Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

It'd probably more realistic to expect precast - but using real brick with enough variation in tint would have put this project over the top.

As long as its this kind of precast:
5938700845_bc4ba6a7c8_b.jpg
It'll be just as good.

A good, solid design. If you're going to be rectilinear, might as well be unapologetic and bold about it.

It's quite interesting really - it could hardly look more out of place or more apt. Having it set between the moved Selby house and the little leafy row of Victorians behind it should seem all wrong - but it seems to vigorously embrace the crazy juxtapositions we're doing in Toronto now and come out all right. We shall see! It sure is a heck of a lot better than seeing another facadectomy.

I'm really glad they're preserving the house. That's wonderful.

Between this, the Howard Street Lanterra proposal and the Cooper Mansion, Bloor and Sherbourne will be unrecognizable from what it was only five years ago. And this design is much better than this neighbourhood had any right to expect.

It looks amazing....but doesnt that overhang look like it might cause some issues of falling ice? if icicles form on that overhang and fall..... not good

592 SHERBOURNE ST
OPA / Rezoning 12 193918 STE 27 OZ Ward 27
- Tor & E.York Jun 15, 2012 --- --- --- ---
Rezoning application for construction of new residential building - 5 townhouse unts in podium - 4 level podium and 52 storey - 499 residential units (inculdes 5 townhouse units at grade) - 6 levels below grade parking 229 spaces. - 500 bicycle parking spaces.

It looks amazing....but doesnt that overhang look like it might cause some issues of falling ice? if icicles form on that overhang and fall..... not good

With wind at those heights ice would never allow for the formation of icicles. Lots of buildings have enough overhangs and areas at that height and have no icicle issues, so why would this building?

I was just asking a question. No need to get hostile. The CN tower has had some falling ice issues recently, plus i had no previous knowledge of icicles not being able to form at those heights....we arent all architectural students man...

My bad, I didn't mean to sound like an ass.

I believe the problems at the CN Tower were more related to the ice building up along a flat surface and then sliding down.

I'm not so into the orange WITH the red, but I like the red, and the podium townhomes look smart. It's also a nice continuation of the "behind-an-old-mansion" theme of James Cooper next door.

This, along with James Cooper Mansion could form an interesting and beneficial precedent for development along Jarvis- moving the the historical component closer to the street and building higher behind.

Back