Toronto Ryerson University: Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex | 105.76m | 27s | Ryerson University | Perkins&Will

I'm wondering if the academic facilities are to accommodate the new Health Sciences Building or if that will go elsewhere?

If Ryerson were to make an effort to stick roughly to their 'core campus' area for any future building, which I consider to be Yonge to Jarvis, and Dundas to Gerrard, there are only 2 other parking lots/vacant spaces left, the old Sears/222 Jarvis Parking lot, and the Yonge/Gould/Empress Lot.

Of course there are many 'redevelopment' opportunities, and Ryerson has shown a willingness to stray beyond its core campus by several blocks.

Maybe the redevelopment of Kerr Hall could be in the offing too, though I imagine that would be a very large project.

Only tangentially related, but has anyone heard about Ryerson's plans for permanent makeover for Gould Street?

They can easily extend south of Dundas East. There are plenty of parking lots on both sides of Church st all the way to King St.

This has to accommodate the health sciences building since I believe it was mentioned before that it would require large floor plates. I'm glad this is the lot that's being developed since it always seemed like the most logical spot to me for Ryerson's next major building.

Wow Ryerson is truly "growing up" and this project further strengthens its academic gravity and positions it as a world-class post-secondary institution. When I went there it was often called RyHi and this project (alongside all of the more recent projects) moves it further and further from this. It's great to see how all of these changes have helped it rebrand.

Incredible news as the development of this lot will solidify the Ryerson core campus area and complete this section's streetscape. Ryerson's expansion has definitely contributed to enhancing and revitalizing the area.

Wow Ryerson is truly "growing up" and this project further strengthens its academic gravity and positions it as a world-class post-secondary institution. When I went there it was often called RyHi and this project (alongside all of the more recent projects) moves it further and further from this. It's great to see how all of these changes have helped it rebrand.

world class? You are getting ahead of yourself too much.
few people outside GTA ever heard about Ryerson. Way too early to mention "world class".

Yeah Ryerson isn't world class yet. I may be a lowly York student but I hold Ryerson in no higher regard than I do my own poor, poor university. Well maybe not in all regards, Ryerson does manage to maintain a vaguely safe campus in a neighbourhood that really isn't that different from York's (Regent and Moss Park v. Jane and Finch). But it's still Ryerson High to me.

I equate world-class to getting a fantastic job right after graduating from my undergraduate program. As far as its origins as a Polytechnic institute go, it definately stood out across the globe as a leading post-secondary institution. That's enough for me. Ryerson is definately on the right track and it will only get better as the years pass.

Yeah Ryerson isn't world class yet. I may be a lowly York student but I hold Ryerson in no higher regard than I do my own poor, poor university. Well maybe not in all regards, Ryerson does manage to maintain a vaguely safe campus in a neighbourhood that really isn't that different from York's (Regent and Moss Park v. Jane and Finch). But it's still Ryerson High to me.

Ryerson now has a much higher ratio of applications to spots than York. Besides having a law school and a few other well-known programs and having been a university longer, I see no reason why York is rated any higher than Ryerson. Given the chronic safety issues at York and Ryerson's increasing admissions standards, it's only a matter of time before Ryerson is considered the "#2" school in the GTA in my opinion.

I'm not a York graduate but i can admit that they do have one of the most renowned business schools in all of Canada.

Ryerson now has a much higher ratio of applications to spots than York. Besides having a law school and a few other well-known programs and having been a university longer, I see no reason why York is rated any higher than Ryerson. Given the chronic safety issues at York and Ryerson's increasing admissions standards, it's only a matter of time before Ryerson is considered the "#2" school in the GTA in my opinion.

All true and nothing I care about. Maybe I didn't make my contempt for my "lovely" school clear. I just think that calling Ryerson world class is just as stupid as calling York world class. I don't doubt that the movement is toward Ryerson being better regard than York (if it isn't already) but it sure doesn't mean anything except to those of us in the city.

Though I do often forget that Schulich and Osgoode are actually pretty prestigious. If they weren't attached to York I suspect they'd be even more prestigious.

world class? You are getting ahead of yourself too much.
few people outside GTA ever heard about Ryerson. Way too early to mention "world class".

It's perfectly acceptable to mention "world class" if that's what the university aspires to. You need the phrase to discuss aspirations, though if you're sceptical about how far into the future we're talking about, then that's understandable. It should be noted that a school's "brand" recognition isn't necessarily a reflection of the overall quality of its education. Looking at the QS world ranking of universities, if you asked the average North American about their thoughts on the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, the National University of Singapore, and maybe even Imperial College London, they might not recognize the names. And that's just from the top of the list--the elite group of world-class institutions.

Back