News   Apr 24, 2024
 969     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Toronto Rental Cost (& AirBnB) Issues

MTown, respect the complaint is basically a golden rule kind of thing. Treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated. It's also a general customer service thing which I think you would appreciate. How hard is it not to be defensive, dismissive, annoyed, skeptical etc. especially when you are dealing with difficult people who you know are difficult people?

Regarding your hot water issue that building size is beyond my expertise and to be frank plumbing systems can be voodoo. How voodoo? Once I dealt with an issue where Toronto Hydro hooked up the power for the hot water tanks externally at the hydro pole to the street lights. So the tanks would heat when the streetlights went on and turn off when the streetlights turned off. Riddle me that possibility?

Can't say what is wrong with your building but I don't suspect the building owners relish the idea of tenants having to run the water for 30 minutes to get it hot. If they cared about the building not your complaint they may be interested in resolving it for the long-term benefit of the building.

The obvious problem in today's rental housing market, is that unlike decades ago, it is now dominated by non-professional landlords. And I wouldn't rent from a non-professional landlord for the same reason I wouldn't see a non-professional dentist.

As for the LTB….remember...it's simply a tribunal set up to keep the actual court system as unclogged as possible. Remember, you can still take your tenant/ex-tenant to court when the LTB doesn't satisfy you.

There is a solution to the Toronto rental market. It's called: HAMILTON!!
I've wanted to move for over 2 years but waited until a condo style rental building I was eyeing opened up. I refuse to rent from an amateur landlord.

Perhaps you might know what the problem in my building is then. I mean, yeah, I'm making a massive assumption here, but I may as well ask.
The manager told me that the plumbers told her it has something to do with cross pressure...then she trailed off with "I didn't really understand what they were talking about."
Well I don't understand what she was talking about.
Also, apparently, it only affects the lower floors of the building.
So, I can turn off my cold water to my unit completely and it still runs at most maybe 15 degrees. Sometimes I have to run the water for as long as 15-20 minutes to get it to warm and even longer to get it to hot.

This is well beyond my sphere of expertise, but I'm assuming it may have something to do with the hot water tanks (unless it's possible that they have tank-less water heating in a 300 unit building).

Here you go.

A detailed explanation of your issue, not by me, LOL

Google-Fu

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/plumbing14.pdf

MTown, respect the complaint is basically a golden rule kind of thing. Treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated. It's also a general customer service thing which I think you would appreciate. How hard is it not to be defensive, dismissive, annoyed, skeptical etc. especially when you are dealing with difficult people who you know are difficult people?
I personally find it very hard at work not to be dismissive of difficult people. Then again, my line of work is a bit different where I'm a bit of an artist hired specifically for a certain skill and am well-established, well-regarded, and busy enough to not have to take too much grief from anyone.

Regarding your hot water issue that building size is beyond my expertise and to be frank plumbing systems can be voodoo. How voodoo? Once I dealt with an issue where Toronto Hydro hooked up the power for the hot water tanks externally at the hydro pole to the street lights. So the tanks would heat when the streetlights went on and turn off when the streetlights turned off. Riddle me that possibility?

Can't say what is wrong with your building but I don't suspect the building owners relish the idea of tenants having to run the water for 30 minutes to get it hot. If they cared about the building not your complaint they may be interested in resolving it for the long-term benefit of the building.

What the hell was it wired like that for? That is beyond bizarre.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I do know that I'm sure as hell moving again if it doesn't get sorted. I refuse to take cold showers after working outside all day in the winter and I pay too much in rent to have to stop at a friend's on my way home to shower there.

The obvious problem in today's rental housing market, is that unlike decades ago, it is now dominated by non-professional landlords. And I wouldn't rent from a non-professional landlord for the same reason I wouldn't see a non-professional dentist.
So true. I had a landlord who on lease renewal insisted that I vacate the unit for two weeks so his relatives from Pakistan could stay there. And then also that I rent a car and drive them around during that time! He was that dilusional.

I had never even seen him the first year, but the second year of the lease he started stopping by the unit each month and banging on the door demanding I let him in. I had more problems with him so I simply told him I was leaving. He flipped out and said it was illegal for me to leave. I did and told him to FOAD. One month later the bank called to tell me my account was overdrawn because of an NSF cheque. I had them print the image at the branch and it was obviously one he had forged. It was so obvious a forgery they not only reversed the cheque immediately, they refunded all the NSF fees right there on the spot.

