Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

It's not just the workers at chorus throwing their butts into the park. It's the sunbathers on the beach, I think they think sand= ashtray. It's the patrons of Against the Grain, who I've watched actually throw their butts into the tree wells while standing literally 6inches from a butt disposal receptacle. I don't think these smokers know what these devices are. It's unreal, they really believe the world is their own personal ashtray.

I talked about this in another thread but the idea that I had seems to fit Sugar beach perfectly: The problem with Toronto's waterfront is that it's such a tease! Here we have all this water in front of us and we're not even allowed to dip our toes in. A beach without access to the water is the biggest complaint of anybody who hears about this "urban beach" concept. What if the yet unbuilt wavedeck for Jarvis Quay were to dip into the water? Gross you say? This is an industrial slip with large ships docked in this water right?

What if as part of the wavedeck project they were to separate the lake with a raised wall by a foot or two creating an infinity pool and giving you the illusion that you're swimming in the lake? That water would be filtered and would flow into the lake over the wall. The wavedeck would allow Sugar Beach goers to dip their feet in or go all the way in for a swim.

Last edited:
^^ Great idea! We need more water features near the central waterfront. We have swimming pools on the waterfront in the east and west but none in the downtown, central waterfront. We need something to cool off on hot days. That's why I wanted a fountain in either Canada Square or Ontario Square (@ Harbourfront) but neither will have one. Sometimes you have to wonder what is wrong with the designers. They don't think of the most obvious things that most other people do.

Last edited:
What if the yet unbuilt wavedeck for Jarvis Quay were to dip into the water? Gross you say? This is an industrial slip with large ships docked in this water right?

What if as part of the wavedeck project they were to separate the lake with a raised wall by a foot or two creating an infinity pool and giving you the illusion that you're swimming in the lake? That water would be filtered and would flow into the lake over the wall. The wavedeck would allow Sugar Beach goers to dip their feet in or go all the way in for a swim.

A great idea but, I fear, it will not happen. The Jarvis slip is still used on a regular basis by the sugar-ships coming to Redpath and nothing will be allowed to stick out past the dock walls.

Like Dundas Square?

That was a sponsored event (obviously) but they do have a walk-up bar and food the rest of the time. But you're right, who wants to have a drink and dance - in public even?! That's just crazy and will lead to no good!!

Who wants to have our public spaces turned into a for-profit corporate tool?

Dundas square is a disaster of epic proportions.

The last few times I've been to Sherbourne Common, the fountains/water filtration facilities weren't running. Have they been shut down?

Sorry, it's my first time trying to post pictures in a reply and I'm most likely doing this wrong but anyway, I was surprised to see the work they've been doing at the base of Sugar Beach opposite the Guvernment! Anyone know what exactly this will look like? Looks like they're extending the interlocking stone pathway along the street. Wonder if it will be possible to put any trees here.

Thanks for the pics! Yes, Waterfront Toronto is extending the granite pavers (maple leaf pattern) along the dock wall that they recently fixed up. I imagine trees would be planted, too ;) So it will look like more of the same...which is a very good thing.

For a more detailed explanation from WT:

"Work continues on schedule on the reinforcement of the Jarvis dockwall. Crews are replacing all of the dockwall’s tie-rods which are solid steel rods that connect the dockwall to an anchoring system for reinforcement. The tie-rods had to be completely replaced due to their age and advanced level of deterioration. Plans are also underway to make landscape improvements in the area. When construction is complete below grade, Waterfront Toronto will install a 7.4 metre wide stretch of red and white granite pavers along the north side of the slip. The granite, a key design feature of the future Queens Quay promenade in East Bayfront, will provide a seamless connection to the entrance of Canada’s Sugar Beach located on the east side of the Jarvis Slip."

Last edited:
I was in Sherbourne Common the other say and it is sad to see that there are so many dead (or dying) trees - in particular in the northern part. When WT ran the park they were always very fast to replace dead trees, the City has now taken it over and is, I fear, not so active. As an award-winning park that attracts visitors it's too bad to see it deteriorating. It's also a pity that the "water feature" is till not working after its winter shut-down.

Y do so many trees die in toronto. I don't get it. Y don't they plant them properly to begin with???

I was in Sherbourne Common the other say and it is sad to see that there are so many dead (or dying) trees - in particular in the northern part. When WT ran the park they were always very fast to replace dead trees, the City has now taken it over and is, I fear, not so active. As an award-winning park that attracts visitors it's too bad to see it deteriorating. It's also a pity that the "water feature" is till not working after its winter shut-down.

That's really too bad. Also very troubling because I think they used Silva cells there. If all WT is getting for the big pit and big money is more dead trees, then what's the point in doing more of it. Any more details - numbers? photos?

Back