Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

bowen

Member Bio
Reaction score
I spent some time at East Bayfront as part of a Jane's Walk. Something I noticed is that many of the public places, like Sherbourne Common and Aitken Place Park, were designed with the right intentions but don't attract many people as they aren't conducive to urban life and are pretty ugly. Sugar Beach, on the other hand, is full of people listening to music, enjoying the water and downtown views, chilling with friends, and taking pictures. It's a beautiful and vibrant place that we need more of to create a spectacular waterfront. The thought of Parliament Slip makes me optimistic that we'll have more magical places that people will actually want to go to.

View attachment 399464llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllView attachment 399465

View attachment 399463

Just look at those weeping willow trees! They're beautiful!
ICYMI: the Waterfront BIA is asking these same questions and has commissioned a study to explore how to enliven the promenade and Sherbourne Common North:

evandyk

Member Bio
Reaction score
To be fair, it is only pretty recently that some businesses actually started opening in the buildings east of Sherbourne. And a big chunk of one is a dentist office, which is never going to make for a lively pedestrian experience.

I've been meaning to try the veggie burgers there, but haven't gotten around to it. Now that the weather is nicer, I will probably walk down there for lunch sometime. I got a really nice vindaloo last week from Nakhraa, which is in the Daniels yard.

Star Fox

Member Bio
Reaction score
Taken just now. Apparently Sugar Beach has returned to its original form: a parking lot.

IMG_0588.jpg

evandyk

Member Bio
Reaction score
We go there pretty regularly because the toddler loves playing in the sand, and I love sitting in the shade in those chairs, and I wouldn't say that cars intruding is a particularly salient issue. I've seen it a handful of times.

The silly roads with parking on the eastern side of that promenade is a different story, though. There are cars everywhere, and it ruins the whole atmosphere.