Toronto TMU: Science Building | 81.7m | 14s | TMU | Henning Larsen

The Province bought the property in 2007 and I heard they were looking at options at developing the site since 2008. There are two properties at the northeast corner of Dundas and Mutual that are not part of the land holdings (which may or may not have changed).

Who knows..rumour has it that there will eventually be two condo towers and retail planned for this site.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/02/ryerson-announces-two-new-purchases

Now Ryerson has just announced a $32 million dollar purchase of an additional two properties located in close proximity to its campus. The first is located at 202 Jarvis, a large 5,400 square metre lot which interestingly remains the only undeveloped major parcel in the Ryerson area. It lies just south of the former Sears building recently retrofitted by the Ontario Government. Until it is developed the lot will serve as student parking.

This is a pretty significant parking lot so nice opportunity to add a substantial building here. I can picture learning space in the lower section, and several towers housing student residences above.

Should also be enough room for public/student social space. Maybe a nice landscaped square or courtyard. One of my favorite attributes of U of T is their great collection of beautiful public spaces.

I imagine that they will use this to create more class space to make it easier to redevelop the fortress otherwise known as Kerr Hall.

Should also be enough room for public/student social space. Maybe a nice landscaped square or courtyard. One of my favorite attributes of U of T is their great collection of beautiful public spaces.

A large public square or open space is exactly what I'm hoping for. U of T has them in spades and it creates a real "campus" atmosphere, whereas Ryerson only has the field in Kerr Hall and the rink next to the School of Image Arts. Closing Gould was a great step, but some more outdoor student 'hang out' areas would really add some character.

edit: I just discovered the courtyard behind the Rogers Communication Centre on Church via Google street view. Looks like a nice little spot. I'm a big fan of how U of T handles spaces between buildings, like the area between Victoria College, Emmanuel College and Northrop Frye Hall.

Last edited:
This may not be the right thread for this, but I figure that any Ryerson thread will do. Are there any plans to renovate the pedestrian lane running along the west side of Kerr Hall? I feel like there's a lot of potential there, but right now it feels like more of a walkway than a "place".

One of the worst parts of Church Street to walk on, is the stretch between Dundas and Gerrard streets and that's mainly because of the deadening effect of Kerr Hall. It completely turns its back to Church. I hope that it gets torn down and completely redeveloped, soon.

Ryerson University Science building (202 Jarvis Street, ?s, ?)

There is a small blurb in this article that mentions this, it seems to be the parking lot at Dundas & Jarvis.

The main faculty of science building will be built on another of Ryerson’s properties, 202 Jarvis St. The current faculty of science building is located in 285 Victoria St.

The site today;

84YWdcS.jpg

Fingers crossed! That area is a complete pedestrian deadzone, both because of that parking lot, and because that condo building just north and across the street from the lot has only garage entrances on Jarvis. Hopefully this new Ryerson building could improve the situation.

Pace and Dundas Square Gardens condos will completely change this area with tons of new people before Ryerson sticks a shovel in the ground here.

Kerr Hall can't be demolished! They'll just replace it with a new glass building that wouldn't have the same cozy old "university feel" (especially with the ivy during the warm weather). They could renovate and do something about the walls facing Church, etc. but if they do plan to demolish it one day, I hope that at least they still preserve a terminating vista on Bond street.

Back