Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

Checked out Sugar Beach yesterday, the whole project seems amazing! I'm very glad this was built, and at high quality too.. However..

THE BIG HOWEVER HERE REMAINS THE LIGHT POLES!

What in God's name were they thinking?! They're typical street poles that stretch right through the park, and to make things worse, they continue along the waterfront promenade being built south of Corus, George Brown and Sherbourne Common.

I would appreciate someone from WaterfronToronto to explain what this is about because this is an absolute embarrassment as things stand right now.

I haven't been down that area in years.....Can they really be that bad? Does anyone have any current pictures of the area with the light poles and can post them up? Many thanks in advance.

SugarBeachAllee.jpg

They are not bad in a hideous sort of way. The problem that many have with them is that these are streetlights. This design is for roads, not pedestrian walkways and promenades. Waterfront Toronto did a really good job constructing Sugar Beach, except for these basic, utilitarian light poles.

AoD, thanks for posting that! There's some nice, exciting photo updates in it. I'm also very happy to hear that the lighting in place is temporary.

It's good to hear that the lights are temporary. I went to Sugar Beach yesterday and beyond the lights, it was very impressive. The attention to detail was amazing and people were already relaxing on the beach.

It was especially nice to walk across from Guvernment after a long night of dancing and to sit and watch the sunrise from the beach with my boyfriend :D

I appreciate that the city decided it would need more paved space to dump snow during 6 months of the year.
I really wish they had designed the pathway system and streetscape to incorporate vendors and services. More to come I guess....

looks amazing. thanks for the picture updates. I can imagine this place will be packed during the next heat wave once the beach is in full operation.

Back