Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

I didn't see anything on the Development Application sign about removing any sidewalk space; rather they want to convert a portion of the lower level of the retail space into institutional uses and use the remaining ground-level and remaining lower space for a retailer as originally planned.

Just some insight, the theatre school at Ryerson needs a new home(44/46 Gerrard St E is kind of falling apart), they were looking at the SLC as a possible place to go to temporarily. I guess they would use that retail space until a new facility opens, so it could just be a temporary arrangement, albeit for a few years.

The illumination of the image arts building makes the campus so much nicer at night, and I feel like it makes it safer as well.

Last edited:
Why would we want an underground garage here at this intersection, while there's a massive one directly south of it?

I didn't say that I wanted underground parking; the point I was trying to make by that comment was that this relatively small 8 story building cost $112 million (probably ended up costing more than that since this figure was just the budget) for no other reason other than the fact that Ryerson wanted to make it look sexy.

Last edited:
The illumination of the image arts building makes the campus so much nicer at night, and I feel like it makes it safer as well.

True that it makes it look nice. But the outrageous hydro expenses to keep it illuminated would have been better redirected to spending that actually improve students' quality of education.

As to your comment in regards to safety...Ryerson campus is not exactly know as a high crime area.

Actually, your bad example reveals your own priorities quite clearly. At any rate, the building is 8 storey, actually, plus a basement retail level actually. Direct government component of the funding is 45 million, not 112 million. And is it "better" health care, education and social services, or was it higher pay for said providers?

AoD

Well..if you think that the health care system, the education system, and social services are very well funded then I guess you're right that all I am trying to do is advocate for higher pay for said providers.

To me it doesn't matter how much the provincial government contributed, money was wasted all across the board in each component of the funding pool because of the high cost of this project. The government component of the funding could have been halved, and the saved money could have paid for other government services (and I don't mean higher pay for said providers). The fundraising monies and internal funds components of this project could have also been much less, and the saved money could have paid for stuff that actually improve the quality of the education that Ryerson students receive.

Just my thoughts...but I guess I'm just a boring accountant.

Last edited:
LED technology is relatively cheap compared to incandescent lighting, no?

It may be...but a dollar spent to illuminate that building is a dollar too much. The illumination doesn't add any value other than making the building look sexy.

True that it makes it look nice. But the outrageous hydro expenses to keep it illuminated would have been better redirected to spending that actually improve students' quality of education.

As to your comment in regards to safety...Ryerson campus is not exactly know as a high crime area.

The Ryerson security alert emails I get from time to time speaks otherwise. If I wasn't a man, I would probably be more concerned walking around Victoria and Dundas at night, and I know many girls who are.

I'll agree with iMiiTH, the Image Arts Building makes the area feel safer.

Jan 17
More up on site
15700908824_aef0b84d31_b.jpg

16137478237_c858b1eb5c_b.jpg

16321560751_39552b6fde_b.jpg

15700923304_e45536b42f_b.jpg

16135798638_df6121d2e2_b.jpg

16137157369_8e8394bb32_b.jpg

16135800038_f89ea1c6e8_b.jpg

Smaller retail and less of it. That's unfortunate. Why is Ryerson so crappy at retail? They made Church St. a dead zone with no retail in the buildings, and now they're reducing it here?

Outrageous hydro expenses? How much are they?

It may be...but a dollar spent to illuminate that building is a dollar too much. The illumination doesn't add any value other than making the building look sexy.

why are you on this forum? all people ever do here is whine about how developers cheap out on aesthetics and make ugly boring buildings. Ryerson actually takes aesthetics into account and you beat them down for it?

So pretty much confirmed the ground level Starbucks will be the only retail tenant, with the below grade portion being expanded student space. Shame.

But let's be real. Despite the building being beautiful and well constructed, they really missed the mark by cramming retail space underneath the cube with multi-level floor spaces.

Hmm, sounds like a potentially good new location for the bookstore? It would be relatively insensitive to location in the basement, provides a large amount of walk in traffic (which helps Yonge), and free up the existing location in the parking garage.

AoD

This strikes me as a 'know the cost of everything but the value of nothing' kind of perspective. It's the kind of thinking that believes the arts are a waste in the public school system or that well maintained green spaces and streetscapes are gravy.

So pretty much confirmed the ground level Starbucks will be the only retail tenant, with the below grade portion being expanded student space. Shame.

But let's be real. Despite the building being beautiful and well constructed, they really missed the mark by cramming retail space underneath the cube with multi-level floor spaces.

I completely agree. I would presume they didn't want to do any retail at all if they could have.

Back