Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

i apologize in advance for not doing my homework, not reading a bunch of posts from previous threads.
but would someone tell me what has happened to the neon signs?
and where they may end up?
i always fantasized about them showing up in dundas square...

i apologize in advance for not doing my homework, not reading a bunch of posts from previous threads.
but would someone tell me what has happened to the neon signs?
and where they may end up?
i always fantasized about them showing up in dundas square...

They're supposed to be restored and then incorporated into the new Ryerson building.

Well, somehow or another. The fact is, they're "accounted for".

Though nobody's seen fit to acknowledge this (perhaps because it's too banal to acknowledge), while the double-disk sign was a pop icon, in raw architectural terms, the ex-CIBC was superior--and Sam's did an interesting job of incorporating it (safe and all). Trouble is, there's so many (still) like it across Canada--though as a 50s-style classical-modern hybrid, it's one of Canada's most familiar and elegant (and unsung) bank archetypes. But even I wouldn't go super-out-of-the-way to save it...

^ CIBC built many like it during the 50s. It is, or at least was, a nice-looking building, but there is no way this one-storey structure would be saved now at this corner, which demands to be developed with something much higher-value.

Some still remain in the city, and likely will, well into the future. Bloor and Ossington, and Dundas and Burnhamthorpe, are a couple. There used to be one much like it at the "Four Corners" in downtown Brampton, but it is now gone, having been sacrificed for the sake of the Rose Theatre.

As of yet, nothing on KPMB's website about anything at RyeHigherson other than the Master Plan, which includes various renderings of what they'd like to do to Kerr Hall. The corner at Yonge Street and Gould though? Nuthin'.

There used to be one much like it at the "Four Corners" in downtown Brampton, but it is now gone, having been sacrificed for the sake of the Rose Theatre.

Which might be more regrettable on urbanistic grounds than architectural...

even though these are a bit outdated, i took a couple of pics on jan 24th when there was still a bit of the building left.

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4291.jpg

yes, sam the record man was legendary. it was THE place to get music and a staple of yonge street. of course, yonge was full of hookers, strip joints, and seedy theaters, but that was the charm! this was the place where The Band and Ronnie Hawkins, Joni Mitchell, and Neil Young went to get their music when they were part of Toronto's 1960's music scene. amazing.

i'm what you UT veterans call a 'youngster' and was never around in its prime, but i've heard all of the stories. i was lucky enough to shop there in its twilight years and watch its beautifully tacky records shine over the street. i'm glad though that the site was given to a university and not a condo developer, or worse, as Joni said, a parking lot.

we'll have to wait for future renderings, but let's hope that the new building will be beautiful and create greater clout for both Yonge Street and Ryerson.

does anyone know where the records are going? i heard they'd be moved somewhere "appropriate" on campus but i really can't see these things fitting in anywhere. i think they would be best placed in, say, a Musem of Canadian Music on the waterfront...anybody else dreaming?

Last edited:
i suggested the waterfront for a couple of reasons.

queen, yonge, spadina, bloor, and most of the main through-ways don't any space for an institution as large as the museum.

i heard rumblings somewhere that the canada malt plant would be converted into said museum. of course, these are all just rumours and hopes. in any case, the waterfront needs a show-stopping, cultural attraction to help lure people there, even if it is currently being revitalized. i envision a great museum at that plant, with a great auditorium for concerts, looking out on the lake.

i heard rumblings somewhere that the canada malt plant would be converted into said museum. of course, these are all just rumours and hopes. in any case, the waterfront needs a show-stopping, cultural attraction to help lure people there, even if it is currently being revitalized. i envision a great museum at that plant, with a great auditorium for concerts, looking out on the lake.

That location was mentioned a couple of years ago,but since then i dont know what happened to that proposal.

http://metronomecanada.com/

Ryerson is in talks with two other university's to partner up and start a new media school. The proposed location would be Yonge St. I think the Sam's records would be a GREAT fit for this new school.

Back