Toronto Regent Park: Phases 4 and 5 | 134.1m | 39s | Tridel | Karakusevic Carson Architects

TCHC Design Review Panel is meeting this Friday.

They will be looking at the initial high-level concepts here.

Many of the slides are the same as shown on the previous page, but there are some new ones which I will endeavour to share.

Hopefully not too many repeats. Slides are in the same order as the presentation deck.

Presentation Link: https://www.torontohousing.ca/events/Documents/Design Review Panel/TCHC DRP - Jan 28, 2022.pdf

1643209914321.png

1643209990187.png

1643210072007.png

1643210107752.png

* note from me; bike lanes/cycle tracks are being looked at for Gerrard. No firm decisions yet to my understanding.

1643210175783.png
1643210205761.png

On the slide below, note the Pink building, this is the relocated Gerrard/Parliament Library, significantly enlarged to over 20,000ft2

1643210287946.png

1643210322531.png

1643210347027.png

1643210416515.png

I hope high density option is selected, this stretch of gerrard is serviced by the 506 Streetcar which is connected to literally 3 subway stations and both of the major universities. You fairly easily support the 17+ floor "high rise".

Last edited:
I hope high density option is selected, this stretch of gerrard is serviced by the 504 506

There, fixed that for ya!

which is connected to literally 3 subway stations and both of the major universities. You fairly easily support the 17+ floor "high rise".

I can say with some certainly that the higher density option is favoured; but it's not yet finalized.

There will be political approvals require at some point.

When do they make a decision about which density option to select ?

More and taller towers at Regent Park

To accommodate the additional density, there will be more mid- and high-rise buildings, and a plan for townhomes has been dropped. Reasons for excluding townhomes include the provision of additional open space, and because such housing is no longer financially viable on prime downtown development lots.

“We will now build a slightly larger number of rent-geared-to-income units, 633 which is what we need to hit that magic number (2,083) . . . and achieve some new affordable rental, the 500 new affordable rentals,” Zimmerman said.

“They are differently configured so there’s no longer three tower sites, there are five I believe in the plan. What had previously been the tallest building, at 25 storeys, this proposal has the tallest building at 38. More towers, taller towers and no longer doing any townhouses, it is all mid-rise and high-rise construction.”

This would mean a total of about 9,000 housing units in Regent Park, rather than about 8,000 from the original plans.

The partners say approval of the rezoning will increase the supply of badly needed housing in Toronto and allow for additional amenities to support Regent Park and surrounding neighbourhoods.

The submission includes provision for a new Toronto Public Library branch, almost 48,000 square feet of additional commercial and retail space and over 37,900 square feet of community and cultural space.

“Tridel is excited to be a strategic partner for such an important initiative. We are thrilled to be working closely with both Toronto Community Housing and the City of Toronto to support the need to build housing throughout the city,” Tridel CEO Dino Carmel said in a release about the application.

“The Regent Park revitalization of Phases 4 and 5 is a long-term partnership focused on providing innovative, actionable solutions to affordable housing.”

Demolish existing buildings

The Phase 4 and 5 lands are currently occupied mainly by low-rise and townhome units, most constructed during the late 1940s and early 1950s, which will be demolished for the redevelopment. Zimmerman said occupants still living in the residences will be relocated to other TCHC sites when they’re ready to proceed with construction.

“We would love it to be done in the space of 12 months, hopefully no longer than two years,” he said, pending approval by council.

...is that 633 additional RGI units to what there is now?

(Probably still a drop in a bucket of what is needed if so...but at least a positive step in a good direction.)

First thing that jumps out at me is that they chose to make the new Library free-standing; and 4-storeys. I'm assuming they're aiming for a TPL statement piece here.

Other notes, PFS is the Landscape architect.

Looking at the plans, virtually all existing trees will be removed.

However, there's much to commend here.........

Almost entirely interlocking pavers for the hardscape; extensive pollinator gardens, at least 2 water features, and a grand Allee.

On that last one........AHEM.......City of Toronto.....after Bloor, Queen's Quay and the Promenade, please let this not be one species all the way along......
One species River to Sumach, a different one from Sumach to Sackville and another further west. Risk-management!

But lets look at the plans:

1651540215164.png

1651540248889.png

1651540282929.png

In respect of the overall site, here is the statistical summary:

1651540541603.png

Back