Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Hot take: The roof opening is still cool as hell.

The Skydome was obsolete as soon as it opened. Camden Yards in Baltimore is how you design a baseball stadium. This place looks like a concrete bunker.

As for it being obsolete - there's no question it was the last of its kind, design-wise. But it was built to be a multi-purpose, domed stadium and Camden Yards was built to be an open-air baseball stadium. So, pointing this out in 2022 is a bit like pointing out that the parachute pants you bought in 1988 aren't cool because everyone was wearing flannel shirts by 1994. We get it, already. It's a 30-year-old argument about apples and oranges.

But they're not dynamiting it and while a design can be unfashionable, it is very clearly not an obsolete building And it'll be less obsolete after the 2 years of renovations. In the meantime, to dredge up some arguments from a few pages ago, Rogers Centre currently has the 12th best average attendance in the majors (31k/game) and the Orioles have the 24th best (17k/game). So, I'm not a math expert or anything but as long as "making money for the owners" isn't obsolete, I'm pretty sure which of the 2 venues is more successful. But, yes, Camden Yards is prettier.

p.s. Camden Yards is also getting renovated. And unlike Rogers, they're getting the government to pay for it so...again, point for Rogers Centre.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Populous plans. I still don't get the disdain for this place - with the roof open it's a good place to watch a game. Far less so with the roof closed, but then most places aren't great with the roof closed.

Yeah, I agree, the disdain for this place is a bit out of whack with what I have personally experienced. I have been to 13 MLB ballparks so far and this is probably in the middle of the pack somewhere. Its location is almost unrivalled and the actual functionality of the place is pretty good. For example, I was at Fenway last Friday for that game luckily! And is it pretty to look at? yes... Do you get a romantic feeling? yes...but that is where it end really, it is a pretty shitty experience in terms of the game (from where I was anyway in the lower grandstand where tickets were $75USD by the way). You couldn't see a ball hit higher than 8 feet in the air because the roof of the stand is so low, you could barely see a scoreboard, concession stands were awkward, seats were very uncomfortable etc.

Basically, I walked out of there thinking thanks christ I don't have to come here to see my team play every home game, Rogers Centre any day of the week! But as I said, I have been to much better like SF, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore.

I was at Fenway last Friday for that game luckily! And is it pretty to look at? yes... Do you get a romantic feeling? yes...but that is where it end really, it is a pretty shitty experience in terms of the game (from where I was anyway in the lower grandstand where tickets were $75USD by the way). You couldn't see a ball hit higher than 8 feet in the air because the roof of the stand is so low, you could barely see a scoreboard, concession stands were awkward, seats were very uncomfortable etc.

Yeah, I'm going to Fenway next month, having not been there in about 20 years and I went to Wrigley when the Jays were there a few years ago.
Both places have undeniable, romantic charm but in terms of actual facilities, they don't really match up with what we have. Both are smack in the middle of neighbourhoods, which at worst matches up with our downtown location; but both are a short subway ride from downtown.

(Also, the Cubs are currently facing a federal lawsuit due to the allegation that a recent renovation there violates the Americans with Disabilities Act. So, the "Friendly Confines" aren't friendly for everyone, no matter how much better they do than Rogers Centre on some survey.)

Also, for all the complaining about food/beer prices at Rogers Centre, my recollection is that Fenway Park had less selection for more $, though I stand to be corrected.

(It also goes without saying that if it is raining in Chicago, Boston and Toronto, only one of those places doesn't have to cancel a game and, turf and all, that ends up being another plus for Toronto.)

Yeah, I'm going to Fenway next month, having not been there in about 20 years and I went to Wrigley when the Jays were there a few years ago.
Both places have undeniable, romantic charm but in terms of actual facilities, they don't really match up with what we have. Both are smack in the middle of neighbourhoods, which at worst matches up with our downtown location; but both are a short subway ride from downtown.

(Also, the Cubs are currently facing a federal lawsuit due to the allegation that a recent renovation there violates the Americans with Disabilities Act. So, the "Friendly Confines" aren't friendly for everyone, no matter how much better they do than Rogers Centre on some survey.)

Also, for all the complaining about food/beer prices at Rogers Centre, my recollection is that Fenway Park had less selection for more $, though I stand to be corrected.

(It also goes without saying that if it is raining in Chicago, Boston and Toronto, only one of those places doesn't have to cancel a game and, turf and all, that ends up being another plus for Toronto.)
oh boy, I tried to wipe the memory of the drink prices out of my mind from Boston generally but from what I remember I was getting given small bud light cans and they seemed to be about the same price as the regular one taking exchange rates into account

I wonder if there's anything they can do to the exterior to make it less 'bunker' like.

Renderings are apparently being released at 1:30pm today.

FYxRGmyXgAU4joX.jpg

Not bad. So what are the obvious changes?
Bullpens moved to the corner and CF seats brought down to wall height.
The bullpens are also elevated, it looks like? Like the view from RF shows it right at fan level.
Several new decks/patios out in right field.
The facing appears to be painted baby blue (nice).
There's some assymetry in the walls.
I can't quite tell what's going up on 500 level (family areas)?

Overall, roughly what I expected but seems like a good start. I look forward to hearing the details, still.

Not bad. So what are the obvious changes?
Bullpens moved to the corner and CF seats brought down to wall height.
The bullpens are also elevated, it looks like? Like the view from RF shows it right at fan level.
Several new decks/patios out in right field.
The facing appears to be painted baby blue (nice).
There's some assymetry in the walls.
I can't quite tell what's going up on 500 level (family areas)?

Overall, roughly what I expected but seems like a good start. I look forward to hearing the details, still.
Raised bullpen and seats right beside them

Loge seating on the 500 OF

Lots of more standing room areas

Not enough detail yet on the 100 seats

No gimmicky field asymmetry

Looking decent so far

Back