Toronto Residences at the RCMI Condos | 134.72m | 42s | Tribute | Zeidler

Sounds like some exciting developments, but it could be years before any of them come to light. I remember last year, there was word that more office projects would be announced (like last summer) and nothing ever came from them. Hopefully these are different.

Just had a thought about Manulife. South of Queen? I'll wager they're looking at the site on the other side of the CBC where the power station is now. I don't know what it would cost to do that, but it would be perfect; and it's the only site south of Queen where a tower like that really makes sense to me.

That's my prediction.

"the southwest corner of Bay and Richmond"

Would this replace the Sterling Tower (372 Bay)? Hopefully the tower would replace the unremarkable buildings to the South (360 and 366 Bay Street).

Thanks for the updates, VofE.
Right now all I can tell you is it's a mixed use tower over 1000ft. and it's going south of Queen Street.
Interesting to hear that this is still in the works. If I had to guess, I'd go with this being located at the north-east corner of Front & Simcoe, across the street from RBC/Ritz, though I'm not sure that parcel of land is large enough to support a 1000+ footer. Perhaps it can go east of the ACC as earlier suggested by others.

With regards to the Blackstone development you've eluded to... Given the history of the City's unwillingness to allow new shadows to be cast over Nathan Phillips Square (Sapphire, Trump, Bay-Adelaide), I'll go on record and estimate that the tallest this will end up being is 770ft.

Would this replace the Sterling Tower (372 Bay)? Hopefully the tower would replace the unremarkable buildings to the South (360 and 366 Bay Street).

I would certainly hope not. The Sterling Tower is one of my Bay St favourites (along with the Northern Ontario Building). There are, however, two less distinguishable and more disposible buildings to the south, one of which has the Tim Horton's/Quizno's at street level.

That's pretty amazing info, VofE. Many thanks for keeping us up-to-date with your insider info. Just wow! Not the things you would hear about a downtown where apparently "business is fleeing the city". People often find things hard to believe and may be skeptical (and I can relate), but it wouldn't hurt to mix that skepticism with a little enthusiasm that the rumours are true!

Anyway, how much of this office boom has to do with the City commitment to reduce business property taxes over time? I seem to remember it being stated that as an incentive new developments are charged the future lower tax rate (the rate when the gradual roll-out is complete) right off the bat. Am I correct in thinking this?

As I previosly said I think it's Foster but thats just my educated guess based on the few facts I know. This project, and I honestly don't know why, is really hush hush. Right now all I can tell you is it's a mixed use tower over 1000ft. and it's going south of Queen Street.

If you're making this up you are very very cruel! I'd love to see a major Foster project in TO.

This thread gets my vote for most mindblowing .....

so we have 4 office towers underway:

-RBC
-BA West Tower
-Telus
-18 York

plus now Richmond Adelaide, Bay & Richmond, Manulife, and possibly even more?

and that's not even counting the Military Club, as that would be a condo...

so we could soon have 7 or 8 office towers underway??? :eek:

This thread gets my vote for most mindblowing .....

so we have 4 office towers underway:

-RBC
-BA West Tower
-Telus
-18 York

plus now Richmond Adelaide, Bay & Richmond, Manulife, and possibly even more?

and that's not even counting the Military Club, as that would be a condo...

so we could soon have 7 or 8 office towers underway??? :eek:

18 York isn't underway.. Unless you know something we don't;) Anyway, you left out poor 151 Front.. that tower has been too quiet as of late. If this proves correct (including the mindblowing fact that there are apparently 5-6 companies looking for such a huge amount of office space), we'd truly be living a Toronto renaissance! Anyone care on speculating which companies might be looking for this?

what I'm guessing is that some might be companies from the sub-urbs who have noticed that in order to have that extra edge you must be where all the big players are. And second I think some might be from the research sector because our governments have been offering buf incenitives to this sector of businesses. Either way if this new construction does happen then I can truly say Toronto is right on track in becoming a Global city. Maybe this is why we got so many 5 star hotels?

Back