Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

anyone know why the Tridel store is closing/what was the Tridel store for anyway???... i'd rather have a Mcdonalds or A&W or something go in there because wasn't the mcdonalds site purchased by a developer?

The Tridel store moved up to their James Cooper Mansion project. It's for selling units and having meetings with purchasers.

I'd like to see the Pizza Hut back, personally.

I really like the marquee. A very nice surprise.

In general, we should all aspire to something better than chains......... but if we were to bring in a pizza chain, everyone know's the correct answer would be to revive Mother's Pizza (best pizza chain ever!) just sayin.......... :D

Oh by the by...........

http://www.mothersrestaurants.com/

Last edited:
anyone going early tomorrow morning for the big opening "hoopla"?

I am tempted to stop by for a gift card on my way to work -I'd be willing to go (and wait) a bit early, but not if it means getting there at 5am....any predictions on how crazy it will be?

i dont know how much the gift cards will be worth - Breakfast Television is going to be there, and usually when they're on hand to open a store (or whatever) the gift cards are between 25 and 50, with a few larger ones mixed in for excitement. I am just guessing. Maybe someone else has more info?

anyone going early tomorrow morning for the big opening "hoopla"?

I am tempted to stop by for a gift card on my way to work -I'd be willing to go (and wait) a bit early, but not if it means getting there at 5am....any predictions on how crazy it will be?

It's a GROCERY STORE guys, don't lose your beauty sleep.

haha. yes, i DO need my beauty sleep...

Oh, and regarding the Marquee - it's fine i guess. I can live with the white back-lit plastic, but i really wish they'd tidied up the MLG font. It may be true to the original, but it's really ugly. The glass panels extending down from the edge, do help, but the lighting fixtures underneath look a bit too home depot, and they've been installed all wonky. (When you walk under them and look up, they're not in straight lines).

And my last gripe is with the torch style lights at the Loblaws entrance (and maybe they are elsewhere too) - I think these are original, (at least they look it by their sad condition) and they've been re installed too close to the canopy. On the upside, I am looking forward to the seeing the facade lit-up which will give that stretch a new vibe at night.

Anyway, enough nit-picking, i am really happy to have the building back - it will make the area much more lively and release me from the pain of No Frills and Metro shopping.

There are those of us who get worked up for new grocery stores :) And this isn't just any store.

There are those of us who get worked up for new grocery stores :) And this isn't just any store.

I agree! When it comes to Loblaws, their previous attempts at an urban grocery store have been FAILS (Queens Quay comes to mind), so this is an awesome change for them!
I can NOT wait to get in there tmw!

What matters is that they keep their cheeses properly and choose the Longo's approach of setting up smaller produce displays to avoid mountains of slowly rotting fruit and vegetables. But that requires more staff, of course.

From G&M;

Ryerson University’s new athletic facility, which includes a new hockey rink under the building’s storied old roof, will be named the Peter Gilgan Athletic Centre at the Gardens thanks to a $15-million gift from Peter Gilgan, the founder and CEO of Mattamy Homes.

The NHL-sized rink will be dubbed Mattamy Home Ice, and is expected to be ready for the first skaters in March. The facility's grand opening is scheduled for May.

Back