Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Seems like covid has Rogers hands tied when it comes to what is to be done with the stadium. 🙁

As far as photos of the renovation, there was this photo, posted at Bluebird Banter, about two years ago

Rogers_Centre_on_November_16_2019.0.jpg

I believe some seats were removed, so you can see more of the concourse.

Good thing that they aren't demolishing it, that would be tragic but not out of the realm of possibility.

Any new stadium will likely be built elsewhere. I think the current spot is too small to support a sliding roof stadium, for example.

I acknowledge that the Rogers Centre was (is) architecturally impressive. But is it a good baseball stadium? I think at best most would say it's adequate. It serves its purpose, but as a baseball stadium (its primary purpose), it leaves a lot to be desired.

You might feel a retro-style open air stadium is a "step backwards", but that's only if you're viewing things in terms of architecture, and not in terms of what fans actually want. And what do they typically want? Smaller, intimate stadiums, with real grass, and a feeling of going to a ballpark. All of the things the Rogers Centre lacks. There is a reason stadiums like the Rogers Centre stopped being built after Camden Yards opened.

PNC Park, Oracle Park, and Coors Field might not be the technical marvel the Rogers Centre is, but they are vastly superior baseball stadiums, and are usually rated high in terms of fan experience.

pnc_park_view-56a731905f9b58b7d0e7cb39.jpg

RGB-Ventures-LLC-dba-SuperStock-Alamy_1.jpg

Coors-Field-Flickr-Max-and-Dee-Bernt-2.jpg

The Rogers Centre is more modern, but paradoxically, that makes it feel more outdated.

The newer batch of stadiums with roofs aren't great, I'll admit. But they still feel more right for baseball than the Rogers Centre does. And that's only if we actually still want a domed stadium.

This render might be rough, but tell me a stadium with unobstructed views of the city's skyline, and boats and people in kayaks hoping to catch a home run ball hit into the water, wouldn't be awesome.

crxu2zW.jpg

I'm a new member so I'm a bit late on this, but that rendering is incredible.

Also, it's not just what the fans want, the players also prefer these stadiums.

I'm a new member so I'm a bit late on this, but that rendering is incredible.

Also, it's not just what the fans want, the players also prefer these stadiums.

Thanks! I only wish I could have made the angle more accurate, but I was just placing an existing stadium over the airport.

Q: Is the Bremner line still being considered?

A: The Bremner line has always been identified as a longer-term potential for transit expansion. It will not be included in the 30% design for costing, which is the current scope for this project. Along the Bremner corridor there is also a new vision for the Rogers Centre and those plans are still evolving and will be something to address further down the line.

I'm assuming this is from the Waterfront Transit stuff Q&A session ... however this would be gov confirmation now of a "new vision" for Rogers Center.

I'm assuming this is from the Waterfront Transit stuff Q&A session ... however this would be gov confirmation now of a "new vision" for Rogers Center.
Regardless of the Roger Centre redevelopment, still don't need a Bremmer line period. It doesn't fit into a wide transit network and only good for a Bathurst line. It fail the smelling test for over 20 years and TTC keeps pushing it.

As for actual changes to the dome itself, new turf has been installed (and anything Roberto Alomar related has been removed - Level of Excellence, HOF banner).

Uncharacteristically optimistic me hopes this is the second last turf the dome will see.

As for actual changes to the dome itself, new turf has been installed (and anything Roberto Alomar related has been removed - Level of Excellence, HOF banner).

Uncharacteristically optimistic me hopes this is the second last turf the dome will see.

Why '"second last"? Even if we get a new stadium, your saying it would need at least one more to get it through the next 8-10 years before the new stadium?

Why '"second last"? Even if we get a new stadium, your saying it would need at least one more to get it through the next 8-10 years before the new stadium?
Basically, yes. Going back just over a decade, it looks like the Jays replace the turf about every 5 seasons.

Some other key features are mentioned in this article, mentioning an improved sound system and the new turf being affixed to the ground.

And if I'm not mistaken, I believe the roof is already open for tonight's return.

You can start to see The Well's easternmost building peek out from behind the stadium from the inside. Had no idea it would be that visible.

You can't just rotate the field because you fee like it. Although a multi purpose stadium the building was still built to accommodate the field as is. Even with the 100 level seats rotate, you would wind up with an oval (designed for football) not a square/diamond shaped stands. Furthermore there would need to be many changes made; concrete dug out so that new pits for the pitching mound and infield dirt area, dugouts and locker room facilities relocates (and access hallways, etc), bull pens, outfields wall footings, and not to mention that the remaining outfield seats would be further away from the field than in the current configuration. The cost would begin to near the price of a fully new structure.

Any new stadium will need a roof, full stop. I know people point out other outdoor stadiums like Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and Minnesota. However I feel the biggest difference is that, despite Toronto's long baseball history, there simply isn't the culture of going to the ballpark and putting up with the weather like there is in the above noted cities. I worked for the Blue Jays years ago and you wouldn't believe how many people would say to me, on a clear sunny day in the mid teens, "oh it's cold, why won't you close the roof", you would be laughed at in any other city for saying that but in Toronto it's not the case. In places like Detroit and Chicago they have been dealing with early/late season weather for over a century now, and so culturally it's just kind of baked into the equation. Further I will note that there are some in Minnesota who have already complained about the lack of a roof at their new ballpark, and IIRC the twins have had to play some home games at other teams buildings (Milwaukee?), due to weather at their stadium.

That being said I'm encouraged by the TFC fan base and their willingness to stick it out in the weather. Sure there are fewer games (once, maybe twice a week), shorter game times, smaller crowds, less prevalent indoor soccer stadiums, etc, etc, but TFC also begins their season in March and can go into November depending on a playoff run. TFC fans just seem to know that they need to bundle up and be prepared for an outdoor event (particularly during the shoulder season in spring/late fall) more so than the blue jays fan base. If that culture could rub off on the blue jays fanbase than maybe an open air stadium could be possible.

Back