Toronto TMU: Science Building | 81.7m | 14s | TMU | Henning Larsen

That being said, I find it odd that a large portion of the ground level is taken up by bicycle parking. Not sure if that is the most optimal use of valuable ground-level space, especially considering there is bicycle parking underground anyway.

That being said, I find it odd that a large portion of the ground level is taken up by bicycle parking. Not sure if that is the most optimal use of valuable ground-level space, especially considering there is bicycle parking underground anyway.

I think it's fantastic -- I don't use a lot of the bicycle parking on offer in newer buildings in this city because it's buried in the depths of the parking garages, often down steep ramps.

I think it's fantastic -- I don't use a lot of the bicycle parking on offer in newer buildings in this city because it's buried in the depths of the parking garages, often down steep ramps.
I suppose it won't be a big bother. I just wonder if there are examples of innovative bicycle parking in Netherlands/Denmark that could support large capacity but on a smaller square footage.

As for what I imagined the space being instead of just bike parking... it could have been extra study/work space for a campus that is often troubled by the lack thereof. Or some sort of auditorium space like the Sears Atrium in the George Vari Engineering Building. Or perhaps a second wing of that learning gallery pictured below, thus transforming the lobby of this building into an impressive presentation space.

1546442817198.png

Side note, but I appreciate that this building doesn't completely turn its back on Jarvis street, between the side entrance to the main lobby, and the residential entrance being on Jarvis.

Yeah I don't use the bicycle parking at my work because it's underground. It's enough of a disincentive to just find a space outside instead.

Good to see an urbanistically interesting proposal. That being said, I sort of wish there was a bit more a design move that responded to the old Sears Building's cantilevers.

What's an "Electric cart route"? (as shown coming off Mutual street in the image above)

Perhaps the most interesting part of this development is the fact that it has only 3 parking spaces - all accessible spaces. This would most likely become the largest "parking free" building in the city.
I hope this is a trend.

Oh man, there goes all my natural light. RIP my plants and any sense of health or well-being in the wintertime.

The application checklist has the Sun/Shadow Study checked off, but I can't find it in the supporting documentation. Does anyone know if it ever gets grouped with other docs? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Oh man, there goes all my natural light. RIP my plants and any sense of health or well-being in the wintertime.

The application checklist has the Sun/Shadow Study checked off, but I can't find it in the supporting documentation. Does anyone know if it ever gets grouped with other docs? I wouldn't mind checking it out.
The shadowing study only needs to show that there won't be excess shadows on the places protected by the Official Plan, being parks, public squares, heritage conservation districts (in some cases) and others I'm forgetting. Private residences and other towers have no right to sunlight, as those towers blocked someone else when they were built too. Sorry about your plants, but that's one of the downsides of urban living.

The shadow study is in Part 2 of the Planning Rationale document

The shadowing study only needs to show that there won't be excess shadows on the places protected by the Official Plan, being parks, public squares, heritage conservation districts (in some cases) and others I'm forgetting. Private residences and other towers have no right to sunlight, as those towers blocked someone else when they were built too. Sorry about your plants, but that's one of the downsides of urban living.

Indeed it is, and we'll definitely be moving out of the area in the next few years. The noise and lack of light didn't bother me so much in my 20s and 30s, but now I'm middle-aged and I like my plants and a bit more serenity than what the corner of Dundas and Jarvis streets have to offer! I do find the sun/shadow reports really interesting to read through.

Back