Toronto River City Condos Phases 1 & 2 | ?m | 16s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

Panelists suggested the side walls of the parking garage be somewhat transparent for safety reasons.

Transparent parking garage for safety? There are numerous above ground parking garages which are completely open that do not seem safe and many underground ones which seem completely safe. I don't see how garage cladding will determine the safety of a parking structure.

We'll see how this pans out but there is just something in the massing of that map masterplan that smacks to me of repeating the mistakes of the past. I've expressed my criticism of masterplanning before but just compare the development plots with the rather modest density of the existing structures in the top left quadrant of that map. Brilliant architecture or no, the new development will be dominated by massive wide right-of-ways and homogeneous visually uninteresting blocks.

Tricky:

Actually the buildings in the scheme are mostly similiar in scale and arrangement as those in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood - for example, the NE block that you mentioned are basically 10s apartment buildings along King, with townhouses type structures immediately south.

AoD

I wonder how much of this plan will be affected by the removal of (part of) the Gardiner, with the potential that the Richmond and Adelaide ramps to/from the DVP are widened. If the road easements are not wide enough to accomodate the extra lanes, some of the land on either side might need to be expropriated. I guess it will be determined during the site plan/ draft plan of subdivision negotiations.

The ramp to and from Richmond/Adelaide to Eastern are already twinned. AFAIK, it's the DVP ramps thjat are to be expanded on th other side of the river

very informative presentation.

thanks for the link.

Wow very informative indeed! Toronto is really going to be a changed city when all is said and done with the waterfront.

Thanks for the link. I like how they show what harbourfront will look like (in probably 10 years). All the bridges and waterpaths are constructed and snake along the edge.

Thanks for the link. I like how they show what harbourfront will look like (in probably 10 years). All the bridges and waterpaths are constructed and snake along the edge.

In probably 10? More like hopefully within 20. :S

Back