Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: 85 Richmond West | 46.02m | 11s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
85 RICHMOND ST W
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

Site Plan Approval application for the renovation and enhancement of the existing building. Scope of work includes heritage restoration, re-cladding and the addition of floor area to certain portions of the building while maintaining the existing overall footprint.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 17 224564 STE 28 SA Aug 29, 2017 Under Review

viewSupportingDoc-2.jpg
viewSupportingDoc-1 2.jpg

Attachments

• viewSupportingDoc-2.jpg
    viewSupportingDoc-2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,365
  • viewSupportingDoc-1 2.jpg
    viewSupportingDoc-1 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,858
Are there any historical photos of the property? A quick glance on the Toronto Archives didn't reveal anything.

Last edited:
I have worked in this building - it has been, and will continue to be (until the current occupant moves to their new location) a very high security, restricted environment, with no general public accessibility, not even to the lobby. Which is a shame, and hopefully to be rectified in its new incarnation. The lobby has some wonderful art deco features - to me its kind of reminiscent, on a much smaller scale, to the Dominion Public Building Long Room.

The proponent re-submitted for SPA last week; mostly uninteresting updates, with the apparent exception of the cladding choice on part of it (which I am not so sure about).

upload_2018-3-14_16-12-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-14_16-12-50.png
    upload_2018-3-14_16-12-50.png
    609.4 KB · Views: 2,133
Wait, why did they not approve the lighter cladding? Seems like an odd change.

Considering where that is who's going to see it from outside beyond workers in a couple of towers to the south?

It still looks little silly. 100 years ago developers did substitute red brick for stone for facades that wouldn't be seen. This isn't a back alley though.

If you read through the revised HIS (p. 47-8), it explains why this direction was chosen. Makes sense when you hear the full story.

Still looks odd though...

Back