Toronto Riverside Square | 64.6m | 20s | Streetcar | RAW Design

UC is definitely not better. Perhaps they are equally as bad. There's just a nicer feel and look to Streetcar's common areas: i.e. some thought goes into design and how they are maintained and the lifespan of materials, like carpet.

Would love to see some history brought back, with a building name or park named after Toronto's first baseball stadium at the site - Sunlight Park

2011712-sunlight-park-1183.jpg

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/07/what_sports_stadiums_used_to_look_like_in_toronto/

@ TheKingEast

Maybe I lucked out, but I read the comments you mentioned, and although I concur with the sentiment that the counters were almost non-existing, and the sliding bedroom door is less than ideal for privacy when you have people crashing in your living room (sadly, both things seem to be the norm these days), stuff like "you can hear your neighbour cough" is nothing like my experience at Trinity. I mean I couldn't even tell you if my neighbours around, above or below me were male or female if I hadn't met them on the elevator. I moved because I changed jobs and I wanted to live closer to work, but I miss that apartment.

Seems from the elevation that the Don Roadway bits take cues from River City across the way. Promising.

I see it less as 'taking cues' than a hackneyed rip-off of a nearby building by a far superior firm. This sort of thing is far more common than you might think unfortunately.

I see it less as 'taking cues' than a hackneyed rip-off of a nearby building by a far superior firm. This sort of thing is far more common than you might think unfortunately.

Would something dull like what you see on the Queen side of this development be more appropriate then? Is it not better to have tried and failed [to do something interesting] than to have not done anything at all?

ETA: I think it's too early to tell how good the west side will be since we've just seen line drawings, but I appreciate the effort and think it could turn out to be a signature part of the project, and a positive addition to that side of the Don, regardless of whether it's a rip-off or not.

Last edited:
Site plans are up on the development tracker -- it looks like the first phase will include a car dealership and servicing as the ground floor retail - perhaps consolidating all of the Downtown Automotive Group properties into one location - the Nissan and Infiniti in Corktown, the new Downtown Hyundai on Broadview/Eastern, and the existing Toyota dealership.

The second phase includes the grocery store and a daycare. The grocery store in the second phase isn't that large - about 17,500 sq. ft.

BuiurvhCYAA6coV.png:large

Site plans are up on the development tracker -- it looks like the first phase will include a car dealership and servicing as the ground floor retail - perhaps consolidating all of the Downtown Automotive Group properties into one location - the Nissan and Infiniti in Corktown, the new Downtown Hyundai on Broadview/Eastern, and the existing Toyota dealership.

The second phase includes the grocery store and a daycare. The grocery store in the second phase isn't that large - about 17,500 sq. ft.

You would be correct in this assumption

It's a little alarming that Streetcar is master planning a community. I mean, if I could think of a builder that pays the least amount of attention to detail to their buildings (inside and out) it's them. Not to mention the number of quality/workmanship issues that I keep hearing over and over again. I shutter at the thought of them being behind an entire community. I hope and pray they get their act together with this one but I doubt it.

What's alarming is your selective memory. As I've said before, they did a good job with the Trinity Lofts, where I lived, and I've heard mostly good things about their buildings from actual residents, as opposed to the forum trolls and angry neighbours that you've quoted before (the realtor seemed a bit more credible, I'll give you that). They design good mid-rise buildings that integrate well in their neighbourhoods, often infill. Seriously, what do you have against Streetcar that you can't waste any opportunity to badmouth them, even about projects that haven't even been built?

What's alarming is your selective memory. As I've said before, they did a good job with the Trinity Lofts, where I lived, and I've heard mostly good things about their buildings from actual residents, as opposed to the forum trolls and angry neighbours that you've quoted before (the realtor seemed a bit more credible, I'll give you that). They design good mid-rise buildings that integrate well in their neighbourhoods, often infill. Seriously, what do you have against Streetcar that you can't waste any opportunity to badmouth them, even about projects that haven't even been built?

You act as if my criticisms are from out of left field. Read up on my past posts. I'm critical of many developers. Not just Streetcar. Attention to detail, quality of materials and such are not commonplace in their projects. They're a smaller builder that's masterplanning an entire community. Something they haven't done before. So yea...I'm going to have some concerns.

You wouldn't be concerned about an entire community of this?

urbantoronto-7327-25061.jpg

20121206160041.jpg

2d2ec7_737f.jpg

I live in the area and walk by many of these buildings several times a week and marvel at how unfinished they look.

Last edited:
If you look at the quality of Streetcar's buildings in Corktown, it looks pretty bad. It looks still under construction because there are so many defects. I'm surprised buyers would accept that but I guess they do. I'd be very concerned about buying a condo from them. Check the buildings on King East, before you buy and see if the quality is acceptable to you. It's not even close to acceptable for me.

If you look at the quality of Streetcar's buildings in Corktown, it looks pretty bad. It looks still under construction because there are so many defects. I'm surprised buyers would accept that but I guess they do. I'd be very concerned about buying a condo from them. Check the buildings on King East, before you buy and see if the quality is acceptable to you. It's not even close to acceptable for me.

Yes, I also walk past Streetcar buildings and see many things that SHOULD have been better (and probably at only a small extra cost.) Not major things but far too many small ones. (Both in design and in execution.)

Back