Toronto Saturday in Downsview Park | 39.93m | 11s | Mattamy Homes | Graziani + Corazza

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
35 CARL HALL RD
Ward 09 - North York District

►View All Properties

11 storey residential building with a four storey podium and 2 levels of below grade parking on Block 'A' of the Stanley Greene Subdivision.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys 11 # of Units 458
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 16 181970 NNY 09 SA Jun 28, 2016 Under Review

Downsview Park Condos

The site plans show that this proposal will be in two phases. Phase 1 consists of an 11-storey condo and 4-storey rental apartment. Phase 2 consists of an 8-storey condo.

upload_2016-8-17_9-50-27.png

Building A:
upload_2016-8-17_9-56-18.png

Building B:
upload_2016-8-17_9-58-12.png

Building C:
upload_2016-8-17_9-59-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-17_9-50-27.png
    upload_2016-8-17_9-50-27.png
    277.6 KB · Views: 3,575
  • upload_2016-8-17_9-56-18.png
    upload_2016-8-17_9-56-18.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 3,204
  • upload_2016-8-17_9-58-12.png
    upload_2016-8-17_9-58-12.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 3,228
  • upload_2016-8-17_9-59-27.png
    upload_2016-8-17_9-59-27.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 3,122
Crap. Well it looks like one of the largest developers in Southern Ontario has chosen to permanently align themselves with one of the worst 'architectural firms' in the city. Truly unfortunate.

Crap. Well it looks like one of the largest developers in Southern Ontario has chosen to permanently align themselves with one of the worst 'architectural firms' in the city. Truly unfortunate.

What do you expect? They've been churning out the worst dreck in suburban areas for years. They wouldn't know sophisticated design if it smacked them in the face.

If even Tridel is incapable of good design, I don't see how one could expect a higher standard from a relentlessly and hopelessly mediocre firm like Mattamy.

Wow, from where I am I could practically hit that site with a rock. I'm working at 40 Carl Hall Road. That will certainly change the feel of the area... for better or worse remains to be seen. Downsview feels like a barren patchwork of a place. Part of the problem is its sheer sprawling size.

Looking at the site plan - I strongly dislike the habit in suburban areas of leaving a corner open space. It never gets used much by anyone and it basically wastes what should be the most engaging part of a site.

AoD

^most of the time it is because of required sight triangles. This space looks a bit bigger than the required sight triangle, though.

Sight triangles can be massive, often 15x15m. They are usually mandated by regional transportation staff too, which tend not to want to negotiate more pedestrian friendly spaces like city staff may be willing to.

Wow, from where I am I could practically hit that site with a rock. I'm working at 40 Carl Hall Road. That will certainly change the feel of the area... for better or worse remains to be seen. Downsview feels like a barren patchwork of a place. Part of the problem is its sheer sprawling size.
Yeah, these buildings and the townhouse development already under construction are going to bring in a whole influx of people. I'm not sure whether it'll breathe new life into the park though.

What park? It's a patch of unfinished and open field. Downsview Park is stuck. It's unfinished and too open. Not much of a true urban park at Downsview. Over 10 years and nothing to show for it. We could have had a Central Park or a Millenium park built there. It's too spread out and empty. Even with the subway there is little demand for dense development here. The land is cheaper but it's stigmatized and doesn't attract good developers to build something stunning to bring the community up.

And it sounded so promising when the " Park " was first announced. As an aside, maybe the Feds can actually deliver something with the nascent Rouge (Urban) National Park. Just leave the " Urban " out of the name, please.

I'm confused about the address and comparing it to the site plan. The site plan shows it fronting onto Keele Street but 35 Carl Hall Road doesn't front onto Keele. Is Downsview Park Boulevard the street being constructed at the south end of Downsview Park across Keele from Whitburn Crescent?

I too have no idea where this is being developed. The map and address do not match - and there is no Downsview Park Blvd. yet.

Southeast corner of whitburn crescent and Keele. Downsview park Boulevard will be the entrance into all the townhouses getting built at the far southern part of downsview park right now.

I too have no idea where this is being developed. The map and address do not match - and there is no Downsview Park Blvd. yet.

The architectural plans provide a better context:

upload_2016-8-18_11-51-51.png

It's basically the SW corner of the park. They kept whittling away at the space - at this rate, perhaps they should rename it Petit Parc Downsview Parkette - Canada's First National Urban Parkette

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-18_11-51-51.png
    upload_2016-8-18_11-51-51.png
    432.1 KB · Views: 2,076
I'm confused about the address and comparing it to the site plan. The site plan shows it fronting onto Keele Street but 35 Carl Hall Road doesn't front onto Keele. Is Downsview Park Boulevard the street being constructed at the south end of Downsview Park across Keele from Whitburn Crescent?

That would be my guess: that is probably the Circuit Path on the northeast side of the site plan shown above. There's a Mattamy sales office already on the site. 35 Carl Hall Road is likely the official address for the Downsivew Park lands.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7366296,-79.4840309,182m/data=!3m1!1e3

Back