Toronto Ryerson University: Smart Campus Integration and Testing Hub | 10.54m | 3s | Ryerson University | Gow Hastings

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/02/ryerson-announces-two-new-purchases

Now Ryerson has just announced a $32 million dollar purchase of an additional two properties located in close proximity to its campus.

... The other purchase is a significantly smaller one located at 136 Dundas Street East and spans a modest 750 square-metre plot. It lies immediately south of the Merchandise Lofts building on the northwest corner of Mutual and Dundas, and currently serves as a parking lot as well.

Google Maps View

Ryerson purchasing both these parking lots is great news. Further enhancing the street wall of this stretch. Dundas East, between Church and Jarvis, will gradually come together.

They cleared the trailers yesterday from the site. Not sure what they were for or why they removed them.

IMG_0759.jpeg

They cleared the trailers yesterday from the site. Not sure what they were for or why they removed them.

View attachment 215885

One of the trailers was the site office for the Ryerson Church Street building that was recently completed. Whatever interior work is required for the interior of the upper (residence) floors can be done from an on-site office. The other was a stored-energy experiment. I guess that's complete too.

Considering that Ryerson's project at Dundas East & Jarvis by Henning Larsen is moving along the pipeline, they may want to keep this lot available for construction trailer space for that too when it comes around.

Ultimately it's Ryerson's choice on what they want to build there. But 3 storeys remains very timid. Guess they evaluated their options and felt they didn't need a larger amount of administrative or classroom spaces here. I would've like to see this site go for at least 6 or 7 storeys though, to make the most of a Dundas fronting property.

Last edited:
Ultimately it's Ryerson's choice on what they want to build there. But 3 storeys remains very timid. Guess they evaluated their options and felt they didn't need a larger amount of administrative or classroom spaces here. I would've like to see this site go for at least 6 or 7 storeys though, to make the most of a Dundas fronting property.

I wonder if separation distance rules play into the decision at all.

With residential on the north side of the laneway, kicking in at about the 4th floor (lower levels are parking).

The lots are only ~26M deep, so if they had to come in front that.....

Just a thought.

Still no documents showing up for this on the AIC but I come bearing a rendering and information from WZMH Architects' Instagram page

252558507_442012350622742_7216699387105747557_n.jpg

The Smart Campus Integration and Testing Hub (SCITHub) at @@ryerson_u will serve as a next-generation facility, providing researchers and private industries a site to develop, test and showcase innovative and sustainable state-of-the-art digital and fabrication technologies. With a mass timber structural frame, high performance mechanical systems, and ground-source heat exchangers, the facility will also incorporate our Innovation Lab’s Intelligent Structural Panel (ISP), a prefabricated steel Sandwich Plate System (SPS) panel with plug-and-play ‘intelligence’ inside.

source

Still no documents showing up for this on the AIC but I come bearing a rendering and information from WZMH Architects' Instagram page

View attachment 361964

source

I can't make up my mind.......it's a portable classroom, or it's an over-width shipping container................painted beige...........

Either way, it's entirely awful..........

Thanks for the info either way, LOL....................but wow...............OMG that's awful...........that's Kirkor awful................no......no.....that's worse.........

The project, headed by Ryerson architectural science professor Jenn McArthur, will operate as a lab showcasing and testing emerging smart technologies.

“This facility is designed to serve as a model for what sustainable construction can look like beyond 2030,” McArthur said in March when $1.96 million in project funding was announced. “We’re aiming for net-zero carbon over the life cycle of the building and to really use it as an opportunity to showcase the state-of-the-art technologies that we need to mitigate climate change.”

The new build, dubbed the Smart Campus Integration and Testing Lab, will consist of two temporary buildings at 136 Dundas Street East, on the north side of the road, to the west of Mutual Street. There will be a two-storey L-shaped building along the southeastern portion of the property, and a three-storey rectangular building on the western side, to be used as a research building.

Once up and running, the digitally-enabled Toronto build will focus on integrating Smart City and Smart Campus software, including optimizing building energy efficiency, improving occupant health and productivity, reducing carbon emissions, and mitigating cybersecurity risks. There will also be two remote installations at partner universities — the University of New Brunswick and the University of Victoria — contributing data to the system.

The testing lab will try out commercial smart building applications like low-carbon air and water heat pump systems, lighting, and communication systems.

The application doesn’t specify how long the buildings would remain standing for but does note several times that they will be temporary.

Back