I now am two years in to living in a a new purpose built rental building. It's great. There was a leak from the washing machine one day and I called the 24 hour service line and it was fixed in 10 minutes and they supplied an industrial fan to blow dry the area where the water leaked. If I was still in that condo unit I would have to call that guys lawyer who would get the message two days later and maybe do something about it in three weeks?

I was speaking with a Neighbour the other day who I always assumed was a Ford voting right-of-centre person based on her rants about the "granolas" etc. who live in the neighbourhood. I was actually surprised by the way to learn she works for the City in some capacity for either Toronto Community Housing or Shelter Services. Anyway, we were speaking about housing affordability and she admitted she hasn't increased the rent for a lady living in one of her basement apartments for 15 years. That got me thinking, for all the talk about greedy Landlords I wonder if people realize the extent to which Landlords subsidize their tenants, often on purpose. I wouldn't be surprised if tens of thousands or even an order of magnitude higher amount of people and businesses in this city have their rent costs subsidized by their Landlords because they either don't bother raising the rent, don't know the market level of rent, or actively keep the rent low for altruistic reasons.

I have personal examples of that myself. We purposely kept the rent of one old lady (now dying of cancer) the same for the last 20 year at least. Not in Toronto but we kept an old war vets rent at 300 dollars a month. Clearly an alcoholic but didn't bother other people. He used to call up all the time wanting to give us rent cheques even though he had already paid. Basically, he was scared of being sent to an old age home. He eventually accomplished his goal of dying without ever having to be sent to a home.

Beware the unintended consequences: The flip side of tenant rights and rent control legislation which is clearly needed, is that if you tighten up too much you actually take away the capacity of Landlords and hence the rental housing system to be flexible. In the absence of flexibility you diminish the housing options available to renters. Tenant rights advocates and gentrifying forces may cheer Landlord licensing, rent control measures etc. However, if you want all units to be high standard, well managed, and rent levels tightly controlled Landlords will be forced to either jack rents, destroy units, or sell their units to institutional investors who will jack rents, and destroy units. There is little room for subsidizing little old ladies and war vets in a system where say all repairs must be done by licensed and insured professionals and rents can't be increased when units become vacant.

@TrickyRicky completely agree. Renters didn't really think everything through. Coming from a landlord who didn't raise rent often and when I did, it was no more than $40/$50 after year 2. Now I raise each month without even thinking about it. Also dealing with tenants differently. Much pickier when it comes to screening tenants, price non-negotiable and no "help". Strictly business. That's how tenants want it, right?

The city needs to stand firm in its plans to regulate AirBnB.

Airbnb fights back against Toronto councillors' call for platform to 'play by the rules'
A Toronto councillor is calling on Airbnb to "play by the rules" set out by the city — but the popular home-sharing website is standing firm.

In a member motion on the agenda for council this week, Coun. Joe Cressy is pushing to issue a request for Airbnb and other similar companies to voluntarily abide by city rules approved in 2017, which can't be enforced right now because of an appeal by multiple home-sharing hosts.
He cited a recent report from Fairbnb, a national coalition calling for fair regulations around home-sharing, which suggests more than 8,200 Toronto listings — or around 6,500 entire homes — would be breaking the rules permitting home-sharing only in someone's principal residence.

"That's deeply, deeply concerning to me when we have a rental housing shortage," Cressy said.
Airbnb sees it differently. In an email campaign sent to hosts and obtained by CBC Toronto, the American company accused Cressy and Coun. Kristyn Wong-Tam, who backed his motion to council, of working "hand in glove with the hotel lobby" and citing "biased and faulty research from a lobby group to villainize residents" who use the platform to earn extra income.

"It is the democratic right of impacted residents of Toronto to appeal regulations put forward by city council," the email reads. "This process exists for a reason and Airbnb will not infringe upon that right by implementing regulations that are currently being challenged."
But Thorben Wieditz, a spokesperson for Fairbnb, said the concerns are not about homeowners. Instead, the focus is large-scale commercial operators scooping up multiple homes and units to run home-sharing businesses.

Wieditz also defended the findings in Fairbnb's recent report, saying data-scraping of the Airbnb platform over the course of four years was used to identify hosts breaking the city rules — which require operators to get a licence and limit homeowners and renters to offering their primary residence, which can include up to three rooms or the entire house, for only up to 180 days per calendar year.

