Toronto Ryerson University: Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex | 105.76m | 27s | Ryerson University | Perkins&Will

June 28 2016.

Work begins on the base for the tower crane.

upload_2016-6-28_20-13-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-28_20-13-2.png
    upload_2016-6-28_20-13-2.png
    687.2 KB · Views: 2,205
Exciting construction update from the project website. Ground level by December!
http://ryersonbuilds.ryerson.ca/daphne-cockwell-health-sciences-complex/

June 27, 2016

The new ramp within the worksite is now in its final place, and construction of the platform is nearly complete. Once that is done, a concrete footing will be poured, upon which the crane will be erected onsite to complete the remaining soil excavation. This final excavation activity will continue through mid-August; later in the summer a second crane will be erected at the project site. The installation of the final hoarding is in progress, with the balance to be completed once the second crane is in place. The laneway behind the site is now partially closed, with access still available for the church and Ryerson’s loading docks.

Once the cranes are in place and excavation complete, the rest of the year will be spent pouring the concrete for the sub-floors. The project is expected to reach “ground-level” in December.

This isn't precisely on topic, but I thought, perhaps a good thread to find someone w/the answers.

Has Ryerson ever finalized a new streetscape plan? One was proposed as part of the Campus Masterplan process back in 2008, which was to begin with facelift
of Gould Street. To my knowledge nothing has come forward, and I'm not clear as to whether Gerrard is being re-done with a cohesive Ryerson plan in mind, or whether
this development will fit with a clear vision for Church Street.

There were some public meetings in the spring about it I think. They are currently in the process of finalizing it, hopefully the first parts can start soon. Now that Gould is closed for good, it would be nice to see it renovated. Something needs to be done with Victoria north of Dundas too - pedestrians treat it as a pedestrian zone and cars always get pissed trying to get in and out of the parking garage. Making it a woonerf would make it clearer that pedestrians are supposed to mix with cars.

I think Gerrard is being redone to regular city design standards. I wouldn't expect anything fancy there, but the street was in such poor condition anything will be a massive improvement. The city has really upped its standard streetscape designs in the last few years anyway.

^Here are a couple of the display boards from the informal information session in January 2016:
View attachment 82928
View attachment 82929

Ty Ottbike! Very helpful.

Overall design proposal looks encouraging. Doesn't seem to do anything for either Dundas or Gerrard. But Church, it appears, they wish to narrow.

I approve of the overall theory; though the Church proposal should be cooridated with an overall vision for said street beyond Ryerson's borders.

Rather amazing that one shovel at the bottom of the pit can hand off materials to another one parked on the edge (!) of the pit above, which then swings it into a truck to cart it away…

Rather amazing that one shovel at the bottom of the pit can hand off materials to another one parked on the edge (!) of the pit above, which then swings it into a truck to cart it away…

Here is an "action shot" of that movement. It was pretty neat to watch them coordinate!

unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 891

Back