Toronto RioCan Hall | 145.2m | 42s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Very mature proposal - I'm really impressed to be honest. They're really opening up the block. Where I was expecting them to bulk the block up even further, they in fact have broken it down and made it more porous and open.

I usually gripe and bitch but I'll give RioCan credit for what appears to be a really solid first effort here.

Edit: I should add that it's great to watch HPA's work evolve - more red brick stuff from David Pontarini, please! It feels like it belongs to a mature, worldly city but also feels really true and local to Toronto.

I like it! Looks like quite a bit of office being proposed, which is great. I love that they're planning to retain the cinema use. Between this and The Well, I expect that'll mean a net increase in the number of downtown screens.

Not as bad as I had thought but I’m still going to miss the funky design of the theatre and even that long escalator even though it kept breaking down. The place really lost its polish after Scotiabank took over from Paramount and the final nail was when the Chapters closed down.

I do like that the old building that currently houses the Marshall’s and previously Circa night club is going to revert back to an entertainment space. 8 theatres is kind of a let down though. Hopefully they don’t skimp on theatre size or it’ll end up being a lower tier movie theatre that plays independent films.

Great first look. Any chance the new theatre could make more room for regular TIFF/repertory programming?

I would assume that if a chain signs a lease (Cineplex is obviously the target tenant, but there'll still have to be negotiations to get them) and the cinema goes ahead as the plans make provision for, then why would they not continue to present TIFF and HotDocs films the way that the Scotiabank Theatre has been doing for years? Cinemas are rarely very busy beyond Friday evenings, Saturdays, Sundays, and Tuesday evenings, and a filmfest will pack them out for its whole run.

If you're looking for repertory programming during the rest of the year @bilked, TIFF's just down the street!

Meanwhile @smably, as far as I know, no deal has been signed for the cinemas at The Well yet. There is provision for one, but no exhibitor signing upset (unless here's an NDA involved with that).

Yeah I’m sure the venue will be a big part of the festival itself, just wondered if it was to too much to hope for a TIFF expansion (or home for a TIFF franchise like Midnight Madness) or something along those lines, given the emphasis on “cultural amenities”. Keeping the movies here is great regardless

Why the rounded tops of the window columns? They almost seem like something from the IBI mix ‘n match book of generic styles.

Why the rounded tops of the window columns? They almost seem like something from the IBI mix ‘n match book of generic styles.

I'm not even sure I like them, but I love them because they're doing something that seems so odd in contrast to the current style.

Even if it doesn't end up on the interesting side of odd or the endearing side of clumsy, the variety of materiality and form this will bring will add tremendously to the area. And unique kind of "off" feeling designs always have the potential to become a beloved acquired taste.

Meanwhile @smably, as far as I know, no deal has been signed for the cinemas at The Well yet. There is provision for one, but no exhibitor signing upset (unless here's an NDA involved with that).
Interesting! If they don't end up signing a deal, what happens to that space? Retail with no windows and really high ceilings? Do you know how many screens are being proposed there?

TIFF has enough trouble filling the seats in its own complex when the festival is not on. It is unlikely that they will be renting out more space.

As for the proposal, it looks very dense for the land involved, but it is a 1000 times better than the Mississauga worthy mess that is there now (with apologies to Mississauga). And as already mentioned, the use of materials, textures and colours, looks great.

Love this! This goes beyond what I had hoped for. I am pleasantly surprised by the proposed corner park, retention of the theatre, the brick nod to the materiality of the area’s industrial history and the appropriate scale of the development. I personally love the brick arches which diverge from the typical squareness of Toronto builds. Wish I could’ve been there to voice my support today!

Back