"What you can't do, as investors are doing, is purchase up dozens of units of homes and converting those into short-term units," echoed Cressy. "That's destabilizing for neighbourhoods."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...l-for-platform-to-play-by-the-rules-1.4997152

From the comments:
Kelly Sullivan said:
Until last year we lived across the road from a house that sold and became an AirBnB. What a nightmare: constant parties, and people coming & going at all hours with Uber & taxi horns honking. The owner didn't live there. He was basically running a hotel. The many examples in condos also show that the idea of AirBnB being families renting out spare rooms is a farce. There arepeopel "managing" dozens of condos in single buildings as AirBnBs. I woudln't be pleased if I owned a condo in a building...
John English said:
Residential homes and neighbourhoods are NOT hotels. Study after study has shown the majority of AirBnB "hosts" are actually individuals who own multiple properties and not the "struggling individual" that AirBnB likes to tout. Even then, if you're struggling to make mortgage payments then you really need to examine you finances. Renting out rooms is an extremely temporary solution.
Jack Devereaux said:
The councillors are right, this needs to be stopped. Not the situations where homeowners are renting units in their own residence but definitely the cases where people are buying up multiple units and renting them exclusively on short term sites like Airbnb. The commoditization of homes and condos has become a worldwide epidemic and is causing riots in many popular tourist cities like Barcelona.

Many people including international investors and money launderers who don't even reside in Canada...

More than 8,000 Airbnb properties are non-compliant with city regulations: report
More than 8,000 Toronto properties listed on Airbnb fail to comply with the city’s regulations for short term rentals but remain on the site pending the resolution of several court proceedings, a new report has found.
The rules, however, cannot be enforced until the resolution of multiple appeals currently before the Ontario Municipal Board.
On Wednesday, members of a coalition that has been supportive of stricter regulations for short-term rental platforms held a press conference at city hall to discuss a report examining Airbnb data through the lens of the city’s regulations.
They said that the data suggests that 8,241 units out of the estimated 19,000 Toronto units listed on AirBnb last month are not compliant with the city’s regulations and that those properties account for 73 per cent of the service’s estimated revenue in Toronto.
We can say that over 8,000 listings are not complying with the city’s rules and that 6,500 entire homes have been turned into ghost hotels and mostly in the downtown core, around the subway lines, in areas where people would have access to jobs and in area where people actually want to live and need to live,” Fairbnb researcher Thorben Wieditz said. “If the City of Toronto and the province work together on a housing supply action plan they have to take into consideration that Airbnb and short term rentals present a significant barrier to actually achieving their supply goals.”
https://www.cp24.com/news/more-than...pliant-with-city-regulations-report-1.4246904

I don’t know why the City is treating Airbnb with such kid gloves. It should be allowed but strictly regulated.

Pertaining to renters offering their place for rent on Airbnb the City and Province should be clear about what is allowed and not allowed. As it stands a renter can offer their place on Airbnb but doing so contravenes or may contravene many clauses of the housing act. It also raises liability concerns.

IMO the two major issues Toronto faces is housing prices and transportation- everything else flows from these two.

'People are stuck': Report highlights Toronto's housing crunch as city prepares 10-year plan
Delisi's experience points to a "grim" trend highlighted in a new report underpinning the city's next wave of housing planning: Toronto residents are grappling with a housing crunch that's on track to get worse if there's not enough government action, thanks to low rates of social housing and purpose-built rental construction coupled with rising population growth.

"People are stuck," said Jeff Evenson, director of the Canadian Urban Institute, one of two outside research institutes behind the report.

"And they're stuck at every point along the housing continuum."
On one end of the spectrum, residents waiting for supportive housing remain in homeless shelters, hospitals, rooming houses or other forms of housing that don't meet their needs for an average of five to seven years, according to the research team.

Meanwhile, renters hoping to buy are forced to wait more than a decade — typically between 11 to 27 years — so they can save enough for a 10 per cent down payment on a median-price home.
"It's absolute misery out there right now," echoed tenant advocate Geordie Dent, executive director of the Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations.

Renters now report spending three or four months trying to find a unit, and often wind up forking over a large chunk of their income on rent, he explained.

