Toronto Residences at the RCMI Condos | 134.72m | 42s | Tribute | Zeidler

V of E

Member Bio
Reaction score
The military club, which I believe is located at 426 University Ave., is planning to develop it's site and put up a mixed use or condo building. They are currently in negotiations with a short list of developers.

and the beat goes on!.........:)

/although isn't this a historic building?

The Military Club interested in redeveloping its site? Interesting, but I have a few doubts. I also think this is a historic building (it is open during Doors Open, I believe).

And right next door are the most powerful NIMBYs in the world. I doubt the American fortress will like having a major construction site, then a 50 story building next door.

From the Royal Canadian Military Institute's website:

The Earl Grey, as its patron. Earl Grey laid the cornerstone of the existing premises in 1907. Today, the heritage building is well known to the public as a ‘city landmark’ – an Edward edifice flanked distinctively by two 19th century cannons, with substantial space devoted to Museum galleries displaying exhibits drawn from the Institute’s extensive collections, and a 30,000 volume research Library whose holdings include significant collections of primary documents relating to Canada’s military history – some of which are unique, alongside a curatorial workshop and small research areas for visiting scholars.

rcmi.gif

I can't see the building being torn down or getting a facadectomy, but I wonder if the RCMI owns the land to the left (south) of the structure? Maybe a narrow condo, or something that cantilevers over the heritage building?

And right next door are the most powerful NIMBYs in the world. I doubt the American fortress will like having a major construction site, then a 50 story building next door.
Ah, but it's not next door. The University Club and the Zurich (Travellers) Tower come in between. (Yeah, I get RCMI and the Uni Club mixed up, too.)

Oh, and I assume the space to the left belongs to Zurich, i.e. classic c1970 tower-on-plaza planning (yeah, it may "wreck the streetscape", but I still hope they don't wreck the building by "urbanizing" its frontage--they've already plastered over the interior lobby bush-hammering).

As for on-site; who's to say they won't have a sliver building of sorts, perhaps condo, perhaps office (cf 425 Uni across the street). And who's to say the building won't get torn down/facadectomied, either; perhaps one might speculate whether RCMI itself (the institution, I mean) is moving away or remaining in situ.

But yes, 50 floors seems a little wild; unless they got a starchitect gesture in mind...

The Battle-Proof Condo?

once again, i'll advocate the glass box wrap around the old (leave it untouched essentially--new foundation under it though) structure with a condo cantilevered over top supported on stilts. It can be done: i've seen it on skyscrapercity in European developments. However, 50 floors here? I can see something hot modern and Euro-style in the 20 s range.

I don't think 50s is unreasonable here. the real issue is design. As long as it isn't something from the Southlands, I would hope it gets the green light.

The military club, which I believe is located at 426 University Ave., is planning to develop it's site and put up a mixed use or condo building. They are currently in negotiations with a short list of developers.

Does anybody have any actual information to back this up or is all of this speculation?

Below is a post I just made over at skyscraper.

Reply to Filip.

(1) In regard to the Military club the deal will be that the developer, the one that has the inside track I know but can't reveal at this time, will assume all the costs of development and buy the air rights to the land from the club. Of course the deal is more complex than that but thats the basic principle.

(2) Richmond Adelaide Centre - As you probably know the building is being re configured with the tower being moved further north to Richmond with the bulk of the new building going were that ugly indoor parking garage is. They had a lead tenant lined up and demolishion /construction was scheduled for the third quarter of this year. Apparentley late last year the potential lead tenant was approached by the Blackstone group out of New York and was offered lead tenant space in it's new Bay/Richmond complex as this new yet to be announced development has a Bay Street address.

Currently there is a lot of behind the scenes wheeling and dealing going on with the Bay-Sheppard-Richmond -Temerence block. Blackstone just purchased 56 Temperence St. This is the small building Stinson had an option on when he was going with his original 1,100ft. Sapphire Tower.
The Blackstone group want to maximize the height of their building at the southwest corner of Bay and Richmond and are trying to buy up as much as possible within that block to increase site density and translate it into a taller tower on the corner.

With respect to the Richmond Adelaide Centre it will be built and end up a much better development encompassing the whole block from Richmond to Adelaide. By the way there are still at least two more office developments to be announced this year that are going to be built in downtown Toronto.

In case you are wondering how all this new space is going to get rented there are currently five or six companies in Toronto or coming to Toronto looking to put their name on a 600,000 -1,000,000 sq. ft. building.

(3) Manulife Centre - I don't know why but I seemed to take a lot of flack for this from certain members of the Urban Toronto Forum. I don't have any further updates other than what I reported to you last fall when I had lunch in Miami with Ott and Chen. Carlos I am sure knows who the architect is but he isn't saying . As I previosly said I think it's Foster but thats just my educated guess based on the few facts I know. This project, and I honestly don't know why, is really hush hush. Right now all I can tell you is it's a mixed use tower over 1000ft. and it's going south of Queen Street.

I personally do not have the time to ferret out information on projects the way some of the more industrious members of the forums do as I have a substantial business to run here in Dallas. However I am still very well connected in the architectural & development world and when I receive relevent information on Toronto projects I will gladly pass it on.

It's funny but it was at that lunch that Chen told me Shangri La was actually going to be 704ft tall not the the 740ft I had reported (from information given me by the VP of Westbank) when I first broke the news about the hotel being built in Toronto. It just goes to show you how even the people in the know sometimes don't even know all the facts

Back