Toronto SCOOP | 22.86m | 6s | Graywood | CMV

In my view there is no magic bullet to impose aesthetic grace on a development process.

True but we do have this place today to a certain extent.

What is the DRP, and what does it do?

The Design Review Panel is an independent advisory group of design professionals whose task is to provide advice to City staff regarding both public and private developments. The DRP is integrated as part of the City's planning review process, commenting on major development applications and planning initiatives as they move through the various stages of planning approvals. They typically meet every three to four weeks, up to 15 times a year, to provide feedback on a wide range of proposals throughout the City of Toronto. The Panel is comprised of professionals within the private sector who volunteer their time to participate; they have no affiliation with the City, and are regarded as an objective third party for City staff to consult.

The DRP is useful, yes, and I'm glad it's there to review the most important developments. But it's not a cure-all and it's certainly not a magic bullet that guarantees only the best results for Toronto. It's also a body which is not without controversy. There are people on this board who'd doubtless prefer it be vaporized.

The developers play to the customers. Build something orange, red or yellow and you probably lose half your potential customer base. Look at cars for an example. Most cars on the road are white, black, silver, grey and so forth. People are conservative.

Great ... someone already graffiti all over the store front of the building... It is like people cannot have nice things... :(
81899701_2914536111931296_2687480733550772224_n.jpg
e front glass of the building... It is like people cannot have nice things... :(

True but we do have this place today to a certain extent.

What is the DRP, and what does it do?

The Design Review Panel is an independent advisory group of design professionals whose task is to provide advice to City staff regarding both public and private developments. The DRP is integrated as part of the City's planning review process, commenting on major development applications and planning initiatives as they move through the various stages of planning approvals. They typically meet every three to four weeks, up to 15 times a year, to provide feedback on a wide range of proposals throughout the City of Toronto. The Panel is comprised of professionals within the private sector who volunteer their time to participate; they have no affiliation with the City, and are regarded as an objective third party for City staff to consult.

For anyone who wants to know more about the DRP, we ran this front page article in December explaining how they work.

Great ... someone already graffiti all over the store front of the building... It is like people cannot have nice things... :(
That is horrible, why do this to property that is helping the community look better. You would think that there is security of some sort on site during off hours to prevent this sort of thing from happening, they have to protect the building from vandalism like this as it looks very poorly for the developer and management team.

Last edited by a moderator:
The developers play to the customers. Build something orange, red or yellow and you probably lose half your potential customer base. Look at cars for an example. Most cars on the road are white, black, silver, grey and so forth. People are conservative.

I disagree. The suburbs are filled with colourful brick houses. A red brick Victorian Bay and Gable will run you at least a million dollars anywhere in the city. Lastly, people pay a lot of money to visit cities with colourful buildings like Venice or Prague.

But it's not as if the residential bricks in this town include wild, vibrant hues of violet, pink, orange or blue... man, it's just variations of reddish brown and some blonde.

Last edited:

ugh I agree!... I hope they clean it up and it doesn't happen again. it's very unfortunate to see people vandalizing something that is lifting the area up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Project is now on hold due to pending final City inspection which is unable to proceed due to City workers being assigned to emergency issues related to the COVID-19 Pandemic.

Edit: Project not on hold, just occupancy is on hold due to delayed city inspection. Workers continue to work on site and progress is ongoing.

Last edited:
A bit clinical, and vaguely reminds me of postwar European flats.

I wonder what the circular holes on the other sides of the balconies are for- illumination/vents?

Back