"Either the feds and province are going to start building housing the way it was built before, or the whole thing is going to come crashing down," Dent said.
Graham Haines, research and policy manager at Ryerson University's City Building Institute, said the big challenge Toronto faces right now is fixing existing public housing stock, with the latest draft budget from the city noting Toronto Community Housing faces a "funding shortfall" as repair costs continue to rise for the aging buildings.

"That's a big problem," said Haines. "We have this shortfall of social housing and yet we continue to defer the maintenance of what we already have, which is going to take more and more of that housing offline."

"The prosperity of the city itself is at risk if people can't come here and work because there's not an affordable place to live," Gadon said.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...runch-as-city-prepares-10-year-plan-1.5008727

I agree on both the transportation and housing fronts; however, with respect to housing I'm not sure many of the issues aren't as they are presented in the media.

General housing costs on an absolute basis are clearly inflated by cyclical market conditions that may or may not ease based on macro-economic conditions. On a relative basis your competition for housing is reflective of the demand from others so it's a major quality of life problem but not necessarily indicative of a general economic problem. Affordable housing for all would be great for median quality of life but it may be indicative of poor economic prospects for all.

With respect to social or "affordable housing" (really subsidized housing): the much published chronic shortage and quality of units is actually not telling us anything. Good quality, below market units would always have massive wait lists no matter what you do. The real question is who needs to live in these units and therefore how many do we need? Like what's the point of building units and housing people at 80% of market value if you need more units for people to afford who are subsisting on Ontario Disability payments which can't come close to that 80% level? My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that TCHC has all kinds of underutilized capacity while at the same time people are waiting decades for spots? What societal objective are we trying to achieve with TCHC and who is asking those questions?

Similarly, with shelter services we keep hearing about the crisis. There certainly is a crisis but how much is it just a systemic lack of direction? Certain segments of the population ( such as women with serious mental health and addiction problems ) are dangerously underserved is my understanding and yet a graphic on homelessness in an article I read a while back showed there has been virtually no increase in the percentage of the domestic population trying to access shelters. Virtually all the increased demand has come from refugees. Why are refugees being housed in a system for domestic homeless?

I agree on both the transportation and housing fronts; however, with respect to housing I'm not sure many of the issues aren't as they are presented in the media.

General housing costs on an absolute basis are clearly inflated by cyclical market conditions that may or may not ease based on macro-economic conditions. On a relative basis your competition for housing is reflective of the demand from others so it's a major quality of life problem but not necessarily indicative of a general economic problem. Affordable housing for all would be great for median quality of life but it may be indicative of poor economic prospects for all.

With respect to social or "affordable housing" (really subsidized housing): the much published chronic shortage and quality of units is actually not telling us anything. Good quality, below market units would always have massive wait lists no matter what you do. The real question is who needs to live in these units and therefore how many do we need? Like what's the point of building units and housing people at 80% of market value if you need more units for people to afford who are subsisting on Ontario Disability payments which can't come close to that 80% level? My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that TCHC has all kinds of underutilized capacity while at the same time people are waiting decades for spots? What societal objective are we trying to achieve with TCHC and who is asking those questions?

Similarly, with shelter services we keep hearing about the crisis. There certainly is a crisis but how much is it just a systemic lack of direction? Certain segments of the population ( such as women with serious mental health and addiction problems ) are dangerously underserved is my understanding and yet a graphic on homelessness in an article I read a while back showed there has been virtually no increase in the percentage of the domestic population trying to access shelters. Virtually all the increased demand has come from refugees. Why are refugees being housed in a system for domestic homeless?

I think there are many things to unpack here.

First we have to differentiate ownership from rental.

On that front, we clearly have real estate costs that have risen beyond normal cyclical highs.

I would describe the pricing as irrational and unsustainable based on any normative economic model.

Yet it is sustaining (thus far) and that suggests we need to look at what changed.

I think we have a pretty obvious answer which is that the proportion of buyers of homes and condos doing so as investments, some renting them out conventionally and/or in airbnb style, others not, are at the root of this.

We can see what has changed over time, ie. new platforms for renting like airbnb, greater income inequality, condos moving much more towards pre-sales of multiple units to preferred brokers/buyers, lower down payment requirements etc.

I would argue we have to unwind some of those changes to restore a more normative market.

