Toronto Ryerson University: Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex | 105.76m | 27s | Ryerson University | Perkins&Will

They are closing the parking lot today. Cars are still there but fences have been dropped off, restricting access to a single entrance, and the parking meter has been removed. I bet they close it fully tonight.

Fencing is all up and windows on building to the north have been covered with plywood. They have really encroached on the sidewalk here. I hope that's not permanent! I don't even know if there is enough room for a wheelchair.

Today:
2015-11-19 10.03.44.jpg

2015-11-19 10.03.49.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-11-19 10.03.44.jpg
    2015-11-19 10.03.44.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 1,724
  • 2015-11-19 10.03.49.jpg
    2015-11-19 10.03.49.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 1,696
Fantastic to see this lot go. Church Street is slowly starting to heal itself.

Sadly, the street is still defaced by a surprising number of them, however a lot of them thankfully have active proposals. Let's just hope Church doesn't turn into an eastern version of Bay Street.

Ryerson seems to like building interesting structures, even when they are basic in form they tend to add interesting lighting features etc. Also I think ryerson and the village keep church street a lot more pedestrian oriented. Bay isn't really the most walkable.

Ryerson seems to like building interesting structures, even when they are basic in form they tend to add interesting lighting features etc. Also I think ryerson and the village keep church street a lot more pedestrian oriented. Bay isn't really the most walkable.

Did Ryerson keep street walkable though? I don't think it did, as far as its share of Church st is concerned. Just walk between Gerrard and Dundas you would know - almost all their buildings have a blank wall against the Church st. Its presence actually make Church st more boring.

https://goo.gl/maps/6tTNex1tacw

Ryerson seems to like building interesting structures, even when they are basic in form they tend to add interesting lighting features etc.
There is also a fair bit of coherence in the design approach among a lot of the new buildings, with strong geometric elements and prominent use of glass exteriors with bright white or light blue in the palette. In many ways, Ryerson seems to be constructing a campus that fits together in a modern sense as well as the older sections of UofT does for a much earlier architectural era.

Ksun - I actually walk that stretch often. Though there is not much facing the street it is still very lively from students crossing Gould as well as the residences on the east side. The street might not be grandly landscaped but it does have those cedar chip beds which have nice established trees, many of which blossom in spring even, and there are always lots of cute squirrels eating pizza crusts and what not to keep one entertained. It is certainly not run down, under utilized or sterile. Sometimes streets don't need to have lots of retail or amazing structures, as long as they manage to keep a pleasant lively vibe. Which it does.

Back