Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

The reason there's a line-up is because people go in and don't come out :) My husband has been there for a couple of hours now. He's having far too much fun.

never saw so many people lining up for a grocery store. No matter what the building used to be, it is a grocery store. I doubt it sells anything that Metro doesn't just 200 meters away. What fun can you possibly have in it?
In three days, I am sure it will still be a grocery store.

People who survive on more than frozen pizzas and Kraft dinners are certainly excited. I do a lot of cooking and I often have to go to several stores to get what I want. Metro can be out of things as simple as buttermilk or celery, which can be positively infuriating.

never saw so many people lining up for a grocery store. No matter what the building used to be, it is a grocery store. I doubt it sells anything that Metro doesn't just 200 meters away. What fun can you possibly have in it?

They have displays and plenty of other things you would absolutely not find anywhere else.

Did you know they have a gigantic Maple leaf made out of the blue chairs? And they have centre ice marked in one of the aisles?

Seriously go inside and you wouldn't be saying that.

The Architect:

The meaning of cultural references might not translate across cultures, especially when someone didn't grew up with hockey. Not mocking anyone, just the way it works.

AoD

What a curmudgeonly point of view! The neighbourhood gets a grocery store (and not just a run of the mill one either), and the city saves a beloved heritage building by repurposing it in a practical and meaningful way through the Ryerson/Loblaws partnership. In other words, one small step for this little corner of the city, and one giant leap for urbanism in Toronto! What's not to enjoy and celebrate? What's not for people to be curious about??

That leaf made of chairs, just so you all know, is not made from original blue seats.. All blues were wooden, and none were left in MLG. The maple leaf of chairs is made from seat parts from remaining golds/reds, or possibly even reds that were in the stands.. The back pad has been removed, but make no mistake about it, blues did not have padded seat bottoms.

The Architect:

The meaning of cultural references might not translate across cultures, especially when someone didn't grew up with hockey. Not mocking anyone, just the way it works.

AoD

I know, I was just explaining what sets it apart from "the Metro 200 metres away" and any other grocery store. Even if you don't care about hockey, you have to admit that it's different and interesting.

WTH is Hume talking about :confused:

In the video he says "until recently people were fleeing the city and stores were closing". When did this occur? I don't think there has ever been a time in our recent history when the downtown lost residents in fact in the last 30 years the population downtown has probably doubled.

He then goes on to say that the one thing local condo residents "didn't have was a place to by food" Huh:confused: Just a five minute walk west of here is a Metro and Sobey's at College Park, and another Sobey's further North on Yonge. Another five minute walk south of here is a Metro in the old Sears warehouse and of course five minutes North on Church you will find premium meats at Cumbraes, Cheese at "about Cheese, and other quality food vendors. Does Hume even think when he opens his mouth :confused:

Peepers, go back 10 or 15 years and indeed, there was practically nowhere to go for food.

I too spent a lot of time in there this afternoon! :) It's a really large store by downtown standards. Here are some pics that I snapped:

The Marquee, closeup, and the lights underneath it:
6433266079_653e543418_b.jpg

6433268041_33f2031ef1_b.jpg

6433269997_aa9ab2918b_b.jpg

Escalator going upstair to LCBO, Joe Fresh, and the cooking school.
6433271951_a2bd1d09bf_b.jpg

A few pics of the Maple Leaf chair art hanging above the escalators. On the back wall beside the art you can even see the outline of what used to be the old stands:
6433273987_e00d2eb520_b.jpg

6433291967_4592ddb202_b.jpg

6433296555_0e64a5926c_b.jpg

Couple interior shots around the fresh prepared food and seating area:
6433275679_2ff8f9c6c3_b.jpg

6433277917_ea0a506bc6_b.jpg

Throughout the space, pillars are clad with these etched images of important moments in Gardens history:
6433279697_f3b31885f1_b.jpg

6433283305_43c2eaffe5_b.jpg

6433281707_1ce1df8fd2_b.jpg

6433285303_f0687728cb_b.jpg

6433287251_e4b5b1ea01_b.jpg

6433289555_7e34191d71_b.jpg

Back