We can pick and choose from a menu of options, but I would suggest something like

1) raise all down payments back to 10%

2) however, down payments on second and subsequent properties should have to be much higher, say 50%. This would reduce market speculation.

3) likewise, I would be inclined to raise capital gains tax back to 75% (that would hit me, but I'm ok w/that)

4) I would also be inclined to take 'shadow market' issues around beneficial ownership

5) We have to restrict airbnb and like companies as they are taking homes out of both the rental and sale market. Restricting them to being rented only by a live-in owner, for a maximum number of days each year would put more property back in play.

Once we get there..........we have to take a closer look at rental.

I think some of the above changes would help increase long-term rentals at the expense of short-term or properties held vacant, but more is needed.

I would suggest two actions here:

1) We need to restore CMHC back commercial mortgages on long-term rentals, in exchange for holding rents down in the units backed by same.

The lowered cost (taking a commercial finance rate from 8% to 4% represents a substantial savings that can be passed on to a renter. Likely in the range of an 6% reduction to market prices as of right.

But the additional pressure from competition would lower them further.

2) Fully lower multi-residential property tax to the same as the single-family home class but do so all at once, with a requirement that the savings be passed through to tenants.

This would lower rents in the range of $125 for a typical renter.

Most of the rest comes down to the need to raise incomes.

Lets note that if you raised minimum wage to what it is in NYC right now, $15USD, that would be $20CAD per hour, which, roughly, works out to an extra $1,000 per month gross, and probably about $750 net per month for a full-time worker.

That would make a lot of people much more comfortable in terms of housing costs.

For those on retirement incomes, the answer is raising the retirement age, but reinvesting the savings in taking CPP to a 40% pension (its current moving from 25% to 33%) and restoring OAS to a 20% income replacement on average from the 14% it has eroded to.

That leaves those on ODSP and OW.

While raising the incomes for this last group is unlikely to make private housing affordable to single-income households it may help for dual-income households.

Its worthwhile either way.

So let's just consider where that incomes is today, vs where it used to be.

Today a single person on OW gets just $733 per month had it simply kept pace with inflation (as opposed to the reduction and freeze imposed by Mike Harris) would be $1,027 today.

While someone on ODSP current gets $1,169 per month, but if they hadn't faced an extended freeze they'd be at $1426 per month.

Just recovering to those levels would ease the housing crisis substantially.

It would also help if the shelter allowance rate was varied to account for cost of housing in the GTA. An extra $300 a month for a single, up to $500 for a family would go a long way.

In saying the above, I think its important that we reduce the proportion of people on ODSP/OW.

I happen to have a positive view that many of those folks can and would get themselves working or working more if we removed some of the poverty traps.

Right now, if you move from the above to work, you may lose your drug/dental coverages.

Its important that we move to universal core pharmacare and dental care, over time, so that no one stays on benefits to access these.

Likewise, we have very high tax-back rates if people on OW/ODSP get a job. That seems absurd, and its worse than that, because if they are also in community housing and their rent is RGI (rent geared to income)...they also
face a higher rent due to a job.

Imagine this scenario for a single person.

OW $733 per month, of which 30% goes to rent in your RGI unit, so you pay $220 in rent, and try to live on the remaining $513 for the month.

Now you go out and get a PT job and minimum wage for 20 hours per week.

That gets you a gross income of $1,120 for a month, before tax, or something around $900 after tax (before a tax return up to 12 months later)

Great! You're on your way.

Except.....Ontario exempts you only up to $300 per month in income.

It then takes back 75% of each $100 thereafter.

I don't know if they use gross or net, but I'll use net here.

So you lose $450 of your OW check.

You're now only $450 per month ahead.

But wait, your total income has risen from $733 to $1,120 (employment income)+ $283 (residual OW) for a total of $1,403 per month.

So your rent also rises to 30% of that number or $421 per month.

That's an increased expense of $201 per month.

Leaving you ahead by only $249 per month, for 20 hours of work.

Take same scenario but make it 30 hours and OW reduces to zero, you lose drug and dental coverages and your rent rockets to $504 per month.

So you gross $1,680 but you pocket about $1,260, then your rent rises $284 per month, leaving you with $976 (out of which you still have your original rent level to pay)

That compares with OW at $733

So your gain for working 30 hours per week is roughly $243 per month.

That's just insane. What a perverse disincentive to work.

Back