Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

^... It would add quite a bit to development costs if it were made on a man made island... But I do agree with you... along the waterfront will be more suitable and attractive. Queens Quay East remains largely under developed and it is the next waterfront development area... If they can work something out with the TTC to extend the street car line sooner, it may be a good alternative. Another good option is the parking lot on Queens Quay West, beside Maple Leaf Quay... I've been aniticipating development on that land for a while... If it becomes something like Sony Centre it will be great... Aquarium with a landmark condo on top.

Obviously an Ontario wing or gallery would be sufficient, but you guys make it seem as though species indiginous to Ontario marine environments such as Sturgeon, Salmon and Northern Pike here in the south and Beluga whales and Polar Bears up in Hudson's Bay don't make for interesting gallery possibilities.

Obviously an Ontario wing or gallery would be sufficient, but you guys make it seem as though species indiginous to Ontario marine environments such as Sturgeon, Salmon and Northern Pike here in the south and Beluga whales and Polar Bears up in Hudson's Bay don't make for interesting gallery possibilities.

Sure we do,but you need more than that to bring in the people.

The best way would be to introduce people to lesser known species in their own province. Sort of like a 'did you know we had these' wing. Furthermore, I'm not sure how many aquariums will pony up for a pair of Polar Bears.

I'd rather see a Great Lakes exhibit, than just Ontario.

Actually belugas would be a huge draw. People love those things.

CN Tower Retail Pavillion - 301 Front Street West (Canada Lands/Ripley?, 3s, B+H)

I just came across this on the Colliers International website:

Property Description:
- Flagship retail opportunity.
- Rental rate to be determined.
- Approximately 90,000 sf of retail space in a dynamic retail pavillion to be built at the base of the CN Tower.
- Opportunity for entertainment concepts, restaurants and leading destination retailers to showcase their brands.

Location Description:

- CN Tower is located just north the Gardiner Expressway, just west of Spadina Avenue.
- Close to Rogers Sports and Entertainment Complex, Air Canada Centre, Union Station, many hotels and convention centres, and numerous condominium units.
- Close to Waterfront condos, home to 25,000 upwardly mobile residents.
- 130 million vehicles travel past CN Tower on the Gardiner Expressway each year.

Construction Status: Under Construction/Proposed

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink/Profile/Profile.aspx?stid=ColliersMN_Toronto&LID=16143994&LL=true&UOMListing=&UOMMoneyCurrency=

xy_7CA893B6-384E-4EE4-9944-164DE051EE5B__.jpg

Last edited:
^ In a way I see this as a draw to the base of the tower, which is mostly windswept with a few tourists dotting the plaza... but on the other hand, I see it as a lost opportunity to design a park around the tower to form the north end of Roundhouse Park.

An HTO type park with hills, trees and benches would have worked well here as a place to contemplate our Canadian National Tower from its base.

The above proposal seems to be removing quite a bit of space away from the public plaza. Also, where is the entrance to the tower? It seems to have been diminished to tiny entrances on either side.

excellent. i've always considered this part of town to be sterile, removed, and generally ugly. the cn tower and the skydome need some facelifts. it may help urbanize the area and give a stronger relationship to the core.

this area is truly making strides. the roundhouse and its park are both getting prettied up while york street is being beautified by the new condos and office towers.

Looking at a bird's eye view of the current situation and comparing to the diagram you posted, it looks like we might get a netgain of space in the public plaza leading to the tower..

picture1vfs.png

The plaza will be shifted East and reoriented directly "South" (Toronto's streetgrid "South") rather than the current diagonal configuration. The unusable green space (unusable because it's a steep angle hill) will form the stage for this shift West and allow for the new retail pavilion flanking the reoriented plaza on both sides.

I think this could work. Let's hope the design is nice.

Last edited:
Who owns the tower now? I recall Trizec-Hahn selling it a few years back. I believe it was sold to one of the levels of government... Anybody know for sure?

excellent. i've always considered this part of town to be sterile, removed, and generally ugly. the cn tower and the skydome need some facelifts. it may help urbanize the area and give a stronger relationship to the core.

this area is truly making strides. the roundhouse and its park are both getting prettied up while york street is being beautified by the new condos and office towers.

So true.

Back