Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

How do you suggest getting 40,000 people over to the island and back 81 times a season?

Besides, the only site available on the Island isn't exactly going to be available for the foreseeable future.

Not sure why we need to think about building another baseball stadium - as recent events has demonstrated, the popularity has all to do with the performance of the team and not the stadium itself.

AoD

How do you suggest getting 40,000 people over to the island and back 81 times a season?

Lol, its not an island in the middle of the Atlantic, ..Anyways this is all water under the bridge, we cant even support Ontario Place, let alone bring back an Amusement Park back to Sunnyside Beach, or a stadium to the islands, or even an ice rink complex to the Portlands, all anyone cares here is more Condos Condos Condos:(

Not sure why we need to think about building another baseball stadium - as recent events has demonstrated, the popularity has all to do with the performance of the team and not the stadium itself.
AoD

I think fans tolerate the stadium, but don't love it. It's generally considered to be one of the worst in baseball. Yes, it's selling out now, but it's not a stadium like Fenway, which you go to just for the experience of it. I'm not saying the team needs a new stadium, but I can see why some fans would want one.

As I said in my original post, extend the 1 line south across the lake to the island.

The whole idea (stadium on the island/subway extension) is just a fantasy. I'm not being completely serious here.

Most important renovation would be to remove Ted Rogers' statue and put it by their corporate offices in Brampton

In its place have statues of:
1. Robbie Alomar with both hands up - i.e. Home Run off Dennis Eckersley
2. Joe Carter jumping - i.e. Rounding Third after his World Series Winning walk-off HR

A damn shame there's no statues recognizing them! :(

If a new stadium were to be built, the western end of Unwin Ave would be a great location that offers a beautiful skyline backdrop. Most skyline views from the Islands are pretty banal.

As I said in my original post, extend the 1 line south across the lake to the island.

The whole idea (stadium on the island/subway extension) is just a fantasy. I'm not being completely serious here.

A subway is often not enough if it's the only way to get off the island.

Try getting of Montreal island by subway after a major concert (ex. Osheaga). Takes >1 hour of lining up, where you're completely surrounded by people, no sitting, no moving. Every time a train comes the crowd shuffles forward a bit. Terrible experience.

By contrast after a game from either Rogers Center or ACC, completely sold out, everyone distributes out very effectively. The street system allows crowds to distribute out and people take various methods, GO train, subway, streetcars, buses, cars, walking, or go to bars/restaurants after. I've never had a problem getting on the subway at Union after waiting 5-10 min after a game was over.

I think fans tolerate the stadium, but don't love it. It's generally considered to be one of the worst in baseball. Yes, it's selling out now, but it's not a stadium like Fenway, which you go to just for the experience of it. I'm not saying the team needs a new stadium, but I can see why some fans would want one.
They have built a lot of stadiums that look nice 'cute' but as a baseball fan I know it will be comfortable to watch a game and no rain outs which is more important to me.

I’ve been following this site for a long time now, and decided that I wanted to give my own opinion of what I would like to see done, changed, added or dreamed about when renovating the Rogers Centre. With Mark Shapiro overseeing the eventual budgeted changes that will be coming up in the near future, I’m anxious to see the direction that he will take the stadium? Considering that we will likely never see an new stadium in Toronto, here is a list of changes both achievable and probably not in the budget that I would love to see.

· Natural grass field – pretty self explanatory and pretty much the one thing that everyone can agree upon. Hopefully a new dirt infield is a definite next year?

· Different colored seats, (preferably dark green or dark blue like Yankee stadium. Please do away with the 1980’s seat colours. I have been wishing since the mid 90’s that they would tone down that bright blue that is literally everywhere in the stadium. I heard Jerry Howarth on the radio not long ago wishing they would change over the seats to the green you see in many of the stadiums today. I know some people are going to say they love the blue seats and that it fits our uniform colours, however no team in baseball has built a stadium and designed it after the colour of their uniforms or brand. New stadiums are designed based solely on the nostalgia of baseball and the open air simpler designs.

· More outside exposure - Probably impossible but I really wish they could tear out some of the 5th deck or hotel and open it up to the city somehow. Probably an enormous amount of money to do so and would likely never see the light of day

· Change the name the stadium name – I realize with Rogers owning the stadium, it will never be named the Skydome again. I would however love to see them name it Rogers Field as opposed to Centre.

Open the roof unless it’s rain or snow, I know one of the retrofits to the stadium is to upgrade the computer system and motor systems so the roof will open and close faster than it does now and will hopefully be able to open in cooler weather.

· More group areas similar to the West Jet Flight deck incorporated in the stadium. I know the Hard Rock will be retrofitted to this soon. The stadium is so sterile and uniformed looking. Aside from the first ever retractable roof, the stadium literally has nothing unique about it. The powers that be need to expand their ideas, visions and really think outside the box.

· The Outside - Wow where to begin? Honour our baseball history - This could include a plaque commemorating Babe Ruth’s first professional homerun, a timeline of the Blue Jays history, statues (Robbie Alomar is already being discussed). Obviously a better outside facade preferably brick, way to much glass already in the downtown, stylish brick walkways, old style gated entrances similar to this. This building needs some old school personalty.

Many things that people love about the nostalgic looking baseball stadiums are likely never going to happen at a multipurpose facility. However below is an image I’ve reworked to show the stadium with green seats and brick work incorporated into the hotel. This is absolutely attainable, just not sure if Rogers even has the stomach to completely overhaul the look and feel of the Rogers Centre?

New Rogers Field.jpeg

Attachments

• New Rogers Field.jpeg
    New Rogers Field.jpeg
    830.2 KB · Views: 9,673

Back