Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Its a rumour..............just a rumour ;)

That the target date for opening is November 9th.........

Don't hold me to it, these things change.............

It's possible that they might make Nov. 9th but that's a pretty aggressive schedule based on what I've seen inside. I'd be happy to be wrong though!

Looking southwest through MLG from the northeast corner of the building. The bright area between the 2 columns on the left is College St.

mlgs17.jpg

A $30/night dormitory opened up next to the Yonge Wellesley LCBO, in the previous St Marcs bathhouse. Hilarious in one way, but now that LCBO is surrounded by people who used to creep over to Sherbourne at night. No elitist am I, but it's not a nice vibe. I'll bet the LCBO has been looking for a new flagship-store location for this area for some time.

They're being evicted...

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1059037--eviction-forces-closing-of-esl-dorm?bn=1

"About 90 people, many of them foreign exchange students, must find new housing after the operators of a downtown Toronto “dormitory’’ and ESL centre were issued eviction notices.

The city calls it an illegal rooming house.

Dong and Joy Lee’s “Marina Centre,’’ near Yonge and Wellesley, features about 100 sparse 7-by-10-foot rooms crammed along several maze-like hallways."

It's possible that they might make Nov. 9th but that's a pretty aggressive schedule based on what I've seen inside. I'd be happy to be wrong though!

A couple of days ago I saw them unloading detergent boxes into the store from a PC truck. Very odd to start building inventory in all that mess, but I guess the storage areas would be the easiest to finish off.

That's so weird, but I guess non-perishables can begin to be stored already. There's no way in hell that place is going to be ready for a November opening though, IMO.

Theres no way in hell they will be open by Nov. 9. The Queen/Portland store is MUCH further along, with store fixtures already up and is set to open at the same time. I would say late November/early December for MLG. Though that picture above could simply be the Joe Fresh store, or LCBO, and Loblaws which wouldn't be seen in that photo could be much further along.

I believe that's that case, we can't see the Loblaws store in the photo above

Well I didn't see this coming. This must be the old Tridel space at Carlton & Yonge. I guess they'll be in direct competition with the new Loblaws on a number of products. Downtown residents have gone from having almost no grocery stores to being lousy with them.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1J3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 280946 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Sep 23, 2011

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing ground floor retail unit, "Bulk Barn". Scope of work includes creating an opening in the floor space for future freight elevator.

I don't think Bulk Barn competes with Loblaws at all. In fact, there is a Bulk Barn inside the Loblaws at Lakeshore/Leslie.

Well with the area exploding with condos, apartments & dorms and with so many yet to be built it makes good business sense.
Some of the products in bulk barns are crap, but there's some good stuff there mostly along the line of healthy nuts, dried fruits, honey, basic baking needs and such.

Last edited:

Back