Toronto SCOOP | 22.86m | 6s | Graywood | CMV

20190911_152311.jpg
20190911_152331.jpg
20190911_152436.jpg
20190911_152653.jpg
20190911_152800.jpg

Next door at 1745 St Clair Ave West:

'Site Plan Approval application to facilitate the development of an 11-storey mixed use building comprised of 389 square metres of non-residential gross floor area and 65 residential dwelling units (5475 square metres of residential gross floor area). '

See below:

Next door at 1745 St Clair Ave West:

'Site Plan Approval application to facilitate the development of an 11-storey mixed use building comprised of 389 square metres of non-residential gross floor area and 65 residential dwelling units (5475 square metres of residential gross floor area). '

See below:

Our thread for that is here.

as per urban toronto, the sales office for 'scout condos' will temporarily be housed within this building soon. see link below:

Lots of us here clamour for colour but I believe that developers tend to aim straight down the middle, erring on the side of comfortable sameness and inoffensive colour schemes. Colour is risky and not without controversy. You'd think this city, as grey as it is in the winter especially, would welcome some bright spots of colour and daring colour combinations. But apparently not!

The architecture is up for debate, but on a positive note the second phase will be using warmer red brick tones on its cladding.

Lots of us here clamour for colour but I believe that developers tend to aim straight down the middle, erring on the side of comfortable sameness and inoffensive colour schemes. Colour is risky and not without controversy. You'd think this city, as grey as it is in the winter especially, would welcome some bright spots of colour and daring colour combinations. But apparently not!

Developers are in the business of making money and the city is not interested in forcing developers to think outside the box unfortunately. However, I don't quite agree with your assessment as you are only looking at the colour not the actual texture and overall design of the building in terms of integration. If you look at this particular design it is actually quite refreshing texture compared to the standard glass box and concrete which provides no feel along as a skyline. I think, this design actually blends quite nicely to the area much better than a random floor to ceiling glass facades and the terrace design in the rear of the buildings actually creates a connection with the surrounding area. However, I do agree that we certainly need way more flair and risk in terms of design/colour all throughout the city it really depends on what part of the city this it is but I think these two phases, SCOOP and SCOUT, actually provide refreshing design that makes sense in this particular area.

Developers are in the business of making money and the city is not interested in forcing developers to think outside the box unfortunately.

Again, I don't know how the city can force developers to do just that - I'm not even sure I think it would be a wise course of action to begin with. I'd love to see a watchdog committee try that, however. They'd probably bog down in bureaucratic squabbling almost immediately.

I just don't know how you can mandate good taste or a flair for innovation. I'm not saying it can't be done, mind you. I just don't see it being at all easy or straightforward. It's not something you can effectively conjure up by way of bylaws or a city committee, however well qualified or zealous - although that kind of inspiration can certainly be informally encouraged.

In my view there is no magic bullet to impose aesthetic grace on a development process.

Back