Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I would go as far to say Arizona's Chase Field can be grouped in that list. Yes, it's baseball-specific, but just looks so industrial and lacks any sense of identity.

Came here to make a similar point, which is "newer does not necessarilly mean better", with the Rangers' new USD $1.2 billion shed being the ultimate case in point.

1648238646561.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 4.01.40 PM.png

Texas' new stadium is also a good counter to the "Americans don't care about climate control" thing, in that it joins Houston, Milwaukee, Miami, Arizona, Seattle as modern era ballparks that have retractible roofs (in addition to NFL teams including the Falcons, Cowboys, Colts, Texans, and Cardinals).

Attachments

• 1648238427099.png
    1648238427099.png
    456.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 4.01.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 4.01.40 PM.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 71
Came here to make a similar point, which is "newer does not necessarilly mean better", with the Rangers' new USD $1.2 billion shed being the ultimate case in point.

View attachment 387855
View attachment 387856

Texas' new stadium is also a good counter to the "Americans don't care about climate control" thing, in that it joins Houston, Milwaukee, Miami, Arizona, Seattle as modern era ballparks that have retractible roofs (in addition to NFL teams including the Falcons, Cowboys, Colts, Texans, and Cardinals).
Agreed, Texas' new ball park is absolute garbage and their "old" ballpark looks much, much better. Dont know what they were thinking, but they like to do everything "big" in Texas.

Been twice to new yankee stadium and thought it was a bore. But I also thought old yankee stadium was a better exhibition stadium.

I love the location of Rogers centre. If there’s a way to make it work they should do their best to make it work.

My guess is there is a ton of work going on now just because it's not public does not mean nothing happening.

This....

The problem with the Port Lands is it doesn't offer a particularly nice backdrop. The batter's box would be facing the Gardiner.
Not that a nice backdrop isn’t preferable but people act like when they go to the game they prefer to watch the city skyline than the game. I’ve been to many fields where yes I take in the view for all of five minutes then watch the game. I don’t particularly remember anything great about the yankee view. Cleveland has a nice view.

Didn’t BMO field get rid of their city view in favour of extra seats?

All I’m saying is a nice view isn’t going to magically increase attendance if people find the sport boring or the team itself isn’t competitive.

Not that a nice backdrop isn’t preferable but people act like when they go to the game they prefer to watch the city skyline than the game. I’ve been to many fields where yes I take in the view for all of five minutes then watch the game. I don’t particularly remember anything great about the yankee view. Cleveland has a nice view...
I don't think most of the fans and people involved in sports are architecture critics, or that the view of the city and backdrop would be much of a concern for a potential a new venue.
The idea some have repeated in this thread of a new stadium where the Island Airport is located might not go over too well with 40,000 spectators if they had to line up for a ferry to get there and back. And I'm guessing if the players and team personnel were asked, rather than building a stadium there, they might prefer it to stay an airport if they were eventually able to use it to get in and out of the city more quickly than by using Pearson.
Cleveland formerly had an IndyCar race that used Burke Lakefront Airport, and actually did provide an interesting looking backdrop when seen on TV. And I assume it probably also avoided closing roads in the way Toronto's race does with Lake Shore Blvd, not to mention spectators could see all of the track without buildings and trees in the way.

Last edited:
I don't think most of the fans and people involved in sports are architecture critics, or that the view of the city and backdrop would be much of a concern for a potential a new venue.
The idea some have repeated in this thread of a new stadium where the Island Airport is located might not go over too well with 40,000 spectators if they had to line up for a ferry to get there and back. And I'm guessing if the players and team personnel were asked, rather than building a stadium there, they might prefer it to stay an airport if they were eventually able to use it to get in and out of the city more quickly than by using Pearson.
Cleveland formerly had an IndyCar race that used Burke Lakefront Airport, and actually did provide an interesting looking backdrop when seen on TV. And I assume it probably also avoided closing roads in the way Toronto's race does with Lake Shore Blvd, not to mention spectators could see all of the track without buildings and trees in the way.
I must have missed the island as a possible stadium location. Surely access to mass transit would be a top priority. I don’t love the dome but its location is undefeated. I hate visiting New York and having to go to queens or the Bronx to watch baseball or to New Jersey to watch football.

The idea some have repeated in this thread of a new stadium where the Island Airport is located might not go over too well with 40,000 spectators if they had to line up for a ferry to get there and back.

Well, there's still the tunnel. How about a bridge? I don't know if the one that is across from PNC was already there when the stadium was built, but it plays a nice part in the surrounding area.

33e9e01d0b0fc49a44addc849533f6f8.jpg

I don't think there was any official talk, just an idea myself and a few others had. Here's a totally awesome render I made. 😉

QP1fkwi.jpg
as good as this looks, nothing is going to change the fact that being as close to the core for transit and for office people to walk to will and should be the priority.. If you want a view take a trip up the CN Tower or buy a penthouse. Thats what both of those things are for... Going to a baseball game is going to watch a sport.

Back