CC5411B0F3.jpeg
69D01893-22C4-4FFC-B27B-2830F94E327C.jpeg
6F2D0616-DD26-4613-B7DF-D103EDE6AD44.jpeg

I went to the meeting. There were a few boards to look at, a presentation, followed by table discussions (which I did not stay for).

RioCan is early in the game, with only some ideas of what to do with the 60-acre property. The city itself is looking to intensify the Steeles/Main/Hurontario Area with new commercial and mid and high rise residential.

What we will likely see is high rise and retail/commercial development (along with public space) on the south and east sides, facing Main and Steeles, with an expanded Kaneff Park and new community facilities (such as a library) in the middle/west, with medium density residential on the north side, tapering to the low density residential on the north side of Charolais.

It will be a staged development, in order to preserve some retail functions all the way through.

There will likely be a zoning application in September when more details are decided.

It reminds me of the consultation that took place with Galleria Mall, but for a much larger site. It’s good to see the property owner and the city collaborating on this.

View attachment 189214View attachment 189215View attachment 189216View attachment 189217

@ShonTron was clearly the youngest person at the meeting!

Article on the meeting:

Contains a few pics, which I think are 'inspiration' for the 5 neighbourhoods that is the working concept.

Pics from Inbrampton.
Bmr3ghgDBg7bFTT8Aw77l8Zjv_q3w4zlcV9aXhTLDIPt-6TnJWto-xGB1tal9pu1T1Q3RwB0ZuB55ZoHg3hhbrjh1J8W5vTOc6g40buzg5jgLhN0TktEvokEhRBAZSObdt60Y72w
4WJQDh2k560lilRMQgVyy3Ud4iU9whi_kpPkmxb7ioO_clwY-k4IlcPO6XCrmM_yoAnogWDpRJsMuvlVhPFGriWmo5sIolxy_sjtgaCUX1sWF7CW7azqLoqsTAduYe_N2gGldRnf
pN8TgmzjZM0SKMv52ZLEyQ4ufx0GxidzjbrYrVFHAJnc6BkZXiTPP0LiG5thhU-956kf7ENGi79DG0UBwrke9aVdlBRI133aBa3AlK_35JflV1kdUIkdP91sNdp9ZbvY9L8SGD_8

znXsSwwBZ4uGzIbaKTBq1pxworyJXe-6L40du4ueJMcgCKqg0PY_hRZ19hvmy80f9ykynt_o_7ZewichRQmvHdfc-kbwWeqJf5fpzePJmwJ0oMBoAwtH_sa24-KveovJJyrBjTRx

Qn8i22aqktzzGMUhX9q_13_rB35fMNMTxlCYYhLtd5MGKtDr0sZXdeQlu3X2MpEDouFXvaUzzCWZ2R-43Qvmp1vKXNbru-awtnZqSQLBDeezXKG86LbkOHFSGRv3dDbCOuI15rSb

Last edited by a moderator:
More details!

There's an open house on Tuesday evening. The whole mall would eventually come down, with an enlarged Kaneff Park, with new community uses and a library branch in the centre, along with some office space, with retail facing Steeles and Main Street (with room for large-format retailers), with most parking underground. While 155 townhouses are planned for the north side (towards existing low-density subdivisions), the majority of new residential units will be in 4725 units in residential towers, up to 28 storeys high.

It calls for a grid road system: two new north-south streets, two east-west public streets, plus several private lanes.Multi-use paths are planned as well.

Transit access is good: the Hurontario LRT, the 502 and 511 Zum buses, and reconsideration of the LRT to Downtown Brampton and the GO Train with a more progressive council. Here are some of the plans and renderings. I can't believe that this could be Brampton.

Red = retail, yellow = residential, light blue = community uses, purple = offices.

SWB - Site Plan.png

Looking south:
SWB Rendering 1.jpg

Looking north from Steeles
SWB Rendering 2.jpg

Last edited:
The redevelopment is going through the approval process. Staff are recommending approval of the necessary zoning changes to allow for the complete redevelopment. Expansion of the existing Kaneff Park (a somewhat neglected park between two sets of highrise towers) is planned, with discussions well underway with city, library, and Peel DSB staff on a community hub.

Lots of information in section 7.4 of the November 16 Planning and Development Committee agenda:

It's kind of sad what is happening to the older malls in Ontario i understand why it's happening but it's still sad to see.

Back