Toronto TMU: Science Building | 81.7m | 14s | TMU | Henning Larsen

Not a bad place at all for something mixed use: if the base was scholastic and some retail, it'd bring the lively student vibe right town to Jarvis and Dundas, where it's sorely needed. Add some grand point towers on top, and it'd be quite a presence. Thinking a bit here of Woodward's in Vancouver.

I was aware that Ryerson was looking to build its new athletic centre there. Did they turn it down completely though? Even for just another campus building?

Ryerson is out of cash. They already own plenty of undeveloped land, and with the new Learning Centre, MLG, and Image Arts, their hands and resources ($) are all tied up.

We should stop calling this the "Sears Building" and the thread title should change too. Sears sold the site several years ago to the Provincial government.

It's still a catchier name than 222 Jarvis St.

Maybe we should call it the McGuinty Building.

I bet GG buys this lot and proposes two 46 to 50 storey offset twin towers to complement its new planned 46 storey Pace condo tower across the street. Regarding height..the precedent has been set by X and X2 up the street.

That's like say First Canadian Place has set the precedence for Queen & Woodbine. Anyways, I don't see the government selling this site to a condo developer. It's not a way to impress the constituency.

Looking over the app. again, especially the last two lines, it sounds like they already have plans for the site and the future applicant will be the government.

Parking Lot @ Jarvis & Dundas

This is the parking lot on the northwest corner of Jarvis & Dundas right across from the new Pace Condo

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 2B8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 155392 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Mar 28, 2011

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: Proposal to sever existing lot into 2 parcels. North portion - existing 9 storey office building to remain. South portion - future development to be proposed. (PPR to be applied for at a later date)

I really think that whatever they build here needs to reference the Sears building in some way. Putting up something that ignore's it's neighbour to the north seems like a recipe for architectural dissonance...

I agree. For years Ive walked by this and thought about what a plaza here would be like.

Whatever happens. I just hope they don't obstruct the view of the Sears building too much.

Looking over the app. again, especially the last two lines, it sounds like they already have plans for the site and the future applicant will be the government.

The Province bought the property in 2007 and I heard they were looking at options at developing the site since 2008. There are two properties at the northeast corner of Dundas and Mutual that are not part of the land holdings (which may or may not have changed).

Wasn't there talk about Bousfields being involved in doing the planning for this site? I think I heard something about 2 towers on a podium.. something like 22 storeys (though, I imagine this was pretty preliminary).

Back