Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

And I didn't take a photo of the sign Loblaws had by the entry doors. It said that the underground parking only has 54 spots. Were we only expecting this few?

I too spent a lot of time in there this afternoon! :) It's a really large store by downtown standards. Here are some pics that I snapped:

6433289555_7e34191d71_b.jpg

I like how they put the day first (13 FEB 1999). I hate it with the month first and that ugly comma after the number.

I checked it out and bought some chicken.

It's a Loblaws. Meh. Mind you, aesthetically it is nice. High ceilings, and those blue stadium chairs by the escalators. And, I like the eating areas. But, I will never sit and eat there as I don't see why or when I would.
Joe Fresh: It's Joe Fresh. Nice clothes, but small selection (for men).
LCBO: Fail. Small, ugly and doesn't offer anything any random LCBO you see about. The St Clair one and the one at Manulife are still my favourites.

Overall: at least it's being utilised and providing some sort of service.

Now, about that Bulk Barn at Yonge. Nothing will convince me that is a good idea. It isn't an 'urban concept' Bulk Barn — it's the regular tacky yellow suburban Bulk Barn they usually put in low-end neighbourhoods. Oh! What a downtown experience: Bulk Barn.

I was impressed by the design of the store and the prepared food areas, but the store in general seems to have the same products as any other Loblaws. Three things that I look for in most grocery stores could not be found at the new Loblaws:

1) Fresh Duck
2) San Marzano Tomatoes
3) Imported British Tea

Longos Maple Leaf Square is still my favourite supermarket downtown since they carry the above items, and have more variety in general.

WTH is Hume talking about :confused:

In the video he says "until recently people were fleeing the city and stores were closing". When did this occur? I don't think there has ever been a time in our recent history when the downtown lost residents in fact in the last 30 years the population downtown has probably doubled.

He then goes on to say that the one thing local condo residents "didn't have was a place to by food" Huh:confused: Just a five minute walk west of here is a Metro and Sobey's at College Park, and another Sobey's further North on Yonge. Another five minute walk south of here is a Metro in the old Sears warehouse and of course five minutes North on Church you will find premium meats at Cumbraes, Cheese at "about Cheese, and other quality food vendors. Does Hume even think when he opens his mouth :confused:

I was thinking about the same thing when hearing him say "people do not have a place to buy grocery". I like him but he is definitely talking out of his butt today :)

I was thinking about the same thing when hearing him say "people do not have a place to buy grocery". I like him but he is definitely talking out of his butt today :)
There are other places, but the Metro in College Park is grocery hell. Try shopping there after work on a weekday. My blood pressure goes up just thinking about it. The new Sobeys is much better of course. But the new Loblaws has all sorts of special features that make it unique. Most importantly, when I went there this evening, it marked the first time in my entire history of grocery shopping downtown when I didn't have to turn sideways every twenty seconds to pass somebody in the aisle. That alone is reason enough to be thankful!

Some of these comments remind me of what Ed the Sock always says..."If you don't have anything good to say, say it often"

Watch a bunch of miserable people.

Where's the fresh duck?!? :rolleyes:

WTH is Hume talking about :confused:

In the video he says "until recently people were fleeing the city and stores were closing". When did this occur? I don't think there has ever been a time in our recent history when the downtown lost residents in fact in the last 30 years the population downtown has probably doubled.

He then goes on to say that the one thing local condo residents "didn't have was a place to by food" Huh:confused: Just a five minute walk west of here is a Metro and Sobey's at College Park, and another Sobey's further North on Yonge. Another five minute walk south of here is a Metro in the old Sears warehouse and of course five minutes North on Church you will find premium meats at Cumbraes, Cheese at "about Cheese, and other quality food vendors. Does Hume even think when he opens his mouth :confused:

That's exactly what I thought when I watched that video, not to mention the huge Loblaws at Jarvis & Queen's Quay that he overlooked.

So I happily lined up, got inside and it was really busy. I was going to actually shop and pick up a few things but just decided to scope out the store. It's brilliant, I love everything about it in the maybe 20 minutes I was in there. My only quip is I wish (and had thought) that the Church Street side would have the access to Joe Fresh and the LCBO, I don't know where I ever got that idea from and I still think that would have been a better arrangement giving more life to the Church Street side but again, it's a minor complaint. I can't wait to get back in there and do some grocery shopping however I will continue supporting the local specialty grocers in my neighbourhood such as Reithers, Cumbrae's, Pusateri's, Super Fresh Mart for quick things that I need late at night and About Cheese.

fantastic photos ^^^ it's kinda ugly the way the ceilings look with the concrete marks and all, but in a sense, it kinda adds to the antique feel/historical part that this place was converted... cool!..

this was a RARE construction project, that we could hardly see any construction of! (compared to skyscraper construction right in the open)

Slightly off topic:

I only recently checked out the LCBO at summerhill, it's amazing ! I had no idea ...
I urge anyone who hasn't been there to check it out.

I love how they used different sections of the station, it's huge.

thanks ... i'm surprised they aren't doing 24 hours like metro and sobey's

Do you think there would be enough demand for a 24 hour store of this size and location?

it's kinda ugly the way the ceilings look with the concrete marks and all, but in a sense, it kinda adds to the antique feel/historical part that this place was converted... cool!..

My thoughts exactly. The rough ceiling, along with some of the exposed pillars which I didn't photograph, gives you that feeling of age and history, even a bit of that older warehouse feel. Whether that particular finish was intentional or not, I think it turned out nicely IMO!

Back