Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

One of my favourite spots in the city. Just spent this morning there catching some rays and enjoying being outside by the water.

This could really use bar and food service like the one in Montreal. The surroundings are such a grim wasteland of nothingness.

[video=vimeo;44577339]http://vimeo.com/44577339[/video]

That looks terrible, in my opinion. We should aspire to much more than a culture of self-absorbed consumerism.

Like Dundas Square?

That was a sponsored event (obviously) but they do have a walk-up bar and food the rest of the time. But you're right, who wants to have a drink and dance - in public even?! That's just crazy and will lead to no good!!

This could really use bar and food service like the one in Montreal. The surroundings are such a grim wasteland of nothingness.

That's why they're regenerating the area by building park space.

Last edited:
I don't think every public space needs to have its own food service/ food provider/ cafe directly on it. I like the way Sugar Beach is now. There is a cafe and several places to buy food nearby, and there will be MANY more within the next few years.

You're neglecting the fact that you have to actually pay to use and enter Montreal's version of Sugar Beach. It is not public at all.

Now if we can only get smokers from Corus to stop flicking their butts into the park, I'd be very happy. It's arrogant to think that that our parks staff has the time and resources to clean this up daily. It's not just here obviously, but I do spend enough time at Sugar Beach to be disgusted with how a few people treat public spaces as their own living room (or bathroom).

If I ever run for Mayor, I will go on one campaign item: What is in your mouth needs to be disposed of properly. So gum!!, cigarettes!!!, spit!!, etc...can't end up on our streets, sidewalks, parks,...anywhere outside really. It would be called the basic human decorum by-law. A pipe-dream, I know . But one can only hope :p

Ick.

I think Sugar Beach works well as it allows for events to come in and out of the surrounding area (the boardwalk is purposely empty to allow for markets and festivals to pop up). The fact that no permanent bar or restaurant is right on the beach makes it a lot easier to pack some wine, bread and cheese. I'm sure it would be a lot more difficult to pack a picnic with food vendors there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back