Toronto Residences Of College Park Condos | ?m | 51s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I believe it's 45 (south) and 51 (north) stories

I believe it's 45 (south) and 51 (north) stories

the only towers i can think of that are comparable to these are the minto towers on yonge + eg, and they are far supperior, these two buidlings(especially groud level) look like cheap amateur work......

the only towers i can think of that are comparable to these are the minto towers on yonge + eg, and they are far supperior, these two buidlings(especially groud level) look like cheap amateur work......

doesn't seem so...the ground level looks like it's made up of almost identical materials, similar texture and colour?

doesn't seem so...the ground level looks like it's made up of almost identical materials, similar texture and colour?

You are referring to Minto Midtown correct?

From Sunday August 12th

1152765606_83a1c8704b_b.jpg

Looking from the east

Here's what I saw from the east side during the past weekend.

img0321rl2.jpg

I was at my friend's place in CP1 few days ago, and looks like the inside is almost done...they were working on the decorations of one elevator. I guess they are in a hurry to match the Aug. 21 closing date...

However, I was little disappointed at the size of the gym (and the ammenities in general) for the number of units they have there....it's puny!!

That's one thing I don't understand: why does every condo development need a gym? It takes pedestrians off the street and makes them lazier. If people really want good excercise, either walk around downtown or climb those 50 flights of stairs in rocp buildings! Besides, from the evidence I've seen, gyms don't work for most people.

A fan of zero amenities (except good design that's critical and rocp fails that test miserably)

btw, I swear building 2 is working on the top floor (ventilation mechanicals) judging by the height and the infrequent use of the crane. The thing is basically topped off; another 3 months and the exterior should be finished. In some bizarre way, it's the base that looks best--the tower portion looks like a home depot version of a suburban tool shed.

callaway said:
However, I was little disappointed at the size of the gym (and the ammenities in general) for the number of units they have there....it's puny!!

Actually the gym is huge. The first phase has a theatre room and another amenities room that is temporarily being used as a gym. Once the second phase is open it will house a large gym for the use of both buildings and the old gym in phase 1 will be returned to it's originally planned uses. The amenities in this project are top notch from what I've seen.

urbandreamer said:
That's one thing I don't understand: why does every condo development need a gym? It takes pedestrians off the street and makes them lazier. If people really want good excercise, either walk around downtown or climb those 50 flights of stairs in rocp buildings! Besides, from the evidence I've seen, gyms don't work for most people.

The City of Toronto planning department has rather significant amenity space requirements for large residential developments. Builders have to put gyms, pools etc into projects whether they want to or not. In most cases amenities are an important part of the sales and marketing package that buyers are looking for when investing in a unit. Many smaller projects don't have many amenities (cost doesn't make economical sense and the City of Toronto amenity requirements are less).

^If I ever become mayor of toronto I'm firing half the city's employees! Their jobs are pointless: I shall dictate to developers that as long as the buildings are stunning and urban, anything can go up. Zero amenities and zero parking spots. Even urban planners--I wonder why the city needs them? Did urban planners "plan" the annex, queen st west etc in the late 1800's? Curious.

What an ignorant, childish statement. The world is a little more complicated than it was in the late 1800s. Hard to believe someone on this forum does not recognize the need for urban planning. I don't know where to start.

The City mandates developers to install gym's and pools in condo's? That's insane! I think it's great that more and more people are moving their butts off the couch a few days a week to take some form of exercise but the market or market trends should determine amenities in a condominium development, not the City.

I agree that some of the planning policies might not make sense to some, but they are still needed. It is impossible to satisfy everybodies concerns when attempting to write such policies. Furthermore policies from higher levels of government (eg. Places to Grow) will be instituted requiring lower-tier governments to continually update their policies. In the case of the City of Toronto, they are so understaffeed and underfunded that there are no resources to make such changes. If someone wants to build a condo with fewer parking spaces than required, then they insert that into their zoning amendments. And if no zoning amendment is required, than a minor variance can be made.

The City of Vaughan requires 1.5 spaces/unit to be built. Be thankful Toronto is not that high.

In most cases amenities are an important part of the sales and marketing package that buyers are looking for when investing in a unit.

I strongly disagree. Compared to stuff like suite layout, price, etc., the size of the party room is pretty trivial, although I do agree that its 'importance' is really played up by the sales and marketing machine. While there are occasional buyers who heavily factor amenity space into their decision, most buyers would love the option of buildings or complexes with fewer - or sometimes no - amenities. They eat up all kinds of ground floor space, preventing meaningful/successful retail from going in, they drive up maintenance fees, etc.

None of my condo-dwelling friends have ever said they regret not having retail in their buildings. I certainly enjoy visiting condos uncluttered by drecky commerce on the main floor. I was at one such place - 86 Gloucester - for a dinner party on Saturday: no concierge ( what do those people actually do anyway? ), a small lobby with an ikebana arrangement that always looks beautiful and is put together by a Japanese-trained resident, town homes at street level, a nice little garden above the parking garage at the rear of the building, and a small outdoor pool with a clutch of happy queens sitting around chatting. Maybe a gym, I don't know. Maybe a party room, I don't know, though my friends always entertain in their own home.

Back