Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

That's exactly where I'm at; I simultaneously find the building to be a refreshing departure from much of what's gone up in the condo boom, and I especially appreciate the careful treatment of the heritage component, but I find the details to be lacking, and it makes the building solid but certainly unspectacular, to me.

My main trifle isn't with the massing (I actually quite like the notch, regardless of intent, and I appreciate that it isn't the city's now-standard blocky podium-and-point typology that I actually rather dislike), it's with the detail and the materiality. The spandrel panels are badly placed and distracting, and I think they chose the wrong colour if they were going to use them at all, and I also find the black material at the base of the podium to be incongruous with the rest of the materials.

All in all: a quite welcome addition, close to being quite good, but ultimately failing to break through for some of the finer details.

I agree about the blue spandrel panels but they do not make a substantial impact on the tower or the end product, at least to me. The black material at the base however looks great and is intended to relate to the slate roof tiles on the heritage building. I think it ties the tower with the house nicely, as is evident in @Benito 's photo above (reposted here for convenience)
1541779388840.png

There will be an O&B restaurant opening doing French food in the podium - called Maison Selby

Heard graffiti artists are desperate to be first at claiming the multi-storey all brick notch. Apparently they will use drones equipped with laser-guided "paint gun" technology. Also heard that Jasonzed is not involved in the plan in any way ;-)

Back