Toronto SCOOP | 22.86m | 6s | Graywood | CMV

Froggy

Member Bio
Reaction score
New 6-storey residential development with retail at grade coming to the Saint Clair Avenue West and Old Weston Road area. This property is also listed here with the two other neighbouring properties to the west as development lands (all the way to Ford Street).
Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 10.35.41 AM.png

Here's the site right now:
Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 10.44.09 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 10.35.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 10.35.41 AM.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 4,187
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 10.44.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 10.44.09 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,361
The-Scoop-Hero.jpg

Scoop Condos, by Graywood Developments. Extrior design is SMV Architects, interior is TACT Design.
6 storeys, retail at grade, 72 units ranging from 550 to 1,200 sq. ft in size. Sales to start in the Spring of 2016.
More info here.

Attachments

• The-Scoop-Hero.jpg
    The-Scoop-Hero.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 4,935
Yes, this is a few blocks east of Old Weston Road.
Also, since the building is just six stories in height, I wonder if the structure could be made out of wood instead of concrete?

It's more than just one condo building coming to the area. Check out this excerpt from the article:

We snapped Adi at 1771 St Clair W, where in a few weeks his firm [...] launches SCOOP, a 72-unit condo that’s the first phase of a 300k SF development spanning several blocks along a stretch they've dubbed West St Clair West. The mid-rise community will ultimately include 300-plus residential units and 20k SF of ground-floor retail on a streetcar line—precisely the sort of development the city wants to see in spots like these, notes Adi. “This will be a model for how avenues along transit lines can be developed.

The entire site will be developed in phases. The 3x parcels are shown in the image.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    990.3 KB · Views: 2,359
Last edited by a moderator:
St. Clair and Old Weston Road is a depressed and ugly intersection, in spite of the public realm overhaul that the city initiated with the streetcar ROW project. If you rotate the camera by 360 degrees in this street view shot, you can see how much land there is to develop right on the main street. It has been that way for decades.

This project could bring much needed revitalization. But it has to be quality development. Bad buildings could have the opposite effect of revitalization over time, creating a dense slum.

One should give credit to the city for making the street more aesthetically attractive with the ROW project. It makes it more attractive to developers. However, they should widen the underpass between Old Weston Road and Keele Street. It's a traffic bottleneck and quite ugly.

There is an initiative out to widen the underpass and bridge near Keele. I think/ hope Graywood will build quality buildings as the area will have to deal with what gets built for generations.

There is an initiative out to widen the underpass and bridge near Keele. I think/ hope Graywood will build quality buildings as the area will have to deal with what gets built for generations.

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly doesn't the rail bridge need to be rebuilt for that? I'm not sure I see it happening.

Back