Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

Weird that that was an issue to begin with given both Snohetta and Zeidler primarily work in cold weather climates.

That green wall has always irked me, especially the parapet/edge detail. How anyone ever thought greenery could possibly grow right to the edge of the precast I do not know - it should have been detailed with at least some sort of aluminum flashing to cover the space between the plantings and the precast.

I can excuse the poor interior detailing since budgets are a thing after all, but I find such a crappy detail surprising in such a prominent location.

Snohetta has been pretty successful with green walls before, but in a much more temperate climate and likely with a higher budget. The green wall at the SFMoMA is a thing of beauty and easily three times the size of this one. Problem is they likely didn't consider putting in plants that could survive the harsh winters and as such we're seeing the wall degrade. I think simply changing the plants used could make a big difference longterm.

Living walls just do not do well in our climate. They need more temperate milder winters where the plants can flourish relatively most of the year.

No amount of vegetation would have covered that gutter along the edge of the precast. Climate issues aside, it's a poor detail in a prominent location.

No amount of vegetation would have covered that gutter along the edge of the precast. Climate issues aside, it's a poor detail in a prominent location.

I can't imagine it'd be that difficult to cover that section up with sedum based modular green roof systems. It could provide a ton of colour and require minimal maintenance.

AoD

no crap. You need to take an elevator just to get into the building. It meets AODA on a technicality, by ensuring people with disabilities are able to navigate the building, but shoehorns these features in as forgotten features that are difficult to use and hidden from the main part of the building. You have to go onto O'keefe Lane to use the accessible entrance to the building, there are tons of awkward ramps, spaces, etc.

Back