Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

You can have a 100k seat stadium but if you only sell 25k seats you make the exact same as a 25k seat stadium. In fact I’d argue you actually would make more. The less seats would make the seats more in demand which would up their price. There is zero reason to ever pay full price for a blue jays game currently because people on stub hub are desperately trying to offload their season tickets at a fraction of the stricken price. Where as the leafs and raptors are sold out every night increasing the value of tickets which means they can get away with charging significantly higher prices.
...... and result in less revenue for Rogers

You can have a 100k seat stadium but if you only sell 25k seats you make the exact same as a 25k seat stadium. In fact I’d argue you actually would make more. The less seats would make the seats more in demand which would up their price.
If you have an 100K seat stadium and only sell 25K, vs a 25K stadium that sells out, it's the 25K stadium that's making more.

There's something called operational costs, which would be much higher for 100K stadium.

Shapiro said in the press conference that this will reduce capacity to somewhere closer to 40k. He also did talk a bit about how stadiums now all have less capacity than they used to. It's all about maxing out on those extremely expensive luxury seats and boxes etc.

The Blue Jays have bid on hosting the 2027 MLB All-Star game:

All star games must appear in stadiums like those in Ohio that offer a much superior atmosphere. All star players appreciate the downtown small town Americana vibes of CLE more than big city corporate Toronto. Plus who wants to play in a field which doesn’t call itself a ball park? This is what the Yankees and the dodgers struggle with as well.

All star games must appear in stadiums like those in Ohio that offer a much superior atmosphere. All star players appreciate the downtown small town Americana vibes of CLE more than big city corporate Toronto. Plus who wants to play in a field which doesn’t call itself a ball park? This is what the Yankees and the dodgers struggle with as well.
In that case i'm sure the Jays will look into hosting the games at Sahlen Field. It would be the best venue for an MLB All-Star game there's no doubt, in fact maybe the best venue to host in the past 50 years!

Doing it at the Rogers Centre would be such a travesty, especially since they've never, ever done one there before!

And was very successful...lol. Not sure what he's talking about...lol.

1662035452804.png

That being said All-Star games are held in flashy new stadiums not 34 year old concrete monstrosities.

I highly doubt Toronto will get the All-star game unless a new stadium is built prior.

But I think you're thinking of the stadium as it is right now, and not what it will be five years from now. I'm not the biggest lover of this stadium, but the renovations are quite substantial.

It also comes down to what other cities even make a bid to host.

But I think you're thinking of the stadium as it is right now, and not what it will be five years from now. I'm not the biggest lover of this stadium, but the renovations are quite substantial.

It also comes down to what other cities even make a bid to host.
No no. He is thinking of it five years from now. You don’t need to throw him a life preserver for his poor takes. In five years it still won’t have a city view like cle has. It won’t have grass like cle does. And according to him because those two things don’t exist neither will atmosphere. Richard white will own his take. He keeps coming out and doubling down. But you are very nice for just assuming he can’t envision what the rest of us can see.

No no. He is thinking of it five years from now. You don’t need to throw him a life preserver for his poor takes. In five years it still won’t have a city view like cle has. It won’t have grass like cle does. And according to him because those two things don’t exist neither will atmosphere. Richard white will own his take. He keeps coming out and doubling down. But you are very nice for just assuming he can’t envision what the rest of us can see.

There's no question the stadium will be much improved with these reno's, but it's probably still going be regarded as one of the worst stadiums in MLB. It's still a concrete bunker with no personality, hence these reno's are a mid term solution.

There's no question the stadium will be much improved with these reno's, but it's probably still going be regarded as one of the worst stadiums in MLB. It's still a concrete bunker with no personality, hence these reno's are a mid term solution.
were tempting going in circles here but plenty people here including myself do not believe the jays that they have any actual intention to move. These Reno’s are substantial and the stadium itself may not be perfect but it is sitting on the perfect location.

I tend to think the people who really really really want an open air stadium are clinging to this idea that they are looking into something permanent as solid proof there’s no way the jays will be at the Rogers centre in 30 years. Maybe I don’t care and maybe I just don’t trust business people when they make promises. It’s like a politician. So far away it gives people hope but if it doesn’t happen so what. The politician will be fired or dead by then. This is how I look at any new stadium ideas when we all know the Rogers location is perfect and they keep pouring more and more money into it.

Back