Toronto The Roncy | 29.56m | 8s | Worsley Urban | RAW Design

IMG_7809.JPG
IMG_7808.JPG
IMG_7806.JPG

There's other examples of former funeral homes redeveloped in the city. 707 Dovercourt south of Bloor W comes to mind, a project early on in the boom. I wonder if they were able to avoid the ill-fated omen of being haunted. There's also many church conversions around.

Not a condo but on topic of spooky Toronto trivia, the old Hsin Kuang building at 346 Spadina Ave was well regarded as a haunted space.

My great grandfather and grandfather were undertakers, and my mother grew up living on one of the two residential floors about the funeral home on Queen in Parkdale where there's now an LCBO. Friends wouldn't come over after school as they were afraid of ghosts, so she went to their places…

There were, however, no ghosts.

To tie this all in, the Turner & Porter funeral home on Roncy was seen as a competitor way back when (although I believe it was another operator in those days). It makes me wonder how many funeral homes have closed compared to how many are still around, because lots are gone.

The other one that comes to mind is Ryan & Odette on Dundas W just west of Dufferin, which is a more recent departure in the funeral home scene in Toronto. That one along with its parking lot along Dufferin already have a proposal in the works and will also be reincarnated into a condo form.

I think fewer people require traditional funeral home services these days. I don’t think many people are being buried anymore and are looking for greener more cost effective options. I can think of quite a few funeral home properties that could make good redevelopment sites.

To tie this all in, the Turner & Porter funeral home on Roncy was seen as a competitor way back when (although I believe it was another operator in those days). It makes me wonder how many funeral homes have closed compared to how many are still around, because lots are gone.
The other one that comes to mind is Ryan & Odette on Dundas W just west of Dufferin, which is a more recent departure in the funeral home scene in Toronto. That one along with its parking lot along Dufferin already have a proposal in the works and will also be reincarnated into a condo form.
For instance, 733 Mt. Pleasant

Back