Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I do hope they go for a Portlands stadium instead of Skydome 2.0 - imagine the view of the skyline and the Harbour!

Also the boost it would give to Portlands infrastructure and development...

There seems to be a few major sports teams actually going from grass to a newer artificial turf. This includes the new stadium for the Texas Rangers which also has a retractable roof and where MLB chose to host play-off games this past Fall.

But this of course doesn't resolve other significant issues with our dome.

I'm not sure how many people here have been in the bowels of the Rogers Centre but I have. I also used to work at and watched Hockey at the Gardens.

There is so much mechanical and bunker like spaces behind and under the stands. You can't really do much with the space given the shape. You also have the mechanical on the roof.

Maple Leaf Gardens worked because it was a large, cavernous square building without a mechanical roof. Circular stadiums with vast open pockets and a mechanical roof don't work as well.

Apple made a circular structure work for office space with their new headquarters. I don't think mechanical components on the roof would be a huge impediments. Most buildings have them.

Apple made a circular structure work for office space with their new headquarters. I don't think mechanical components on the roof would be a huge impediments. Most buildings have them.

They made it work as a purpose built facility not a retrofitted one.

Mechanical components on the roof will be an issue. The roof rotates and there are the mechanical bits that make it do so. Keep in mind one of the renovations would require a new roof which isn't cheap.

Minneapolis’ weather is not much different than ours and they have a great open-air stadium.

It's great stadium but weather in April (and late March?!) has been pretty brutal for rain delays though I guess the Tigers have been fine with Comerica. I'd hope the new stadium can be a have a modern retractable roof with nice sightlines. It definitely seems doable with Miller Park being a great example.

Also, I swear the number of people lamenting replacement of the Skydome is very surprising to me. The shape and outside are iconic but have the people complaining ever seen a Jays game or a concert there? Have they ever walked up the drab concrete ramp to the 500s or through the terrible concourse areas? A fun baseball game in the sun and a little nostalgia can help overcome a lot of it's shortcomings but it is objectively bad at doing what it was built for. I haven't been to a ton of other stadium but seeing games at Comerica or PNC absolutely put into light how terrible the Dome is.

I agree this is a real-estate play first and foremost. We must remember that Rogers does not own the land - just the building - so this is a play for them to be able to develop condos on the balance of the connected land they do not own.

So my guess is nothing will happen to the Rogers Centre (other than a long drawn out renovation) and in exchange Rogers will be allowed to throw up condos on the parking lot to the south, the adjoining square to the west and will probably slap a condo tower onto the land to the south that will hang above the roof.

Nothing else makes sense.

I know this likely isn't feasible, but my ideal scenario would be to build a smaller stadium in Roundhouse Park (re-route Bremner north if needed). Then demolish the Skydome and build a new park in it's place to replace Roundhouse.

The plans to build a new stadium partially to the south (over the existing parking lot) don't make much sense as it would require the team to re-locate for probably 2-3 seasons.

I really hate the Portlands idea, there will never be good enough transit serving that space, and the team's attendance will ultimately suffer (once the new building aura wears off). If they have to go somewhere else, I would much prefer Exhibition Place somewhere. At least in the future it will have a stop on the Ontario Line, it's serviced by GO, and is still within walking distance of many people. I'm sure there are people smart enough to design a stadium that could mitigate the wind factors.

I'm not sure how many people here have been in the bowels of the Rogers Centre but I have. I also used to work at and watched Hockey at the Gardens.

There is so much mechanical and bunker like spaces behind and under the stands. You can't really do much with the space given the shape. You also have the mechanical on the roof.

Maple Leaf Gardens worked because it was a large, cavernous square building without a mechanical roof. Circular stadiums with vast open pockets and a mechanical roof don't work as well.
The stands of MLG were structural, so removing them actually was non-trivial.

I know this likely isn't feasible, but my ideal scenario would be to build a smaller stadium in Roundhouse Park (re-route Bremner north if needed). Then demolish the Skydome and build a new park in it's place to replace Roundhouse.

The plans to build a new stadium partially to the south (over the existing parking lot) don't make much sense as it would require the team to re-locate for probably 2-3 seasons.

I really hate the Portlands idea, there will never be good enough transit serving that space, and the team's attendance will ultimately suffer (once the new building aura wears off). If they have to go somewhere else, I would much prefer Exhibition Place somewhere. At least in the future it will have a stop on the Ontario Line, it's serviced by GO, and is still within walking distance of many people. I'm sure there are people smart enough to design a stadium that could mitigate the wind factors.

There's room at Echo Beach / Ontario Place waterpark (plus lots of available parking), but it would probably need to have a roof to protect from the lake winds.

The other option is at Downsview Park beside the GO/TTC Stations. That would kill off the business crowd but really appeal to the 905ers.

The reality is you're not going to get a better location than the current spot, even if they need to relocate for a season or spend a year playing at reduced capacity.

Definitely not an option. The John Street Roundhouse has various levels of heritage protections on it to the point where you cannot simply demolish it.

Well then I suppose they'll have to move for something like 3 seasons. Because that should be the only option on the table. If the Jays were to build a new park elsewhere, there's no chance the Feds would keep the Dome there. That land is so insanely valuable, they won't be able to resist.

Well then I suppose they'll have to move for something like 3 seasons. Because that should be the only option on the table. If the Jays were to build a new park elsewhere, there's no chance the Feds would keep the Dome there. That land is so insanely valuable, they won't be able to resist.

What should be the only option on the table? Moving the team?

Back