Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

anything is possible with money though. Look at what the Angels Stadium looked like in years past compared to what it looks like now. it's a completely different place and you'd never know it was once a multipurpose piece of junk.
What's important to remember with Angel Stadium is that is was built as a baseball stadium first, then became multipurpose when the Rams moved in in 1980 - a much easier fix than the issues that would come up if a retrofit (which from what I know remains near the bottom of the list) were to hypothetically happen at the dome.

As was said hundreds if not thousands of times in this thread.. you cannot renovate the stadium and expect it all to work out. There are too many problems with the stadium to the point where it is barely up to MLB standards.

A renovation will only paper over the problems, not fix them. In order for this to work it needs to be a complete teardown.
I agree a renovation will not fix all the issues that Rogers Centre has.To even attempt a renovation to fix the issues that it does have it would cost more then a new stadium would cost.

For starters, don't take what Bo said at face value. What's he going to say? "The Rogers Centre? It's a piece of shit and I hate playing there"

Plus, anything will seem like a step up from having to play in Tampa or Buffalo for the past two seasons.

If that's the primary reason to tear it down then we absolutely shouldn't.

None of the reasons you've cited would impact television ratings.

Interestingly, here's what Bo Bichette things of the Rogers Centre:

"And let me get this out of the way up front: I know some people around the league might not like our park. They might think it doesn’t “hold up” compared to other parks.

Nah.

The Rogers Centre? It’s sick. For real.

Is it perfect? I don’t know — who cares.

You either get it or you don’t.

For me, it’s got this feeling when I’m there that’s just … it’s hard to explain. It’s just special. You’ve got the CN Tower up above you … the hotel out in centerfield. It just feels BIG. It’s big-time. I walk out on the field there, and it’s like, Yeah … it’s about to go down."
Agree, it’s an exiting structure to be in and always will be. It needs a cosmetic overhaul by a top tier architecture studio. As with most things in life it does not check off all the boxes for baseball but what it does have makes it unique.The Rogers Center was a world class stadium when it was built (cannot be compared to the mediocre multi purpose stadia of its era). The danger is that they would demolish a great Toronto landmark and replace it with a bare bones BMO Field caliber baseball stadium. Should not be demolished unless something of the same ambition or greater is built in its place.

are you a baseball fan? and if so, have you been to other ballparks?

Rogers Centre is miserable by comparison. your question 1 makes me think you haven't been anywhere. At all ballparks, the seats are oriented towards home plate. At the Dome, they're just facing forward to the field so when you're sitting along the first base line for example, you're looking straight into the outfield and need to turn your head to look at the place.

It's far too big and because it's a cookie cutter multi-purpose stadium from that era (with a lid), the sightlines are poor and distant. The highest seat in all of PNC Park is 88feet above the playing surface.

I think it needs to be torn down but if they're going to go with the reno route, it'll need extensive renos to open it up. i think they should rip out the hotel, rip out the 300,400,500 level seating out there and put up a glass wall to let in the light, but then the roof needs to sit on something so it's not as easy as it seems.

anything is possible with money though. Look at what the Angels Stadium looked like in years past compared to what it looks like now. it's a completely different place and you'd never know it was once a multipurpose piece of junk.

Angels Stadium Now

Angels Stadium Old

Yes, but I'm also a taxpayer with an interest in history.

I get it - the Rogers Centre isn't perfect. There are ballparks with a better game watching experience, no doubt about that.

However, I've never found the experience at Rogers Centre to be bad with the roof open on a nice day. There isn't any kind of skyline view, but to be honest I don't really care when I'm focused on the game. It's a pleasant experience. I can guarantee you, when it opened no one was saying it was already outdated or pining for games at Exhibition Stadium.

That it can be used for other purposes is a plus, IMO.

It's also, for better or worse, a groundbreaking structure and the first of its kind. We are far too eager in Toronto to dispose of our history. Given its relatively young age and the fact it's in good working condition, I see no reason to get rid of it. That would be a complete waste.

Your renovation ideas are good ones.

Agree, it’s an exiting structure to be in and always will be. It needs a cosmetic overhaul by a top tier architecture studio. As with most things in life it does not check off all the boxes for baseball but what it does have makes it unique.The Rogers Center was a world class stadium when it was built (cannot be compared to the mediocre multi purpose stadia of its era). The danger is that they would demolish a great Toronto landmark and replace it with a bare bones BMO Field caliber baseball stadium. Should not be demolished unless something of the same ambition or greater is built in its place.

