Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

IMO a darker, glossier metallic material would be entirely acceptable, maybe similar to the cladding used used on Libeskind's Denver Art Museum, but in slat form. Heck, they could even just take the current slats in for a recoating!

6f1045cdd384b7e73045844017336499.jpg

The off-white matte colour currently used on the slats looks dull and cheap, and worst of all, shows dirt easily. The discoloration in the panels also certainly doesn't help!

rom-crystal1.JPG

Siding-Painting-6.jpg

Last edited:
IMO a darker, glossier metallic material would be entirely acceptable, maybe similar to the cladding used used on Libeskind's Denver Art Museum, but in slat form. Heck, they could even just take the current slats in for a recoating!
The off-white matte colour currently used on the slats looks dull and cheap, and worst of all, shows dirt easily. The discoloration in the panels also certainly doesn't help!

Yes and no - geometrically the cladding at ROM is far more exact than that puffy Titanium sheets - I find that aspect far more preferable than DAM. The main issue is the varying tint what's being used - exactedness is a double-edged sword, and it should have been written into the contract that the tint cannot vary.

Maybe they can anodize the slats further at some point and control the tint then?

AoD

Last edited:
I want to be a little more optimistic and note that they've removed all the cladding, not just access sections. Having seen them install the cladding, each slat is individual and independent of the ones surrounding it so there's no need to remove everything to access one portion. If they were repairing leaks, wouldn't they just remove the problem areas and patch them up? Then again, maybe they're redoing the whole roof.

In the meantime, I'll try to remain optimistic that something is being done about the ugly cladding...
Except that the joints for the panels underneath are not parallel to the slats - you might not have to remove all the cladding - but if you have to remove enough of them, you'd might as well do that so that it's easier to build that support structure.

AoD

I guess another positive sign is the fact that the underside of the crystal also has scaffolding. If it’s just leaks, why work on the underside also?

fingers crossed

We know that the underside will be getting reconfigured to create an opening for the new entrance. The fact that they’re doing this work on the unrelated top of the Crystal at the same time does seem encouraging that they’re doing something bigger than fixing leaks.

The new entrance will be all glass so maybe they’re taking the opportunity to replace the cladding as well. A lot of wishful thinking in these thoughts, admittedly.

A lot of wishful thinking in the face of no announcement that they are doing anything other than fixing links. I'm expecting that the same cladding will be going back up.

Back