Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

ironically, i just read some clickbaity forbes baseball stadium list and Toronto was like #19 or #20 or something. it blew mind that they ranked it higher than ballparks other than Oakland and Tampa Bay (always in last).

But yea, maybe i'm in the minority here but the last thing i want is theatrics. I cringe when I watch a Portland Timbers match on tv and they saw a log whenever there's a goal, or that silly HR monument in Miami that they finally removed. Half Time Shows and mid game concerts, no thank you. Just give me an exciting ballgame to watch, a seventh inning stretch, some lighting, and i'm good to go.

That Chicago image looks terrible but there's a lot of factors at play here. it's a day game while school is still in session. it was a rescheduled game. it's 39 degrees outside. They will forever be Chicago's "other baseball team". Their location in the south side is not that desirable.

Not to mention, you can't say "look at Progressive Field, it's an outdoor retro park and the attendance is low", because there are other factors involved. For one, not nearly the market the Jays have. They're not even the only team in that state, never mind the area. People come from 3/4 hours up north to watch a Jays game. Also, that stadium opened in 1994 and had strong attendance for over a decade. The team was also winning back so it's hard to say how much of it was the stadium, and how much of it was the winning.

BUT most importantly....

Maybe Chicago is missing theatrics? You need to be outside, have a good team, and have some theatrics!!! You have to be all in.

But moving the stadium away from the business district and from the cities largest transportation hub that allows other sports teams to flourish is not a big deal to baseball fans. Open air and Theatrics for the win!!!!

Chicago isn't just missing theatrics, it's also missing the Richard White special: tailgating. I mean, they actually do tailgate, but they don't tailgate the right way. You need proper, full-fledged theatrics. Due to the lack of theatrics, attendance therefore drops approximately 15%

1651173566828.png

Not to mention, you can't say "look at Progressive Field, it's an outdoor retro park and the attendance is low", because there are other factors involved. For one, not nearly the market the Jays have. They're not even the only team in that state, never mind the area. People come from 3/4 hours up north to watch a Jays game. Also, that stadium opened in 1994 and had strong attendance for over a decade. The team was also winning back so it's hard to say how much of it was the stadium, and how much of it was the winning.
There certainly is a honeymoon phase for new facilities when it comes to attendance. Keep in mind, the Rangers, even after recently moving into their brand spankin' new, state-of-the-art, Costco dome, and signing a number of high-priced free agents this off-season, had an announced attendance last night of *checks notes* 20,399 (!!!)

Not enough theatrics.

Chicago isn't just missing theatrics, it's also missing the Richard White special: tailgating. I mean, they actually do tailgate, but they don't tailgate the right way. You need proper, full-fledged theatrics. Due to the lack of theatrics, attendance therefore drops approximately 15%

View attachment 396496

There certainly is a honeymoon phase for new facilities when it comes to attendance. Keep in mind, the Rangers, even after recently moving into their brand spankin' new, state-of-the-art, Costco dome, and signing a number of high-priced free agents this off-season, had an announced attendance last night of *checks notes* 20,399 (!!!)

Not enough theatrics.

It's kind of been been repeated that both Texas and Miami really botched their new parks. Especially in the Rangers case. Their old field was better then the new one. The only issue with Texas old park was it got to hot. They could have done what both Houston or Seattle did and got a roof. Nobody knows what the Rangers were thinking.

Last edited:
Toronto is pushing for the 2027 All-Star game, shortly after the renovations are done to the dome.

Supposedly, season ticket holders in sections above the Blue Jays bullpen have been informed that the seats will not be available next year due to the renovations. Very interested to see if this will address that gap between the outfield wall and the outfield seats.

Toronto is pushing for the 2027 All-Star game, shortly after the renovations are done to the dome.

Supposedly, season ticket holders in sections above the Blue Jays bullpen have been informed that the seats will not be available next year due to the renovations. Very interested to see if this will address that gap between the outfield wall and the outfield seats.

I would laugh if MLB denied us the game because of something relating to an aging stadium.

The article also mentions stacked bullpens and possibly a asymmetric fence too. Shapiro actually did these type of renovations in Cleveland:

1658354378582.png

Isn't the gap simply the batter's eye?
He means the vertical gap between where the 100 level hangs over/behind the bullpens. It's valuable dead space I'm sure they will reuse. You can do a lot, especially if you want to be asymmetrical, to bring the seats right down to the walls (like the Crawford Boxes in Houston).
1658374961859.png
1658374908982.png
1658375114291.png

The more I think about it, if the whole lower bowl is getting gutted, I think it can make a huge difference.

Last edited:
He means the vertical gap between where the 100 level hangs over/behind the bullpens. It's valuable dead space I'm sure they will reuse. You can do a lot, especially if you want to be asymmetrical, to bring the seats right down to the walls (like the Crawford Boxes in Houston)View attachment 414988

The more I think about it, if the whole lower bowl is getting gutted, I think it can make a huge difference.
I totally agree with you. When the prospect of a new stadium (or massive reno) got pushed back another decade or so I was pretty disappointed. But I have to say, adding a full dirt infield, vastly improving the fake turf, and adding a new lighting system has made a huge improvement to the aesthetics of the place. Now to mention removing Windows restaurant.

We've come along way from when it looked like this:
Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 6.33.11 PM.png
83348372.kvRZDnNg.jpg

to now:
Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 6.35.33 PM.png

Bringing the outfield seats right to the fence, elevating the bullpens, and changing up the symmetrical design of the outfield could really do wonders.

Wonder if they'll change the color of the seats? I know when U.S Cellular Field renovated, they changed the seats from blue to green.

I totally agree with you. When the prospect of a new stadium (or massive reno) got pushed back another decade or so I was pretty disappointed. But I have to say, adding a full dirt infield, vastly improving the fake turf, and adding a new lighting system has made a huge improvement to the aesthetics of the place. Now to mention removing Windows restaurant.

We've come along way from when it looked like this:
View attachment 415104View attachment 415105

to now:
View attachment 415106

Bringing the outfield seats right to the fence, elevating the bullpens, and changing up the symmetrical design of the outfield could really do wonders.

I have to agree. I still think it's one of the worst stadiums in baseball, but not by leaps and bounds like it used to me. Really my biggest beef with the stadium at this point is how high the walls are and how enclosed you feel even when the roof is open. You just don't feel like your in a actual baseball stadium.

Again, as you said, it come a long way to the point where I don't cringe watching a jays game, especially when we have a big crowd. The place is awesome when it's 40G's plus.

Switching to a darker, richer blue like the seats at Petco Park in San Diego or even Nationals Park in Washington would be one of the better ways to make the "blue look" of the dome completely refreshed and modernized.

I definitely would want to see the blue facia that runs along each level replaced to help accent the potential new seating - currently it feels like an overkill on the blue.

Switching to a darker, richer blue like the seats at Petco Park in San Diego or even Nationals Park in Washington would be one of the better ways to make the "blue look" of the dome completely refreshed and modernized.

I definitely would want to see the blue facia that runs along each level replaced to help accent the potential new seating - currently it feels like an overkill on the blue.
Well personally I wish they would replace the seats just to give everyone more room. I’d much rather a little more width and the stadium only fit 40k then 50k because realistically 90% of the time we are at the 25k mark Not only would it be more comfortable it would make the stadium feel more full.

Back