Exciting structure? World Class Stadium?

Honestly, the stadium is nothing more than a prime example of brutalist architecture. It needs more than a cosmetic overhaul by a top tier architect to make it better. You need to keep in mind that the MLB has standards for stadiums that every team needs to meet and a cosmetic overhaul is not going to cut it.

All the stadiums of that era have been replaced. Even Yankee Stadium was rebuilt!

For starters, don't take what Bo said at face value. What's he going to say? "The Rogers Centre? It's a piece of shit and I hate playing there". I'm telling you players don't like it.
He didn't have to say anything. The quote was taken from an article he wrote.

Secondly, do you work at Rogers or something??? Because the people at Rogers think the t.v product will look better so I'm not sure where you getting your info.

Do you work at Rogers? How do you know the people at Rogers think they'll have a better TV product with a new stadium?

Television numbers and attendance demonstrate the Rogers Centre is not a determining factor for success in these areas

You've made some interesting claims that haven't come close to being substantiated.

I'm sorry you feel these aren't good reasons to build a new stadium, but you're of the strong minority that feel this way. Toronto is a world class city, that is in need of a world class baseball facility to stick with the times.

Not this outdated pile of crap that sits in the downtown core that players don't like.

That's exactly what the SkyDome was when it opened just 30 years ago.

Tearing things down to 'stick with the times' is a big part of the reason Toronto has such a spotty architectural heritage.

Exciting structure? World Class Stadium?

Honestly, the stadium is nothing more than a prime example of brutalist architecture. It needs more than a cosmetic overhaul by a top tier architect to make it better. You need to keep in mind that the MLB has standards for stadiums that every team needs to meet and a cosmetic overhaul is not going to cut it.

All the stadiums of that era have been replaced. Even Yankee Stadium was rebuilt!

The original Yankee Stadium was closed after 85 years, which included one major overhaul.

It's not from the same era as SkyDome.

I’m loving this thread. It’s as heated as the Scarborough subway extension thread. World class cities need new ball pros because baseball is thriving and subways to the suburbs.

Key being "was". And has been noted, was quickly obsolete when fans realized they prefered more intimate, classic ballparks.

I get not wanting to tear down a landmark, but you seem to be saying "well, it's good enough". That's kind of faint praise.

Key being "was". And has been noted, was quickly obsolete when fans realized they prefered more intimate, classic ballparks.

I get not wanting to tear down a landmark, but you seem to be saying "well, it's good enough". That's kind of faint praise.
I’m not sure why the Rogers Centre can even be considered a landmark it has been trash BUILDING in the last 10 to 15 years if not longer. There is nothing redeeming about Rogers Centre . The only thing that is good about Rogers Centre is the location, nothing else is good about it.

Do you work at Rogers? How do you know the people at Rogers think they'll have a better TV product with a new stadium?

Television numbers and attendance demonstrate the Rogers Centre is not a determining factor for success in these areas

You've made some interesting claims that haven't come close to being substantiated.

Tearing things down to 'stick with the times' is a big part of the reason Toronto has such a spotty architectural heritage.

Because that's one of the reasons they're kicking tires about a new stadium...lol.

As per Bo's comment, of course he didn't have to say anything, but he's trying to be the all good guy and promote his brand.

The reality is, most players hate the Skydome, so it's always questionable when a home player says "Yeah, it's a great place to play".

Anyway, I'm not going to keep going back and forth. For whatever reason, you seem to be of the minority of people that thinks it's fine, and there is a market that do think that way. Look at this thread alone, and the amount of people that are agreeing with and disagreeing with you. That right there should tell you why a new stadium has to be done.

Most of us want a ballpark where people from other cities get jealous of, and players want to play in. A ballpark that's not rated as one of the worst in baseball.

There's a reason this discussion is going on, and it's not because most people like the stadium that resembles and egg in the DT core is good enough, it's the opposite.

I’m not sure why the Rogers Centre can even be considered a landmark it has been trash BUILDING in the last 10 to 15 years if not longer. There is nothing redeeming about Rogers Centre . The only thing that is good about Rogers Centre is the location, nothing else is good about it.

This.

Over 3 million fans in both 2016 and 2017 didn't seem to have a problem.

How could the Jays lead the league in attendance in both of those years when people are so turned off by the stadium?!

This dude who's now a writer for the globe and mail in the financial column, used to work for Brookfield so I'm sure he's got the inside track

Back