Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

UT story coming soon on this project?

Pretty sure I saw a bunch of guys in suits being interviewed by Craig around 5 today as I drove by the site! Hope to hear whether the samples seen on site are the final cladding choice or if they plan on going with something more red.

who is "craig"

Craig Sheffer? He's an actor (Some Kind of Wonderful, A River Runs Through It, Fire in the Sky, etc.).

Lt. Frank Drebin: Hector Savage. From Detroit. Ex-boxer. His real name was Joey Chicago.
Ed Hocken: Oh, yeah. He fought under the name of Kid Minneapolis.
Nordberg: I saw Kid Minneapolis fight once. In Cincinnati.
Lt. Frank Drebin: No you're thinking of Kid New York. He fought out of Philly.
Ed Hocken: He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, the Arizona Assassin.
Nordberg: Yeah, from Dakota. I don't remember it was North or South.
Lt. Frank Drebin: North. South Dakota was his brother. From West Virginia.
Ed Hocken: You sure know your boxing.
Lt. Frank Drebin: All I know is never bet on the white guy.
[Nordberg nods in agreement]

Ha, such an amazing scene.

My friends and I always wonder if we appreciate Naked Gun just because we loved it when we were kids and it’s partly nostalgia, but I’m leaning towards the opinion that they’re just hilarious movies in a style of comedy that I don’t usually look for.

that kind of humour tends to be fairly popular, and you don't see it anymore. There is a reason Monty Python, Naked Gun, Police Academy, Spaceballs, etc. are all relatively well referenced and popular today. They are purely silly movies.

Now back on topic, I presume this will move right into construction after demolition?

Lt. Frank Drebin: Hector Savage. From Detroit. Ex-boxer. His real name was Joey Chicago.
Ed Hocken: Oh, yeah. He fought under the name of Kid Minneapolis.
Nordberg: I saw Kid Minneapolis fight once. In Cincinnati.
Lt. Frank Drebin: No you're thinking of Kid New York. He fought out of Philly.
Ed Hocken: He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, the Arizona Assassin.
Nordberg: Yeah, from Dakota. I don't remember it was North or South.
Lt. Frank Drebin: North. South Dakota was his brother. From West Virginia.
Ed Hocken: You sure know your boxing.
Lt. Frank Drebin: All I know is never bet on the white guy.
[Nordberg nods in agreement]
Such amazing writing. Those are the funniest movies ever made.

Ha, such an amazing scene.

My friends and I always wonder if we appreciate Naked Gun just because we loved it when we were kids and it’s partly nostalgia, but I’m leaning towards the opinion that they’re just hilarious movies in a style of comedy that I don’t usually look for.
Slapstick is unfortunately extinct. Other great movies that you might enjoy, if you like the Naked Gun films, are: Hot Shots, Loaded Weapon 1, Wrongfully Accused, Used Cars, Clifford, Coneheads. And the old tv show, Police Squad (which the Naked Guns are based on) is hilarious. Also, basically anything Chevy Chase, from the 80s (Caddyshack, Fletch, Vacation, etc)

Yeah, it’s weird how this kind of humour seems to be extinct. I don’t even know what contemporary popular humour is, though.

Thank you for the suggestions; I’ve seen some, but not all.

Okay, back on topic.

It's extinct because it requires intelligence and high attention to detail to understand; and that isn't congruent with the concerted effort to dumb people down.

August 31

Back