Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

nfitz:

Yes, like 10 year olds don't jaywalk. Personally I would be more concerned about them doing stupid skateboard tricks when crossing the street.

Good luck with closing any street under the current administration -personally I'd rather not wait until every single little detail is ironed out before opening the park - if you want to see THAT model at work, just check out the east entrance to Kipling station. That happening to WT would play right into the hand of Fraud et al.

AoD

I'm with Alvin on this one. The average 10 year old who grows up in the inner city has enough street smarts not to dart off into traffic. We tend to forget that kids generally exhibit good judgement at a pretty early age when it comes to self-preservation (i.e. not putting themselves in danger) - they may just not be so considerate toward others.

With the way winter has been so far, probably not much different than it looked in the fall :)

I'm with Alvin on this one. The average 10 year old who grows up in the inner city has enough street smarts not to dart off into traffic. We tend to forget that kids generally exhibit good judgement at a pretty early age when it comes to self-preservation (i.e. not putting themselves in danger) - they may just not be so considerate toward others.

I'm with AoD, too. It's not like QQ right there comes as a surprise (e.g. darting between two cars chasing a ball) as there's nothing blocking a 10-year old's vision of the road. My 12-year old can cross there safely. A 4-year-old won't be anywhere near QQ without a parent.

Does anyone know if the lights are working on the umbrellas at night or were they ever operational? Also, what is the status of the wooden boardwalk along the promenade?

IMG3130-L.jpg

IMG3133-L.jpg

IMG3118-L.jpg

IMG3117-L.jpg

IMG3095-L.jpg

IMG3093-L.jpg

if you go back a few pages or check my imgur account listed below you can see the lights were in face operational this past summer

The lights were definitely functional, however they were too faint to make much of a difference. It's too bad that one appears to be either broken or vandalized so soon.

Yes the lights were working last summer but I thought they weren't bright enough. You could only see them if you went under the umbrella.

Are there any projects into sales or otherwise imminent here aside from Monde - aside from those south of Lakeshore.

Thanks. Reason I was asking is that Monde's sales would benefit from another development close by. As it is they risk being sort of orphaned or surrounded by contruction well after completion. I would love to see 1-2 more developments launched at the same time here.

Thanks. Reason I was asking is that Monde's sales would benefit from another development close by. As it is they risk being sort of orphaned or surrounded by contruction well after completion. I would love to see 1-2 more developments launched at the same time here.

The huge Hines development is just across Queen's Quay and the almost finished George Brown building just opposite Monde so I do not think it will be marooned or orphaned. As is being discussed in the Port Lands discussions there is clearly a limit to the amount of new building that can be absorbed at one time but QQ is clearly a prime area for development. I suspect that the next block on the north side of Queen's Quay to be developed willl be the huge LCBO site just east of Yonge that the government is selling but it will not be too long before more development moves east of Lower Jarvis on Queen's Quay. Getting the proposed (and approved but not funded) QQE LRT built would certainy speed things up.

I looked up the renderings of the portlands from when the mayor was interested and i have to say, i liked what i saw. I would make a few changes for the don though, give it a more natural look. I hoped that the city and Waterfront Toronto would make a hybrid version but oh well. Loved the cherry tree lined street the best :)

Canada’s Sugar Beach has been selected as a finalist in the Landscape Architecture category of Azure Magazine’s 2012 AZ Awards. The whimsical urban park, opened to the public in the summer of 2010, is one of 60 finalists out of over 620 entries from 30 countries around the world.

AZ Awards are issued to designers and architects that have demonstrated exceptional creativity in achieving best concept and product designs.

From Wednesday, April 11, members of the public will be able to vote for their favourites designs. Deadline to cast your vote is Friday, May 4, by midnight EST. The People’s Choice award winner will be announced during the AZ AWARDS gala presentation, which will take place in Toronto on June 7.

Canada’s Sugar Beach was built as part of Toronto’s waterfront revitalization. Located at the foot of lower Jarvis Street, south of Queens Quay, Canada’s Sugar Beach transformed a former industrial area into a fun, dynamic space.

Designed by Claude Cormier + Associés, the park’s features include a number of Muskoka chairs, signature pink umbrellas, soft sand and an interactive water feature embedded in a granite maple leaf, which makes cooling off fun for adults and children.

See: http://feeds.feedburner.com/WaterfrontTorontoNewsroom to vote!

Back